tahiti98
I lost my sweet shiba inu, Sasha, last week. She was diagnosed with lymphoma late December, started chemo treatment right away. My veterinary oncologist said she was responding well and by mid January was already in remission. Her lymph nodes were normal. I was cleared to take her to Florida and continue her treatments there.
But she was still losing weight. A week later she was so weak and could hardly walk and when I took her in the vet said her spleen was enlarged and full if a mass tumor. We had to put her down.
My question is how did she go from full remission to dying from cancer a week later?! I'm still waiting to hear from her first oncologist.
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
Tahiti, i'm so sorry to hear about your sweet sasha.  gosh your question is one that i believe many of us ask in one way or another - i know i certainly did with my rottie female who's osteosarcoma was so aggressive and metastasizing so quickly that the experts at university of Pennsylvania even said chemo was not an option.  i hope that perhaps your first oncologist can somehow give you the answer that in even a small way can make some sense.  it is such heartbreak to lose a dear 4 legged companion but when it is a cancer where we as humans recognize the amount of pain that is associated with that disease, it just seems that much more heinous.  i hope that you hear from the oncologist soon.  many many hugs and prayers for you and sasha.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
tahiti98
Thanks jerseynonna,
Sasha was our first dog & we didn't have children. Thank you for your encouraging words. Already remembering fond times with her
Quote 0 0
maryellen1952
I just lost a 6 year old Pekingese who was never sick and had a recent blood workup that was normal.  He suddenly became sick with severe anemia and spent 5 days in the vet including a blood transfusion.  The vet thought the problem was his spleen since he had an extremely high white cell count so the vet removed the spleen.  Unfortunately I started reading vet websites that said that 38% of enlarged spleens were hemangiosarcoma/cancer.  And that once the cancer spread to the spleen it had already infiltrated other organs.  He had his spleen removed and was doing fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly he became severely anemic again with high white cell count.  The vet suggested another blood transfusion but I didn't want him going through that again and again.  So I made sure he wouldn't suffer anymore.  Needless to say it has left me devastated that he left me so quickly without much warning.
Quote 0 0
tahiti98
@maryellen1952
Although spending all that money with a bad outcome is frustrating, the worst part is that we wouldn't have put them through all of pain and trauma if we had known what was really wrong. So heartbreaking.
Quote 0 0