Bunnyguy
Kind of sounds silly...6ft 1 inches tall....245 pound truck driver...dogs....no...(but I love them and ALL ANIMALS)..my pets...bunny rabbits...and believe me..they are treated like royalty. Fresh food everyday, they live in a 3 story "bunny condo" that is approx 150 sq ft when we aren't home...complete with chew proof carpet and ceramic tile as well. It's in our living room so they are with us, and when we are at home...the door is open, and they can run and play, along with interacting with the family.
I have a 10 pound English Spot/Rex mix, and until today, a little brown 4 pound Mini Rex..names are Pepper and EB. Pepper is a female that plays a little..but enjoys relaxing in the condo most of the time. Little EB was out and about when I was home, socializing and saying hello to everyone at home. He was a happy, very loving and playful bunny...and he and I were inseparable..I rescued him 3 years ago and bonded him with Pepper, they were both fixed, and made our home his home, with lots of love and attention.
EB ( Easter Bunny), had a problem with stasis (his appetite would go away due to gut motility slowing down).. but I always treated it and got him back on track. Last week, he got a case I couldn't treat, so off to the vet where we found points on his molars that were hurting his tongue, so I had them removed. But when I got him back from the vet, his appetite was there...but he could not chew properly...a problem he never had before. I thought it would go away...the vet thought his mouth might be a little sore. I syringe and hand fed him the next two days, but no improvement. I asked the vet if something went wrong during the 15 minute procedure.. he said no, and all looked good. I continued syringe feeding and hand feeding for a week. But during the week you could see him getting depressed that he couldn't eat on his own, which broke my heart more every day. He couldn't eat hay at all, and that is the most important thing in their diet. His energy level kept dropping, along with his happy-go-lucky personality. I didn't want him getting malnourished, and suffer, and I didn't want him unhappy over his lack of independence, so today I had him put to sleep. I'm broken-hearted...I miss him so much, and I know Pepper is going through a lot also..so I'm giving her more attention now as well as missing him.
He has meant so much to me, and I love him so much..life just won't be nearly as special without my "best buddy". EB....you came into my life and gave me the gift of love, and I will love you forever.
Quote 0 0
William
Hi
I'm so sorry for the loss of EB.. love the name. It sounds like you did everything you could to help EB recover from the procedure. I'm so sorry things didn't work out.
Pepper is going to miss EB also.

You loved EB and did all you could. You have your memories in your heart. This is not easy to go through. You do have Pepper who needs extra love now. You have each other as you grieve the loss of EB.

I'm sorry for your loss
Kim
Kim
Quote 0 0
Bunnyguy
Thank you....I have always tried to give Pepper love also, but she's more of a loner, who will let you know when she wants attention. However....right now I'm trying to give her extra love...she's doing very well...better than me actually. Eating well and resting. Right now I'm sleeping on the couch next to the condo so Pepper has me here and doesn't feel alone at night.
EB was a very special bunny from the minute I adopted him after his rescue. We just "clicked" with a very special bond from the beginning. He absolutely loved being around people, was very loving, very mischievous and funny. And he and Pepper were crazy about each other. And of course...my bunnies are spoiled rotten, they know my goal is to make their lives nothing but carefree fun and to take care of them and love them...and I know EB knew how much he is still loved.
This isn't easy...but I'm glad for a support system. EB is my best friend, and always will be. But I know if he could actually talk to me, he'd tell me to take care of "his Pepper"...he knows I will. So for now the tears flow, but I carry on
Quote 0 0
William
Bunnyguy:
You really loved your EB and this is so difficult to go through. I lost my 14 year old best friend 3 months ago. William was a daschund. He was my world. He was my only pet.
EB and William gave us love because we gave them the best lives. I have no regrets about Williams life. I gave him my heart and soul and in return he gave me the happiest 14 years I could ever ask for.
I'm still crying but some of the raw pain has lifted.
Keep the memories of EB alive. He was different from Pepper but he would want you to help Pepper adjust.

Cry as much as you need to. We need to grieve to heal ourselves.

Kim❤️💕
Kim
Quote 0 0
Bunnyguy
Thanks...I will always take care of Pepper...she's very special to me also.
What hurts the most about this is I should have had more years with EB ( Pepper should have also)..this all happened last week after his teeth were worked on...not being able to chew food was never an issue. I feel like something happened during the procedure that isn't being told. But he is a very good exotic vet, and I trust him ...for now...but I question what happened, and like I said, I feel as though I should still have him with me for a few more years. But I guess it is good he never experienced raw pain or suffering, so I don't know. So many questions will go unanswered, but I guess that doesn't matter now. It wouldn't be as raw if I knew he lived a full life, and went when he was a ripe old age for a bunny...but he was only five (and a very young at heart five), very healthy and happy...I just feel as though I was robbed.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I learned (from a lovely person who posts here sometimes, called "heartsick" or Susan) that bunnies are incredibly fragile and sensitive and their systems are so easily upset by things that other animals such as dogs or cats would sail through. There is nothing we can do to help that. It's just the way they are. I don't personally know, having never had a bunny companion, But look for her posts and threads.

I am so sorry about EB. Bless his Soul. I don't obviously know if something went wrong during his dental work but perhaps if the teeth didn't align properly?? Bunnies eat with a side-to-side grinding motion don't they? Perhaps that wasn't easy for him after the surgery? Or perhaps his gums felt sore? But with bunnies being so fragile, this impacted his quality of life so much, I am sure it was kinder to let him go. Being unable to eat is no fun.

