pollypocket
It happened so suddenly and it was extremely unexpected. We had to make the decision to lay my Moo Moo to rest yesterday and I haven’t stopped crying since. He was only 8 years old and the best cat. He was affectionate, loved when I picked him up, he made the cutest sounds. He was the kitten of my mom’s cat and I had raised him since the moment he was born.
The last few days he had been steadily losing weight, I had assumed that my dogs had been sneaking food out of his dish so I fed him separately in another room, but he lost his appetite. I took him to the vet the day before yesterday and they had found pleural effusion around his lungs, making it incredibly difficult for him to breathe. He was in a lot of discomfort.

They kept him overnight to monitor him with oxygen and tried to drain the fluids, I called periodically and the next morning they called saying that he looked a lot better, more alert and was cheerful to see them. But as the day went on he declined rapidly. They called me in to come as soon as possible and I rushed over immediately. He wasn’t himself at all and I don’t know if he knew I was there. Saying goodbye was so painful, but I know it was the right thing to do, I didn’t want him to suffer. I stayed in the room when they administered it and he had a slight reaction, he gave out a cry. I keep replaying it in my head.
The vet explained that he had grown a tumor and it had progressed rapidly, that even if I had brought him in weeks earlier that there was nothing they would’ve been able to do.

I guess it’s just hard for me to come to terms with the loss because I didn’t see it coming. I have three other pets with health issues: a 13 yr old senior dog, a 2 year old dog with a genetic condition, and Moo Moo’s sister, who’s been having on and off issues with the litter box.
Moo Moo’s health was spotless up to this point and he was the last one I expected to go. I feel guilty because I was caught up in taking care of his siblings that i should’ve given him more attention. If I had known this was his end, I would have squeezed him everyday and told him how much I loved him. I just miss him so much.
Quote 0 0
Chandlers_Dad
Polly pocket,

I am so sorry to hear about Moo Moo. You're in the raw grief zone, as I call it: enormous pain but yet numbness, ruminating the end, the emptiness of his absence, and second guessing that he knew how much you loved him. It's normal (albeit so painful) to focus on the end rather than the memories of his life, but you will be able to look at the lifetime of love and happiness. I promise. No, it won't be tomorrow, nor next week, and probably not even next month.

This forum helps so many people and reading what others are going through gives comfort that is hard to find elsewhere. Here you can cry, rant, talk all you want, and know that people here care. They get it; they have lived it.

I Lost my baby Chandler 8 months ago and I really questioned how I could go on. He was a big, beautiful, loving orange tabby and I loved him more than life. It took time, but I was able to move ever so slowly along.

And then, this week his sweet sister and littermate, Phoebe, left me pretty suddenly. She was such an angel, and she tried very successfully to fill the void in my heart, giving me the love Chandler wasn't here to give anymore. My heart is shattered all over again.

In between my tears, I read these posts and feel less alone. I know we will be fine, and that we all need each other. I am so glad you came here.

My thoughts and best wishes go to you.
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Pollypocket,

I am so sorry for your loss of Moo Moo. No loss at any time is ever easy, but it seems to be especially hard when it’s unexpected. I so relate to worrying if our other pet’s health issues distracted us from noticing everything we should have. And also relate to it being the healthy one that went before the others, and wishing you could have given them a lot more attention. I hear you so much on those points.

There are no words to adequately describe how awful cancer is. The quickness in which it takes our pets once we actually know they have it, is so wrong on so many levels. It doesn’t even give us a fighting chance. From the sound of it though, it doesn’t seem like you could have really done anything to prevent it.

I am sorry you’re going through this. It is a process and there aren’t a lot of words to ease it. But know our thoughts are with you. Sending many hugs your way and hoping for some comfort to find you today.

Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0