donparr
I guess the best way to describe my approximate 16 year relationship with my Lady baby is this, she didn't belong to me, "I" belonged to her. She was 24 pounds of pure love wrapped in fur with 4 paws and a tail. She constantly had to know where I was, and there wasn't a sacred place in the house. I'd be doing my business in the bathroom, she'd use her nose or paw to open the door, come in and plop down between my feet. I'd be napping in the living room, computer room, etc., and she'd sneak up and lick my nose just to let me know everything was OK. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it often scared the hell out of me when she did that! If I was in a room she couldn't get in, she'd plop down just the other side of the door and wait. She was always even tempered, never even growled at another human being of any age, well except for those that came to the door that didn't belong here, sales people and such. Other fur-babies though, that was a different story. When she was near one of us, especially her Daddy, if another fur-baby dared come near, they would get the business end of Lady's dirty face accompanied with whatever growling and barking she thought necessary to ward off the evil creatures. She loved the stuffed toys with squeakers in them and would work as hard as she could to get the squeaker out of them. Whenever she got excited, she had to run and find one of her babies (stuffed toys) as she was never more ferocious than when she had one in her mouth. On the occasional trips to the groomer's, Pet Smart or the vet, she loved to hang her head out the window and get as much wind in her face and nose as she possibly could. Another of her antics that intrigued me was her knack for "fixing" blankets, rugs and pillows. Not that they needed fixing but she thought they did and would work diligently till they were just so, then she'd lay next to them or just walk off and lay down somewhere else. On rare occasions, she would actually lay on the rug or blanket she just 'fixed.' We bought doggie beds of various sizes and Lady would dutifully sleep next to them, again, once in a great while she'd actually get in one. Her favorite sleeping places were the bathrooms, back patio and most anywhere on the tile in the dining room, entry way or hallway. I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss her and wish she hadn't had to go. I don't know if I'll see her again but it feels good to think there's that possibility, you know? Our Lady left us on Friday, April 1, 2016 but she will forever be in my heart, and her paw prints will forever be on my heart.

Still Lady's Daddy
Quote 0 0
BeachieGirl33
So sorry for your loss.  Please rest assured that your Lady is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.  She is running free and playing with the Angels. I will say a prayer for you. 

Peace and hugs to you!
Betty
Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
I am so sorry for your loss. You had a wonderful life with Lady. She sounds like a character. You will see her again. We all believe this here on the forum. I think that is what keeps is going.
I hope you find some peace.
Tammy
Quote 0 0
donparr
Thank you for the replies, Betty and Tammy, much appreciated. I'm so thankful I found this forum, it has helped immensely as I work through the grieving process. Each day gets just a little easier to get through but the pain is still very real, as you know. It's a definite help to know there are kind, loving and compassionate people here that know first hand what I'm going through.

Don
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Hi Don,
I really enjoyed reading your story of Lady. What a beautiful bond you shared! Many of the things you describe remind me so much of my Bailey: needing to know where I was, loving his squeak toys and especially how he loved the wind in his face. I would steal quick glances at the rearview mirror while I was driving and the look on his face was of sheer ecstasy. I'm sure it was the same with your Lady. I laughed when you said it "scared the hell out of you when she licked your nose as you were napping". It's so good to think of funny things because all of the wonderful memories leave such a hole in your heart - but in time they will bring a smile to our faces. I feel very strongly that you 'will' see Lady again! Meanwhile, know that the people on this forum really do understand and sympathize with what you are going through.
I am so very sorry for your loss!
MJ
Quote 0 0
donparr
Thank you for your reply, MJ, very much appreciated. Some days are harder to get through than others, and it appears today is going to be one of those. It's been almost a week since our sweet Lady left and I still find myself listening and looking for her. Knowing she's no longer suffering helps but ending her suffering started mine, how ironic is that? This is the first time in over 30 years there are no fur-babies in the house. I'm convinced they do so much more for us than we do for them. I'm hoping someday soon we'll be ready to welcome the next fur-baby into our home and shower him / her with copious amounts of love and hugs.

Don
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
don, i am so sorry about your loss of lady and found your post about her a wonderful tribute to a wonderfully loved friend.  you are so right, they never belong to "us" but they know we totally belong to them.  the days and weeks after they leave us are the hardest by far but sometimes i think we'll always have a day here, a day there when the thoughts of our beloved companions bring us back to grief even for the shortest of time.  our fur-babies do so much more for us and our health than many don't realize; they calm us when we pet them, they listen to us without interrupting when we need to vent, they shadow us if they sense we aren't feeling well.  i was blessed to have an extraordinary aussie girl for my service dog.  roxie crossed the bridge the evening after Christmas and it seemed like it was sudden but doc seems to feel she had it for a time without ever showing me - after all, her mission was to make my life easier and not give me worries.  seems to me that since she waited until the day after that she wanted to make sure we had a last Christmas together.  this forum is a wonderful place for those of us grieving.  we can cry, vent or remember without anyone ever telling us to "get over it".  we all understand completely and are here for each other.  sending you many hugs
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
donparr
Thank you for your reply, JerseyNonna. I'm having a rough day but wanted to thank you for your kind words of encouragement for better days ahead. Lord I hope so. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so thankful to have a place to visit where everyone gets it and I don't have to hear (read) "get over it" by those that don't get it. Thanks too for the hugs, always welcome and they always help.

Don
Quote 0 0
JCC25
Peace be with you Don. The special bond with a dog is blessing that unfortunately not everyone understands. I lost my beloved little pal this morning after a sudden heart ailment this week. I'm so lost and absolutely devastated right now but so grateful for the 9 years I had with my little buddy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Lady. Home just doesn't feel like home tonight and will probably never feel the same again
Quote 0 0
donparr
So sorry for your loss, JCC25. So many here share our pain and anguish. I know you share my hopes that our fur-babies are in a better place that's at least pain and suffering free. Sending good thoughts your way and hope our burden lightens a little with each passing day.

Don
Quote 0 0