Hi There,
  I lost my Luckydog male beagle and best friend on 10-01-2015. He was my very best friend and there is not a day that goes by where i don't mourn for him or shed a tear for him. 
i remember the first time i met my new daddy, it was around the 2nd week of march the year was 2007. it was very cold and getting dark outside and i do remeber this quite well, it was freezing rain out and i don't know exactly how long i have been on the run, but i was sure cold wet tired and hungry.that night i found myself running in and out of traffic with the lights blinding my eyes, thinking to myself watch out for the cars cuz i am going to get squashed. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere i hear this voice calling me come on boy come on boy. this voice calling me didn't sound like my old master, but at least it would get me out of this cold weather. Did I even have a master now, I have been running on my own for days, no one to feed me no one to warm me no one to love me. When I heard that strange voice calling me, i made a mad dash for him and remembed jumping up in the back seat of this mans car. Oh boy i said to myself, its nice and warm in this mans car as we drove off. Where was I going home with this strange man or to the pound? The ride in the truck did not take us far, we arrived at a very strange house a place i have never seen before. I remember being left waiting in the truck while this man that found me went inside his house. The next thing the man came back out to the truck put a collar and a leashe on me and took me inside. I did not know what to do, I was scared, who are these people? Its not my old master and why was I dropped of in the middle of the night by the woods and left there? I guess I was now abandon,homeless, but i sure was lucky this nice man picked me up before i was hit by a car. The family was very nice to me, i learned prior to being found that this nice family had two beagles for 16 years that had passed on. Was I going to take their place now? The man dried me off with a towel and gave me a nice hot meal and water and a nice warm blanket and crate to sleep in. I was so happy tonight, I would not be running wild.
Luckydog had a great 14 years or should I say the other way around he gave me a great 14 years, but then one day this past Sept 29, we went for our evening walk came back about 7:00 pm and he looked to be having a grammol seziure. He was lying on his side legs paddling and vomiting profusely, I stood him up an gave him the Heimenec manover and he stopped choking. Got him all cleaned up and he appeared ok? The next day he woke up but he seemed to be looking like going from a 14 year old dog to 100 year old dog overnight. All I did was cry, but Luckydog did eat some eggs with me that morning how he loved eggs. During the evening Luckydog got sick again and lost his urine like he had no control. We knew he had a mass on his spleen when he was 12 the vet found it, but Luckydog was to old for surgery and the vet said maybe another 3 months or so, it would grow large. Well on October 1-2015 we made arrangement to take Luckydog to the South Deerfield 24/7 Emergency Animal Hospital in Mass. His regular vet was out of town in California for a vet conference. 
  That afternoon before we tooK Luckydog to the ER Vet Hospital, he came from his doggie bed from the bedroom took a drink of water and looked at me as if to say, "Daddy I am Sorry, but my time has come. He kind of hung his head low. In 1.5 days I watched Luckydog go from a 14 yearold pretty health dog to 114 year old man!
  My wife left work early came home and said he looked really sick, I had been crying for almost two days straight, so I put Luckydogs lease on him loaded him up in the SUV, my wife drove the 35 min to the vet hospital and I sat in the back seat with Luckydog the whole enitre time he rested his tired head on my shoes as if he was saying goodbye one last time.
  When we got to the vet hospital, the vet tec took all Luckdogs health information and took him in the back for an exam. A half hour later Dr. Erica came to the waiting room and got my wife and I and brought us back to the exam room. Luckydog was brought in and he had been given a mild sedative. He did not show no pain unless you picked him up under his belly. Dr, told us that his spleedn was taking up his entire abdomen, and she offered anti-biotics and vomit medicne and we could take him home, at the time i was crying profusely. The Dr. offered to do a full cbc on Luckydog. In that time as we waited, I had told my wife I have been watching Luckydog go downhill for two days , at home he would not eat even chicken rice and hamburg. This was telling me that he was going very slowly.
  Dr. came back in and told us that Luckydog was in Kidney and Liver Failure his bun and creatine were 72 and his spleen was a large cavitated mass that was full of fluid and more than likely the fluid was blood and she though it was to be a malignant cancer now. Even before the blood work took place I told my wife that I cannot watch him dwindle and suffer just to keep myself happy, it would not be fair to Luckydog.
 The vet left us alone and told us that Luckydog could not go home in his current condition which meant a hospital stay and maybe $$$$ thousands of dollars he was worth every penny, but i could not watch him like this any more, so we decided to put him to his final sleep.
 The vet left us alone for about 20 min with him he was already sedated, but I hugged his so and told him that I loved him and in his ear I said thank you Luckydog for always being there though my own cancer and my cancer surgery and my port surgery and my 9 months of chemo and all my other medical conditions. I thanked him very much for being there for me, of couse i have a wife and daugheter to, but they both had jobs so during my time of need Luckydog was there for me each and every day. Sometimes I would lay on his doggy bed with him and every night before bed I would give him a kiss on his nose before i climed into bed myself. His doggy bed was on my side of the bed.
  Dr. came into the exam room and asked me if we needed more time with Luckydog I said no I am ready as my wife and I hugeged Luckydog and cried the vet gave him the pink shot and in a second he went to his final rest. This is the hardest thing I have ever done and I had two female beagles for 16 years that went to their final rest the same way, but it was not as hard Luckydog was. 
 I asked Dr. is he still breathing, she replied right after i gave him the shot he went to sleep in a second. We stood there and cried for awile and we asked for cremation, I kept a pair of roasary beads right over his doggy bed in our bedroom and I wrapped them around his right front paw, and asked they be put in with him during his cremation. I pated him on the back and said thank you for everything and we left. I cried all the way home with his leash and collar in my hand. Right now even as I write this story i can't get no control it hurts so bad inside. A week later we pickedup Luckdogs ern and i put his color around it and can't thank everyone enough for being so kind to us at the animal hospital. Luckydog will never be forgotten or relplaced and every night cry at different times and have a candelighting for him on this web-site. Tonight will be his first candlelight ceramony. Now the holidays are comming so its going to be even harder, and I still waiting for a sign from him letting me know he is ok and that he has met my other two beagle dellie and molly up at rainbowbridge.
  If it were not for luckydog i don't think I would be making it through this cancer and be 2.5 years in remission.
Thank You For Reading
Love your Daddy
David R. Gaspari

