Rhiannonz
My dog died yesterday. She was an eight year old black lab. We have no idea what happened. She vomited and I let her out. When she threw up later, I let her out again and she laid in the snow. My husband had to bring her in. Her breathing was labored and she died on her bed with her cocker sister next to her. I wish I would have called the vet sooner or just taken her in when she couldn't get up. I feel horrible. I miss her so. I hope she knows how much I loved her. It is all just so surreal.
Quote 0 0
GrouchyGirl
I am sorry for the loss of your dear girl.  It is shocking when something happens that suddenly.  I am quite certain she knew how much you loved her, black labs are smart, wonderful, loyal family dogs and I am sure she loved you and your family members quite a lot.  I hope you find some peace and healing from your other dog, I know when my male cat died two years ago, it helped me to have my female cat around.  We consoled one another and actually holding or petting an animal is very therapeutic.  ((hugs)) to you today. 

[9553d203-1a14-479e-adf1-0f8959921bed] 
Emma and her girl...best friends forever!
Quote 0 0
Rhiannonz
Thank you so much for your message. I haven't lost a pet in years and so I have forgotten how it feels and how to cope. That was easier because it was my family dog and I had since moved out, so the loss was different as my mother was the primary caretaker. This dog was my husband and my first pet together that we have been taking care of. She was a gift to me from a family after I got a divorce and had to leave my dog as it was my ex's. So the day in and day out of the past eight years makes this loss a direct hit to my heart. I loved her so much and am still in quite a bit of shock.
Quote 0 0
patent123
I'm sorry you had to go through that.  2 of my childhood dogs developed very sudden illnesses like yours and just like that they were gone.  We were able to get both of ours to the vet and one even had surgery but sometimes things happen and no amount of quick thinking or actions can fix our dear friends.  I know you probably struggle with the what ifs.  When my dog who I was most bonded with passed in September of this year I really struggled with that.  Just know sometimes things are out of our hands.  Like you animals that I lost in the past were family dogs...I wasn't really responsible for them...I loved them a lot but we didn't have that special one of a kind bond.  My current dog that I recently lost was much like girl you lost.  She was by my side for 6 years and our bond was beyond special no amount of words could describe the connection we had so I understand the pain you feel.  I still struggle with the loss of her.  I have better days and then I will have a horrible day.  What helped me was doing something special in memory of my girl.  Maybe you can find a way to honor your friend.  I also want to someday get a locked with my girls picture inside.  I hope you find some comfort during this very difficult time.  Just remember your girl may no longer be by your side but she is always in your heart...shes never far from you.  Allow yourself to feel all your emotions and with time you will heal some and learn to live with this.  If you ever need to let it out here is a great place to do so.
Quote 0 0
Rhiannonz
Thank you for your response. I am having trouble tonight. I feel like I just let her die. Why didn't I just take her to the vet when she seemed weak? I waited. I never thought she was dying. If I would have done something right away, maybe she would still be here? What is wrong with me? I will never, ever forgive myself. I still can't believe she is gone...this is like a horrible, horrible nightmare. :(
Quote 0 0