lotusbunny

Today was just a little bit harder than usual. My baby boy’s second birthday is coming up this Sunday, and it pains me to know that his littermate is going to be spending this birthday without her brother. They only made it through only 1 birthday together, and that I think is what makes me sick to my stomach the most. I miss him so much and my heart aches for my dopey baby who just loved to squeeze tennis balls and hear them squeak. He was such a good and gentle dog.97D36DD7-0FC5-4EB3-9A42-1724374D6D7B.jpeg

 

-Kitty
Quote 0 0
BojiPat

Kitty,

Anniversaries usually stir strong emotions when we lose a pet. May 26 was the third anniversary of my Quinn’s passing. The intensity of the pain has mostly subsided and has been replaced with happy memories and enjoying old pictures, but memories of that sad day come back on certain special days. That’s normal.

I know you loved your boy tremendously and miss him very much. What’s even more important is that he felt your love, too. What I have done to deal with those hard days is find a way to honor Quinn. This year, just two days ago, I signed up to volunteer at the Rainbow Bridge to help others with their loss. That was the biggest step I’ve taken in his memory. Until now, I wasn’t ready because reading others’ stories was painful for me.

That is a lovely photo of your pup. Hold tight to happy memories, but acknowledge your sadness on the tough days. Maybe take time out to do a little something to honor him. It doesn’t need to be elaborate.

Don’t forget we are hear to support each other, so perhaps just a word of kindness to a stranger who has just suffered a loss may make you feel better.

Take care!

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 1 0
lotusbunny

Hi Pat,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
This week has just been really hard for me. My boyfriend has been with me for this whole journey and he was worried I was mad at him because I’ve been withdrawing a lot. 

I plan on lighting some incense for him and putting a piece of birthday cake that I’m making for his sister next to his urn. 

He’s been gone for 5 months now, and the pain has barely dulled. It’s nothing like the pain I felt when my first boy passed. Probably because he was so young and I only had him in my life for only a year. 

I’ve been trying to respond to people here  on the forums and try to help others through their grief, and it’s helped a little. But volunteering eventually is a beautiful idea. 

Thank you again for your wonderful words.
Best,
Kitty


BojiPat wrote:

Kitty,

Anniversaries usually stir strong emotions when we lose a pet. May 26 was the third anniversary of my Quinn’s passing. The intensity of the pain has mostly subsided and has been replaced with happy memories and enjoying old pictures, but memories of that sad day come back on certain special days. That’s normal.

I know you loved your boy tremendously and miss him very much. What’s even more important is that he felt your love, too. What I have done to deal with those hard days is find a way to honor Quinn. This year, just two days ago, I signed up to volunteer at the Rainbow Bridge to help others with their loss. That was the biggest step I’ve taken in his memory. Until now, I wasn’t ready because reading others’ stories was painful for me.

That is a lovely photo of your pup. Hold tight to happy memories, but acknowledge your sadness on the tough days. Maybe take time out to do a little something to honor him. It doesn’t need to be elaborate.

Don’t forget we are hear to support each other, so perhaps just a word of kindness to a stranger who has just suffered a loss may make you feel better.

Take care!

-Kitty
Quote 0 0
BojiPat

I think the piece of birthday cake is a wonderful idea! That’s exactly what I was talking about. I admit that volunteering has been meaningful for me, but there are times I tear up when commenting because I have a great deal of empathy when it comes to pet loss.

If it’s helpful to you, reach out to others who have experienced a loss. You can do as little or as much as you want. I will be thinking of you on Sunday. Take care!

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
lotusbunny

Figured I’d show a picture of Lux and Lulu. Here he (right) is with his sister (left). He was such a ham. I wonder if his sister knows I’ve been down and out. Or if she too still feels upset and sad about her brother isn’t here anymore?668E98C5-62B2-472E-B9FD-21EFDEE258B1.jpeg 


BojiPat wrote:

I think the piece of birthday cake is a wonderful idea! That’s exactly what I was talking about. I admit that volunteering has been meaningful for me, but there are times I tear up when commenting because I have a great deal of empathy when it comes to pet loss.

