Ryanne
Hey guys,

I will say to start off it has been super helpful to read through threads and not feel alone. I have been, what feels like, plagued by guilt and the what ifs. I've been tracking down everything I've done for him and where I might've did something wrong to cause his death.

I had a pet rabbit that lived until 4 years old. His name was Finn and his breed was hotot. I miss him like crazy. His cage was with me in my room and he was like my buddy everyday. Even though I had my responsibilities like making sure he came out to play and exercise, as well as giving him his food, hay, and water, he hung out with me too. Whenever I walked into that room he was jumping around in his cage out of excitement and would paw at his cage until I sat down and opened his cage to pet him and greet him with kisses. He loved following me around with his cute little hops and I would try not to trip over him because he was right under my feet! If I left any room in the house that he was in he would make sure to be by me at all times. I never thought I would develop such a bond with a cute bunny like him, but I did.

He died rather quickly and unexpectedly on July 5th, 2018. When I came into my room after going to my grandpa's funeral on July 2nd, he was hiding in his cage under the ramp that he had. It wasn't like him to hide at all and I was very worried for him. I thought the heat was bothering him, even with fans running and he had his food and water with him. I made sure to pump up the AC immediately and refreshed his water. I held his water bottle to him and he did drink but he still hid and didn't eat his food that I fed him before I left in the morning. I let him out to see if he just needed to get out and run around but he was still tired. I knew since he wasn't eating and being tired I needed to bring him to his vet ASAP, so I brought him in the next day. His vitals were fine. No temperature concerns, his heart and lungs were in the clear. The only concerns were his stomach since he wasn't eating and a brown discharge from his nose. I thought it was poop because it looked exactly like it, but he said it was boogers from his nose. I'm still unsure what is was or why that happened. I trusted my vet and assumed that was the correct call and he didn't seem too concerned about it so I wasn't either. My vet prescribed an antibiotic as well as medicine for his tummy to get him to have an appetite and get his stomach to move. I fed him by syringe with critical care since he wasn't eating and drinking on his own at all and I gave his medicine to him as prescribed. I used this medicine before when switching his diet and after getting fixed so I felt confident. However, he kept growing more tired and he continued to hide.

My vet was closed on July 4th but I never thought that would be my last day with him. The last time I tried feeding him that night he just looked at me as the food dripped out of his mouth. It looked like he gave up right then and there. I held him and cuddled with him for a good hour in my arms before returning him to his cage for him to hide away. When I woke up the next day he was still hanging out in his cage. When I came home on my lunch break he was gone. I planned to take him to the vet again that day to get blood work and X-rays done. It all happened so fast. It totally and completely broke my damn heart. I miss my baby everyday. I haven't slept in my room since then and I find myself talking to him and hugging and kissing his urn whenever I can.

Thank you for letting me vent and reading this. I love you, Finny. Mommy misses you. COV5ZTCWoAAVXa1.jpg large.jpg
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is so difficult to lose our babies, the pain is so terribly intense and we miss them so much. Post as often as you need to, it's helped me tremendously. Take care of yourself. Your Finny was absolutely beautiful.
Quote 0 0
Ryanne
MAlcindor wrote:
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is so difficult to lose our babies, the pain is so terribly intense and we miss them so much. Post as often as you need to, it's helped me tremendously. Take care of yourself. Your Finny was absolutely beautiful.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Quote 0 0