spart0n
here is a story, I hope it somehow conveys my feelings.

I was two years old, when my parents brought me home a puppy, she was so tiny and playful. I can't remember who had the idea of naming that little boarder collie Lucky. We played together everyday, and she slept beside me, on my little twin bed, every night.

A few years later, we were outside playing when she noticed several bees flying around the shed in the backyard. That was her queue to run and follow them, and as a child, I followed her. She found the nest, to which she intended to protect me by swatting at it. It was at that point she ran away while getting stung dozens of times, then they went after me. My father ran out to get me when I started screaming, knowing he was allergic, he grabbed me and ran in the house (thankfully I'm not allergic). I had, to my horror, the view behind the storm door to see Lucky still getting stung. I screamed and yelled even louder for her. Dad ran back out there for her, all the while getting stung. She finally got in the house and was almost twice her size from all the bees. she was taken to the emergency pet hospital in the next town. she was fine later that day. Around that same time, she and I were upstairs watching something downstairs when I slipped and bumped her to which she fell down the stairs. With another unscheduled trip to the vet, she had to have surgery to fix a torn muscle in her back leg.

A few years later, she and I were too big to fit on the same twin bed, so instead she chose to lay on floor so close to the bed that I usually would stumble over her for the rest of her life. Then one day a routine visit to the vet for check up reveals she has the beginning stages of congestive heart failure. We get the meds and the diet for her to do everything we can to help her. She, over the years, had also developed pretty bad arthritis. Her heart medication, we were told helped the most if she stayed very hydrated, and in an effort to help her do that, we made a ramp out back for her when she went outside to go potty, because she learned that if she had a lot to drink that she had to go outside later.

And now around this time, I was 15 and that was the time things took a turn for the worst. As she deteriorated, she started to cough up blood clots on a daily basis for almost a month. The vet told me we could try other treatments to try and extend her life and I just couldn't keep going seeing her coughing up blood everyday, and my parents had given me the choice on how to proceed. I had to put her down, and now I am almost 25, and even with several other great, loving dogs, since her, I still catch myself every couple weeks just bawling about Lucky.

I almost feel pathetic being 24 and being a guy that just can't control his feelings.

I just wanted to share, for years I've come to rainbow bridge just to read the poem and cry, but today I felt like creating an account and posting my story.
~Spart0n~
Tempus Fugit
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
I see nothing wrong with crying about losing something you love. I'm a 62 year old man, my boy Apollo had to be put down on 1/11/2015. I still cry now and then about him. I believe that I will miss him and cry for him the rest of my life. For one thing, I'm not trying to forget him. He was very important to me and played a big part of my life. I love thinking and talking about him. It's not about trying to control your feelings. You loved Lucky, there is nothing pathetic about that. For 13 years you had her so she had to have had a big part of your life. I kind of wish that you had posted a picture of her or said what kind of dog she was. Apollo was a 122 pound Doberman. He was like a son to me. But I am sorry for your loss, and never forget her. It takes a person with feelings to be able to cry. Even men cry, there is nothing pathetic about that. Hope you feel better.
William
Quote 0 0
Suzukibiker68
I lost my beautiful loving Sally, a black lab just over a week ago and I am completely devastated and heartbroken. It took me 20 years to have her after my lovely Staffie Paddy died and I still love him dearly. I was inconsolable when he died and I am the same if not worse now my little baby girl has suddenly and cruelly been taken from me. Thank you for your story. 
I will love you forever my angel
Quote 0 0
spart0n
Apollo_the_great wrote:
I see nothing wrong with crying about losing something you love. I'm a 62 year old man, my boy Apollo had to be put down on 1/11/2015. I still cry now and then about him. I believe that I will miss him and cry for him the rest of my life. For one thing, I'm not trying to forget him. He was very important to me and played a big part of my life. I love thinking and talking about him. It's not about trying to control your feelings. You loved Lucky, there is nothing pathetic about that. For 13 years you had her so she had to have had a big part of your life. I kind of wish that you had posted a picture of her or said what kind of dog she was. Apollo was a 122 pound Doberman. He was like a son to me. But I am sorry for your loss, and never forget her. It takes a person with feelings to be able to cry. Even men cry, there is nothing pathetic about that. Hope you feel better.

Here is a few pics
the one on the table, is the day she was put down...
2008_0802Vaction0076 smaller.jpg  IMG00045.jpg  IMG_0161.JPG  IMG00042.jpg
~Spart0n~
Tempus Fugit
Quote 0 0
DaniC
Lucky is sure a beautiful pup! Thank you for sharing your story. I love the pictures :)
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
She is beautiful. Again, I'm so sorry.
William
Quote 0 0