Forum

Author   Comment  
ClaireH811

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, everyone! My sweet 13-year-old Cairn terrier, Holly, was diagnosed with malignant oral melanoma in May. Since then she's done three weeks of radiation therapy which she handled like a champ, and is on her third of four injections of the Oncept melanoma vaccine. 

The third injection last week is where the trouble started. Within 12 hours, she was super lethargic, taking tiny baby steps like she's in pain, shaking, not going to the bathroom. (Thankfully, she's continued eating through it all.)

Our local vet did blood work (nothing out of the ordinary), and gave her fluids and painkillers—she was apparently experiencing inflammation and dehydration, and then constipation from being in too much pain to squat. Poor thing! She's on a bunch of painkillers now and there's improvement, though it's slow.

Based on the timing, everyone agrees that it's because of the vaccine. (The cancer was only stage one and has shown no signs of spreading.) The oncologist, however, is saying that he's never seen a reaction like this. Has anyone else had the Oncept vaccine and experienced this?
CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
Claire, I’m sorry that your sweet dog became ill. I am a real believer in “quality of life” and unfortunately from everything you’re describing it sounds like your girl has is suffering. I had two little dogs who were both diagnosed with cancer. I let them go peacefully, before they had to live in pain, because I had to put their needs first. There is a saying I’ve read here on the forum which I will pass along to you: “ Better a week early than a day too late” I’ll leave that with you and say a prayer for Holly.
CK
ClaireH811

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, CK1991. I was not looking for advice about whether or not we should have treated her—I completely stand by my decision to do so. I was simply asking to hear from people who have had experience with the Oncept melanoma vaccine. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.