If it’s helpful to you, reach out to others who have experienced a loss. You can do as little or as much as you want. I will be thinking of you on Sunday. Take care!

-Kitty
Quote 0 0
BojiPat
Kitty,

What beautiful dogs! Thank you for sharing.

Many dogs are incredibly empathetic and pick up on our emotions. My current beagle, Levi, is off the charts on the empathy scale. I took an online course on dog behavior and tested him using a series of exercises.

When I lost Quinn, Levi seemed disoriented for a few days. I can’t say he was depressed, though. He very quickly got used to being the “only child.” In fact, he prefers to be and revels in the attention.

That was not the case with my other beagles. They definitely grieved. When I felt comfortable adding another companion to the family, all of them adjusted well. I’m pretty sure Lulu is confused and misses her brother. It will take some time for her to adjust. Just love her up and show her some additional attention. Maybe try some new things to engage her. She is still a youngster and likely will be just fine.
Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
lotusbunny

2E600046-D08E-4799-B697-5F3175CE54B0.jpeg

Thank you for sharing about Levi! What a sweet angel. Beagles are such unique dogs, and so darn smart.
Lulu had stopped eating after Lux died, and she would sleep in my bed every single night and cry and whimper. I still have his collar and I sometimes take it out to let her sniff it. I don’t know if his scent is still on it, as it’s been nearly 5 months, but she’ll lay her head on it. The night before Lux passed, he was apparently coughing and Lulu stayed by his side almost protecting him. I know animals can sense when another creature is sick or dying, so when we came back from the hospital without him, I think she knew. She only looked for him once, but after that she just sat by herself and would sigh in front of his bowl. And that’s when I knew I had to bring a new kiddo into the house because she wasn’t adjusting. She and Lux were littermates and she had someone always with her. So I found a 9 month old golden doodle that a family surrendered because they “had no time for him”. He’s very much like my first dog Gandalf, almost exact in looks and personalities.
She’s not crazy about her new sibling (his name is Dio) because he doesn’t let her rule the house like how she did with Lux. (They’re warming up slowly.) She would go up to Lux and take toys out of his mouth, or butt in whenever we pet Lux, and now Dio does the exact same thing to her! So I think Dio is giving her a little taste of her own medicine. He adores her to bits and pieces and watches her and follows her around, so it’s very sweet to see. 

I was actually planning on getting Lulu to be a certified therapy dog so she could go to the Oncology wards at the clinic I worked at. She is very intuitive. But Lux passed right before classes were about to begin. Whenever I’d cry, she’d try and lick the tears from my face and get very close to me.
I’d love to take this quiz for Lulu though! 

Thank you so much again for sharing.

BojiPat wrote:
Kitty,

What beautiful dogs! Thank you for sharing.

Many dogs are incredibly empathetic and pick up on our emotions. My current beagle, Levi, is off the charts on the empathy scale. I took an online course on dog behavior and tested him using a series of exercises.

When I lost Quinn, Levi seemed disoriented for a few days. I can’t say he was depressed, though. He very quickly got used to being the “only child.” In fact, he prefers to be and revels in the attention.

That was not the case with my other beagles. They definitely grieved. When I felt comfortable adding another companion to the family, all of them adjusted well. I’m pretty sure Lulu is confused and misses her brother. It will take some time for her to adjust. Just love her up and show her some additional attention. Maybe try some new things to engage her. She is still a youngster and likely will be just fine.

-Kitty
Quote 0 0
BojiPat

Dio is a handsome boy! I’m sure they will become best buds in time.

Consider following through with the therapy dog preparation. My Bravo and I were a pretty good team, and it was a very rewarding experience

Below are pics of my redhead, Levi, and Bravo, who I lost in 2013. Those two together would have been a handful! 02A73ED1-3963-4884-B874-D7481E161BD6.jpeg 

Bravo


4490E4E5-EAD7-4478-B83D-D23FE454D0B5.jpeg

Levi  

Pat, Quinn’s mom 🌈
You may visit Quinn's memorial at:
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/QUINN004/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0