lisajo
Three months ago I lost my companion of thirteen years, Lily. The profound sadness I feel is debilitating at times. I cry before work and when I get home. I find that I am judging myself for having so much difficulty functioning. She was a part of my soul and my home feels so empty without her. My friends are supportive but they have never experienced the attachment and loss of a pet so it is hard for them to understand. I try to go out and distract myself but my energy is just not there. I feel as if I am showing up to my life without really being able to participate in it. I'm afraid that the intesity of my grief will last for a long time because I loved Lily so much that I'm still not used to her being gone after three months. I've been to a pet loss support group twice, make a support call every day, and see a medical professional th help me accept my feelings. And I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that the only way through this is through it. Hope to connect with fellow pet parents who can offer words of hop and encouragement
Quote 0 0
AliceM
Lisajo, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved companion and that the grief is still so debilitating. This coming Wednesday will the one week mark of my losing my Cali and I am already dreading that day so badly. This forum has been such a Godsend because the people here know and understand the grief and pain that we are all going through. This is a journey none of us wanted to experience and it is comforting to have the support along the way. I hope your days will be brighter soon.
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Hello there, Lily must have been a wonderful companion to you. I am sorry for your loss. You posted a response on my thread as well about my girl Coco, thank-you for that. I lost my girl 3 month's ago as well and I understand how you are still feeling. I know that a lot of us here would understand the feelings of grief that don't just go away after a few weeks.
 My girl was 10 yrs. old. She was a Lab/Pointer mix and a true love! I always thought that I would have her golden years to spend with her but that was not to be. In November she was diagnosed with bone cancer. Three weeks later on December 7th I had to let her go. Within one month I thought I had a healthy robust dog to having, no dog. It has been pretty difficult to accept a lot about her loss. Whatever the circumstances are, I don't think we are ever really ready to let them go.
   I have received a lot of support here and am very appreciative of that. We are not unusual or crazy for the way we feel. Unfortunately life does go on and so must we. I have learned to accept my grief as a part of who I am right now. I feel that it is also a testament to the love we had, the connection and the bond that we shared with them. They deserve to be remembered for that. I didn't think it would be this difficult but its the price we pay for our truly beloved companions. I loved Coco so very much, as I am sure you loved Lily.
 Please feel free to reach out. Tell us more about Lily. She must have been so very special!...................Sincerely, Andrea
Quote 0 0
MuchasMom
Hello, I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost my best friend 3 months ago, my cat Mucha. He was 10 1/2 years old. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone, and that everyone here understands this deep heartache. It can be so hard to get past it, especially since we have all lost the one soul in our lives that we felt most connected to, the one we would turn to for comfort and consolation. Now that they are gone, we feel the pain of that loss and the pain of not having them there with us in our time of need. Everyone here has been so kind and supportive. It has helped me to write about Mucha's story, to write letters to him, and to remember and share all the best things about him. It sounds like you have been taking some steps to help yourself in your grief, which I think is very good, and I hope that this forum will help you also to release some of your pain by sharing it. It's like by all of us expressing our pain here, we all help each other to bear the weight of it. So very sorry for the loss of your sweet Lily, and wishing you peace.
Quote 0 0
helenbutcher
My Molly a Maltese is 16.  Putting her to sleep as I write this.  I'm home alone crying and just looking at where she always slept.
Helen Butcher
Quote 0 0