Gertie
Hi, I am writing hoping maybe someone can give me advice. You may have read some replies I wrote those of you in grief. I now find I need advice. After the loss of my two companion 6 months apart last year. I adopted Ivan. He is another Lhasa like Duncan was. He is a joy and has helped me heal. I took Ivan for his yearly check up this AM. He came back positive for Lyme Disease. I have never had a dog test positive for this, I am worried sick. Duncan was a wonderful dog, but he had so many health issues all his life. He cost over $12000 in vet bills. I loved him so much. I am now worried I am going down the same path, this time I can't afford it. I would appreciate any advice. Ivan has been put on antibiotics for 30 days. 

Thanks,

Gertie.
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
Gertie wrote:
Hi, I am writing hoping maybe someone can give me advice. You may have read some replies I wrote those of you in grief. I now find I need advice. After the loss of my two companion 6 months apart last year. I adopted Ivan. He is another Lhasa like Duncan was. He is a joy and has helped me heal. I took Ivan for his yearly check up this AM. He came back positive for Lyme Disease. I have never had a dog test positive for this, I am worried sick. Duncan was a wonderful dog, but he had so many health issues all his life. He cost over $12000 in vet bills. I loved him so much. I am now worried I am going down the same path, this time I can't afford it. I would appreciate any advice. Ivan has been put on antibiotics for 30 days. 

Thanks,

Gertie.

Hi Gertie,

We rescued Mack after our beautiful Hannah died on February 3. Like Duncan, Hannah had many health issues, and we spent a lot of money on maintaining her health, with a lion's share coming from two major surgeries to mitigate paralysis from herniated discs in her back and neck.  So I completely understand the financial strains of taking care of our pets.  Like Ivan, Mack once tested positive for Lyme disease, but he did not exhibit and clinical symptoms.  Does Ivan exhibit clinical symptoms?  I think Mack was given medication at one point (before we rescued him), but, as long as he doesn't get re-infected, he'll be fine.  Which is why we take extra care observing him (looking for fleas and ticks under his coat) and being vigilant with preventatives.

During the warm season, we use Front Line Plus...I don't like using chemicals, but it's effective.  During the cold season, when fleas and ticks are less active, we use an organic spray we bought at VetriScience...it's all natural, no chemicals.

So once Ivan tests negative and shows no clinical symptoms, it's a matter of keeping ticks off him.  Vigilant observation and preventatives like the ones I've mentioned above are the key to avoiding re-infection.

By the way, I start the VetriScience treatment in November and carry it through to the end of March.  We live in Pennsylvania, so other places might require an adjustment.  I've cleared my plan for Mack with my veterinarian.

Hope this helps.
Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0
Gertie
Thank you so much for replying. I am so upset. I did use front line even though my vet no longer carries it. She says it doesn't work. But I had tried Avantix hope spelling is correct, Duncan had a severe reaction to it. So I went back to front line, used it every month on Ivan. He is not showing symptoms , not sure what to look for. He is just 14 months old. I start him on Antibiotics on Friday, he had shots today so Vet wants to wait before starting Antibiotics. Then I think we give him a shot against Lyme. I had hoped to reduce shots. I feel we give too many. I will look up the spray you mentioned. Did you have Mack vaccinated against lyme?? I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 

Good look to you with your new companion. I am so sorry about Hannah, I hope she has met Duncan and they are having fun together.

Gertie.
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
Gertie wrote:
Thank you so much for replying. I am so upset. I did use front line even though my vet no longer carries it. She says it doesn't work. But I had tried Avantix hope spelling is correct, Duncan had a severe reaction to it. So I went back to front line, used it every month on Ivan. He is not showing symptoms , not sure what to look for. He is just 14 months old. I start him on Antibiotics on Friday, he had shots today so Vet wants to wait before starting Antibiotics. Then I think we give him a shot against Lyme. I had hoped to reduce shots. I feel we give too many. I will look up the spray you mentioned. Did you have Mack vaccinated against lyme?? I appreciate you taking the time to reply. 

Good look to you with your new companion. I am so sorry about Hannah, I hope she has met Duncan and they are having fun together.

Gertie.

Gertie,

Take a deep breath...You're doing fine.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what the clinical signs are, so I would ask your vet.

As for Front Line Plus, both of my vets use it on all their dogs and cats.  I have serious doubts about a vet who says it doesn't work.  Granted, I'm not happy about the chemicals, but having ticks is worse and getting Lyme disease is terrible.

We talked to our vet about getting Mack vaccinated against Lyme disease, and we are doing research and weighing pros and cons right now.  We have not dismissed the idea.

Gertie...daily observation of Ivan's coat is the best defense.  From what I've read, it takes up to 48 hours after the tick is on a dog before the Lyme disease gets into the dog's system.  That's why we look at Mack's coat each day.  On November 1, we switch to the spray I mentioned (no chemicals).  From Hannah's vet who gave her acupuncture for her disabilities and back and neck pain:

"There is a spray that some of my clients like to use:

http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900757016

They claim good success using this."

Another thing we do is bathe Mack regularly...maybe once a month.  But we don't use any soap or anything with sulfates that might dry his skin (even baby shampoo can be detrimental to a dog's skin).  We use Dr. Harvey's Herbal Shampoo...it is absolutely amazing. Mack's coat and skin look great, but bathing him with this shampoo allows us to really examine him for any ticks, fleas, rashes, etc.  I highly recommend it.

I hope this helps you, Gertie.  Just relax, you're doing fine.  You have Ivan's best interests at heart.  That's 90% of what you need to give Ivan a great life. 

I'll check in from time to time in case you need to talk.

Best,

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Quote 0 0
Gertie
Thank you again. I think it is just having lost my 2 little guys just a year ago, the vet visit today brought it all back. I have always checked Ivan for ticks. Lhasa's have to be groomed every 6 weeks, I brush him regularly. His groomer feels he may have been exposed as a puppy before I got him. He gets a bath in special shampoo every 2 weeks in summer, a little less in winter. I called his vet back and asked for a titer blood test. I need to see where he is at before giving antibiotics and shots. I will keep you posted.

Gertie.
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
Gertie wrote:
Thank you again. I think it is just having lost my 2 little guys just a year ago, the vet visit today brought it all back. I have always checked Ivan for ticks. Lhasa's have to be groomed every 6 weeks, I brush him regularly. His groomer feels he may have been exposed as a puppy before I got him. He gets a bath in special shampoo every 2 weeks in summer, a little less in winter. I called his vet back and asked for a titer blood test. I need to see where he is at before giving antibiotics and shots. I will keep you posted.

Gertie.

I understand.  After Hannah died, I took all of her medicines, etc. to my vet in order to donate to folks who can't afford expensive drugs for their dogs.  I walked into the vets and broke down crying.  I couldn't talk.  I just handed over Hannah's medicines and left.

My wife and I had been giving Hannah subcutaneous fluids for weeks.  It was difficult for me because I knew Hannah didn't like it, but it made her feel better for a while.  I can't remember if there were any bags of fluids that I returned to my vet for donation.

Just writing about visiting the vet after Hannah died brings back very painful memories.  Gertie, I fought like hell for her.  At one point, we were giving her subcutaneous fluids twice a day.  I didn't want her to leave me.  In the end, I had to let go because she had no quality of life left.  I always told people that this was my pledge to Hannah...that I wouldn't keep her alive for me.  I let her go.  It was time.  But it still really hurts.

Fragile Circle

Quote 0 0