joeysmama
My sweet Bassett Hound Joey, I've had since a puppy had to be euthanized this past Sunday. He was 16.7 years old. His health has been declining in the past months. Saturday he was completely disconnected and wasn't better the next day. Would go to his water and not drink it. So confused. He had confusion but not this is degree. He got stuck behind our AC in the middle of the night and howling. Paced the fence in the heat (he hated heat). have to give him bottled water. We were hoping the next day it would pass since he drank some water on his own and was eating. The next day he had his head against the wall, standing up. He seemed so lost and confused. Horrible to watch. I've tried to prepare myself for this day but it didn't make it easier. Me my husband decided it was time. We were scared he would hurt himself while we were at work. I'm lost and I can't stop crying. I don't feel like I'm going to make it through this. I have another senior dog that has been with him, his whole life. He's doing ok. I keep crying over and over and I want to scream. I"m so lost! my heart is so broken I feel like I'm in a fog. I want him back. I wanted to go back and see if I could catch them before they put them down. which they did it right then when we were leaving. I wanted to go into the room with him but I knew I would bawl. I'm going nuts. I'm hurting so much
Sheri Smith
Joey my Angel, I miss you so much. 
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Dear Sheri,

I am so very sorry for your loss and can relate so well to what you wrote there. My beloved Max was so confused in his last weeks and it was so sad to see. I understand your pain as I had tried to prepare myself for "this day" as well but it did not work of course. I was not prepared at all! It is good you came here to this safe place where you can grieve sweet Joey. Your decision to free him of his pain was a selfless and loving decision. Alone his age of 16,7 years shows clearly how much he was loved and taken care of. Joey is now at peace, happy in rainbowland. I know you will not believe this now as your loss is still so raw but it will get easier und you will make it through this. You are not alone in this, Sheri, we are all here for you.

My heart goes out to you
Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
joeysmama
thank you for your kinds words. It means a lot. I love him so much. Wish I could have him back. 
Sheri Smith
Quote 0 0
Kickdrum7
Sorry to hear about your basset. I’ve had one too and they have such a great personality. Like Melvin my dachshund, he was old and had a full life. I know exactly how you feel. It’s so empty. We are all here for you. I hope they are all at peace now.
Quote 1 0
dachsiemom
Sheri-  My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Joey.  Grief over the death of a beloved dog is like no other.  When Brandon died 3 months ago it literally knocked the wind out of me.  For weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling that I could not breath and unable to sleep again.  Like you, I could not see how I would be able to go on without my dachshund boy.  In my case making the decision to have him put to sleep was easy as I could tell that he was dying.  The only thing I could do for him was to give him a peaceful death.  It was peaceful for him, but not for me.  I was in agony; I felt just the way you are feeling now.  You did the right thing for your Joey, and I hope that will be a comfort to you as you work through this time of sorrow.  Cry as much as you need to and don't worry that you are going crazy.  Right after Brandon died, crying was the only thing that brought me any relief.  I did not find this forum until he had been gone four weeks, so I was obviously still struggling then.  But since then it has gotten better for me, as it will for you in time.  
Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
joeysmama
I feel so guilty for all the times we had to get on to him. But he’d hurt Willie, my wienie dog, in the past, so he had to get in trouble. He was always jumping on Willie. I’m sure he didn’t feel good but we were afraid for Willie. He only did that as he got older. I think he just got scared. I hope Joey knows I loved him and I hope we gave him a good life. He got snacks, and human food and treats, soft and hard food. Fresh ice water, baths, trips to the vet when needed. He got his walks every day. Sometimes more than one. He hung out in the back yard with us. Barked at the other neighbor dogs. And had a doggie door to come and go as he pleased. Lots of scratches. He never was really big on affection but every once in a while he was ok with it. He always had nice doggie beds. When I made chicken salad I would give him chunks of chicken and he would catch it in his mouth. He did such funny things out of the blue. The pain is too much. I just went though cancer recently and now this. Its been constant sorrow this whole year and last year. Then I have another older dog that I have to worry about too. I know he was dying and we did the right thing and it was painless and they said he was sedated and felt no pain. I miss him so much. Life seems so depressing and lonely now. 

Sheri Smith
Quote 0 0
joeysmama
Kickdrum7 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your basset. I’ve had one too and they have such a great personality. Like Melvin my dachshund, he was old and had a full life. I know exactly how you feel. It’s so empty. We are all here for you. I hope they are all at peace now.

That's so wild I had a Bassett and a Dachshund too. Joey was so funny and gripey. So much personality. 
Sheri Smith
Quote 0 0
joeysmama
dachsiemom wrote:
Sheri-  My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Joey.  Grief over the death of a beloved dog is like no other.  When Brandon died 3 months ago it literally knocked the wind out of me.  For weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling that I could not breath and unable to sleep again.  Like you, I could not see how I would be able to go on without my dachshund boy.  In my case making the decision to have him put to sleep was easy as I could tell that he was dying.  The only thing I could do for him was to give him a peaceful death.  It was peaceful for him, but not for me.  I was in agony; I felt just the way you are feeling now.  You did the right thing for your Joey, and I hope that will be a comfort to you as you work through this time of sorrow.  Cry as much as you need to and don't worry that you are going crazy.  Right after Brandon died, crying was the only thing that brought me any relief.  I did not find this forum until he had been gone four weeks, so I was obviously still struggling then.  But since then it has gotten better for me, as it will for you in time.  

That is exactly how I feel right now. this is day 4 and I'm still lost. 
Sheri Smith
Quote 0 0
Kickdrum7
Don’t feel bad for being a good parent. Dogs need discipline. We do this because we love them. If we didn’t care, we wouldn’t do it. I’m learning that dealing with guilt is the hardest thing. What could I have done better. But it’s all hindsight knowing the end result. This is normal. The only thing that is helping me is praying and finding stuff in the Bible that talks about animals. Not sure what you believe but god loves them and made them with the same loving hand he made us. Psalms 37:6 days god will preserve both man and animal. This is great news!!!
Quote 0 0