Forum

Author   Comment  
ItsallaboutDayZee

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to anybody that can help us please. My black mouth cur hound dog, DayZee, has just been diagnosed with mast cell cancer. Our vet says all we can do is keep her comfortable and that I will know when it's time to bring her in, to avoid pain and suffering. Her tumors are getting very large and I need to know what I can do to fight this or how I can make this a little easier on her as time goes by. She is 12 yrs. old and surgery and chemotherapy would be too hard on her, per the vets advice. She is vomiting occasionally, once a day, so I started her on OTC pepcid tabs and that helped. And at first I was giving her Spirulina, the sea based algae that is preventative for cancer, but I stopped the Spirulina a few days ago. I'm not sure if that was helping at all but it seemed like a good idea at first. I don't know how important diet is at this point, so I've been giving her options constantly. Dog food and treats are out at all times although she prefers chicken or beef, the human way...She is still drinking and eating and Still perks up whenever there is commotion in the neighborhood but what prompted me to contact this forum is she got up this morning and went outside, went potty, somewhat soft, drank a lot of water and then laid down shivering uncontrollably. That was about an hour ago. There has been a heat wave going on where we live, reaching temperatures in the 80's and she seems better now but I need to know what to expect. I ask our vet questions but it seems as though it's just my duty to keep her comfortable, thank God, and I do, that I don't have to work right now and can stay with her 24/7. Sometimes, to lately, I think she gets a little annoyed at my coddling, and I've been crying alot too. I apologize for being so lengthy in my first post but I am new and I don't really have any one else to bounce this off of. Thank you for listening/reading, any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, DayZees Mom, Jeanne
msweet13

Reply with quote  #2 
Dearest Jeanne - I am sorry to hear you are going through such bad times for your beloved girl DayZees. I really don't know much about mast cell cancer or I would have responded sooner. As it is, you posted 2 days ago, so I am wondering how things are going? The only thing I can say is that you do not want your girl suffering and I know it is hard to really tell how much pain they are in because they can mask it very well so as not to upset you. Please let me know how things have progressed so far? I am here and ready to listen. I wish you warm hugs and blessings of comfort.
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
ItsallaboutDayZee

Reply with quote  #3 
Msweet13, thank you for responding, I really wanted someone else to care about my baby girl. She has been the best friend ,the best dog ever, she made the last 12 years so much better than I ever could have imagined. Absolutely everyone who meets her, they fall in love with her I am steady typing and tears are streaming down my face, and I have a smile on my face. So much love....I am a better person because of my BFF most special friend in the world...
msweet13

Reply with quote  #4 
Dearest Jeanne - I think everyone on this site cares about your baby girl. I know nothing about mast cell cancer so I can not be much help in that department. But I do know lots about loving a furbaby so much that it hurts. I lost my Brutus 17 weeks ago and it still feels like yesterday. Is DayZees doing OK? Have you managed to keep her comfortable? Again, I am not the best person to address this because I firmly believe that we, as furmommies, need to know when it is time to end our babies suffering and not allow them to endure any more pain than they have to. Some do not like to hear that or they think differently, and I have to respect that. My thoughts and prayers are for you and your beloved girl. In your heart, you will know what is right. We cannot "undo" mast cell cancer, but we can make the right choices when it comes to having our babies suffering from it. I wish you the strength you will need to care for your precious DayZees, whatever path you choose is the right one.
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
camunki

Reply with quote  #5 
my dogs had MCTumors before, and they both had the tumors removed, so that gave them more quality of life.

I do know if you give your DayZee some benedryl combined with pepcid ac that will help, also give fish oil pills, curcumin helps too......and this type of cancer feeds off of sugar so keep the carbs very low. I too fed my Munki and Daizy chicken, and some broccoli and or brussel sprouts and they loved it.

I am sorry for all you are going thru, you sound like a great mom and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cam

ItsallaboutDayZee

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you so much for your reply I do have both of those medicines and I give it to her at least once a day. I've been watching you tube videos and I now realize there are vets dedicated to canine cancer and I am working on getting an appt with one now. I think I'm suffering more than she is so far, and I will give it my best shot to fight this cancer for her.
jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #7 
ItsallaboutDayZee,

I had to say goodbye to my precious Lab girl Satin Marie June 1, 207 because of Mast Cell Tumors coming back. I was able to afford the chemo and radiation treatments then.

December 27, 2017 I had to say goodbye to my Shepherd kid who was with me for almost 7 years and 8 months, due to aggression with my Black Mouth Cur baby Jesse, who I rescued from Florida, having seen his face on facebook. Paid his vet bills and plane ride from Tampa to Chicago to St. Louis. Over the course of the years since 2011, my Apollo had started 8 fights with Jesse. I had no choice but to make the hardest (I thought) decision and murder my Apollo, which is what it feels like still.

Earlier this year, my Boxer-mix first boy Elvis, a rescue from the streets of East St. Louis, IL in 2009, had a massive Mast Cell Tumor removed from behind his head. He came through it just fine.

Today, I took him to his vet due to a mass on his lower right rear leg, knowing it was another Mast Cell Tumor.

We cannot afford the radiation treatment and his doctor does not think he can remove all of the tumor and amputation is not an option, neither is the Prednisone treatments. he is overweight and the steroids will cause his hunger to increase. He will be 10 in a few months.

I have decided that I cannot watch him suffer, like I did with my Satin Marie. I already know how aggressive these tumors are. I just noticed the lump Thursday and already it is bigger. It will only get worse.

I too am giving Elvis Benadryl and Pepcid. The Benadryl helps with the histamine the tumor will release, the Pepcid with the stomach acid and formation of ulcers. Unfortunately, my time is limited so I am going to spoil my first boy with cheeseburgers.

I tell you this because I know what you are going through. What now scares me is I too have a Black Mouth Cur. I am now scared to death the same will happen to him. 

The thought of losing another dog so soon is killing me. I am sending you all the positive thoughts I can and want you to know, you are not alone in this.

Jeffrey
EevaTeddy

Reply with quote  #8 
I am so sorry that you are going through this and so is your DayZee. Have you considered looking into vitality science cancer programs? I know they have a good reputation. I know omega 3's are really helpful as well.

Thinking of you. 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.