My kindest thoughts to you. Yes give Pepper lots of cuddles. Dogs are great at helping us though difficult times.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 1 0
Bunnyguy
As for rabbits...yes...they are tough little boogers, but very fragile as well...anything out of the ordinary can set them into stasis due to stress, their teeth as well. Pepper just went into stasis last night...some infant simethicone and Metacam and she's fine now and eating like a little pig again. I'm sure she is still trying to adjust to not having EB here, just like me.
Dogs are great at helping on times of trouble...like I said, I ADORE all animals. My neighbors have 2 Boxers and a Boston Terrior, and I'm always playing with them. Animals are so special in so many ways.
As for EB's teeth, I'm not sure, I know his side to side was there, but his teeth just didn't "mesh" like you said. He should have been eating like a pig 5 hours after the procedure, ( rabbits...though fragile...heal extremely fast), and he tried to eat as soon as we got home...but couldn't, and I knew something was wrong. But like you said...I thought maybe he was just sore and would heal...that never happened, and I lost someone very important in my life.
So now it's Pepper and myself...we will get through this, but no doubt we will both always miss EB terribly....he was one-in-a-million
Quote 0 0
Marie123
I'm so sorry to hear about EB. My best friend's bunny Snoopy passed only a week and a half after I said goodbye to my sweet black cat Raven and it was like like a double punch to our hearts! Whenever I'd go to her house one of the first things I did was say hi to Snoopy and Squirt, her cat. He'd hop around in his enclosure and play bunny keep- away until I gave him a treat. He was probably about 12 or 13 when he passed. It was really a blow to us both. People don't realize how awesome rabbits can be as pets. He just had such a personality! She says the house feels different with him gone (4 months now, a bit longer for Raven) and I believe it. I and my other cats are still adjusting to our Raven-less household 😭
It sounds as if you absolutely love your sweet bunnies. God bless you for rescuing an innocent creature like you did! EB was clearly loved and you went above and beyond for him. He knows that, and will never stop loving you. Take good care of Pepper because like you said, the other animals take awhile to adjust and I'm sure she's missing him. I've been giving my other cats, especially my remaining little girl Roswell, extra love too. Maybe EB, Raven and Snoopy are friends now, eating treats and fields full of clover and binkying all over the place, and talking about what great humans they had to love them here on Earth.
Don't be ashamed of your grief, either. There's no rhyme or reason to grief, and no rules, so do whatever you need to do to get through this awful time. It's only normal to feel this way when a loved one is gone.
Blessings to you,
Marie and the crew 🐰🐇
Quote 0 0
Bunnyguy
Thanks so much for the kind words... EB was an incredible bunny...loved life, and people...and he and Pepper were inseparable...Pepper is starting to recover. Coming out of her condo to play and run a little around the house. Had a couple small bouts of stasis,,, but doing much better now.
I picked up EB's cremated remains yesterday and brought them home. I promised him this was his forever home, and I would always be with him, and I will never break a promise to him...or Pepper...he's near the condo, close to Pepper, and in a place of honor. I know I'll heal...but never completely....a piece of my heart and soul were ripped out of me with his passing...he always knew when I had a bad day, and would come up to me when the condo door was opened... always happy when I got home...hugs and kisses as soon as I got home from work...Pepper is a wonderful rabbit also...but EB was one-in-a-million, and the tears still flow as I write this.
I hope EB is playing with all the other animals, and having the time of his life...I just hope he knows how much I love him, and how much I miss him. Blessings to you as well...and I hope the days are getting brighter for you.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Thank you, Bunnyman. It's been a hard summer for a lot of us I see. Every day I still cry for our babies. Raven's ashes have a place of honor as well. I had a pendant made with some, and wear it on days when I especially miss her. I'm so glad Pepper is doing better. It can be hard on the other animals to lose their buddy so you're doing the right thing by giving her extra love. My friend misses Snoopy a lot as do I. I remember when we got him, he was the cutest thing ever!
I know EB loves you, and knows how much you loved him as well. When a love that strong is forged, there's a thread connecting us to our loved ones that can never be broken. It's a tangible thing. I talk to Raven like she's still here and ask her for help and guidance. She's my guardian angel now, just as I was her's. That's how it will be for you now, with your dear friend. He's watching over you right now and can still see when you're upset or sad. They still see, and still know.
May you find some peace knowing this. And just know you're not alone on this bumpy road 🐱🐰
Quote 0 0
September
Bunnyguy, I lost my house bun Timothy 7 weeks ago and I know exactly what you have been through, and are still going through. I have to hide my feelings now because I know people do not understand how wonderful and special rabbits are as house pets, and how my heart is still breaking because I miss him like crazy. "It's just a rabbit...not such a big deal....get another". I know that's what some people think. So I don't mention Timothy anymore and when I cry, I cry alone. Even my husband thinks I have fully come to terms with it now, but I haven't and it is a very lonely place. That is why I came here.

One thing I have learnt is that grief is not just about bereavement, it is about loss. Timothy gave something to me that is inexplainable. You may understand that more than most. It's said that angels can take the form of rabbits on earth. No matter how rubbish things got, at work or family problems, it didn't matter. He was always there, and just looking at him made everything right in the world. So part of my grief is that loss. It has gone forever. It won't ever be the same again.

Binky free.....Timothy and EB

Xxx

"The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal"      C.S. Lewis
Quote 0 0
Loobie
I know how you feel, I am heartbroken too at the moment. I can only hope it begins to pass as time goes on. I wish you well xxxx
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Like all creatures, bunnies are individuals. And like all creatures they can give you something that's just priceless. Their capacity to love is unmatched. Our grief when they leave us is unmatched as well 🐰
Quote 0 0