David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0

So sorry to hear of your is just two weeks since I had a similar situation with my beloved Miles..only 7 years old and never sick in his life...regular vet had given him some meds for arthritis and 9 days later at 3am in the vet ER I was told his stomach burst was full of blood and there was nothing more they could do no matter what $$$$ I wanted to I did the same that you did...and it IS the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Miles was our family dog...but last year my husband had a massive heart attack and that dog NEVER left his side...I guess God needed a great dog in heaven because he was a the BEST dog down here through all our troubles he was the light of our I know the agony you go through...My dogs were all rescued and were given great lives with us so I know we did our best and I believe they are happier than we are now...I swear I have seen Miles in the house several times and I think that is his way of letting me know he has crossed the BRIDGE....hope in some way this makes you journey down the grieving path a bit easier...

Quote 0 0
What a amazing tribute to your amazing luckdog! I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. I know the holidays are tough for us and our love ones who's lives they touched. Me being a year+ into the loss of my Mattie I am learning how to live with out her. It has not been easy but I keep the faith and lean on all my forum friends I have made through this rough chapter on my life. As we all know our lives are a book with each new chapter brings joy happiness and heartache as well. Just know your never alone here and everyone understand how you feel. I have found great comfort in writing to Mattie as often as I can or need to. Lighting a candle, making a memory garden out side where she loved to be as well as a small fairy memory garden in my home. I keep her collar hanging from my rear view mirror as one of her favorite things to do was be in the car. I placed it there the day god called her to the Rainbow Bridge. I will keep luckydog and your family in my thoughts and prayers that you may find comfort and peace in the up coming months. Just remember your never alone. Grief is so hard on us and we all deal with it in our own way and our own time. Sending your and your family hugs during this dark time.

Many blessing
Mattie's mom
Susan Turner
Quote 0 0
I am sad for your lost, David, and your situation has similarities to what happened to my Scout.  I'm still in shock and continuing to grieve over it, of course, but please know that you are not alone. 
Quote 0 0

Pain and heartbreak are not meaningful enough words to express what you are feeling. I've gone through the same, as many of us here, in the forums, have. I cried while reading Luckydog's story. Your words show how much you love him and how hard it was to let him go. I could not let Tsuk go for many weeks after he passed. It was beyond me to accept that he was gone; in many ways, it still is today. Friends in the forum told me that Tsuk would only want me to be happy and to not worry about him, since he is happy and not feeling pain anymore. That thought helps, but, of course, it does not make the longing go away. I believe that feeling will always be there. Life is just not the same without my dear friend at my side, and I'm sure it's the same thing for you.

You showed great strength when you decided it was better to let Luckydog go. It was the hardest, but also the wisest decision to take.

I hope you may find some peace in the new year. It is not going to be easy and it will take time, but please be patient with yourself. Cry whenever you feel the need; it helped me a lot.

Do not hesitate to write to me and, if you find the strength to do so, please share pictures of Luckydog with us. I would love to see him. 

Take care of yourself,


Quote 0 0
Luckydogs pics. img020.jpg  1477725_681588531872448_833527484_n.jpg  2015-02-03 10.04.55-2 (1).jpg  1660628_997135433651088_4556130922551036767_n (2).jpg 
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
So happy you had Luckydog there for you in your time of need, and that you  could be there for him in his time, making the difficult decision that he wasn't able to do for himself. He looks like a real sweetheart, full of love and devotion.
I know time is supposed to make things better, but we're only a week since losing Clay and Luke and if anything it's harder than ever. 

Blessed to have friends like
Quote 0 0
Luckydog today is your 4 month anniversary, daddy loves you and misses you.
Love Daddy
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
David~ I am sorry that I hadn't read about Luckydog until just now. There are still so many stories that I have yet to read. Your tribute to your boy made be feel every word you wrote. To know that a few days ago would have been 6 months since losing him...makes my heart break for you. This is random but...I am sitting here with a little stuffed animal Beagle on my lap. When at the hospital earlier this week, I ran into the gift shop to grab a drink. Put my hand into a bin of little stuffed animals (Douglas cuddly toy brand).  Pulled out a tiny white dog with light brown patches & brown eyes. No idea why? Just needed to buy him along w/the drink & chips. Later I realized it's a Beagle named Sniff. Somehow I missed the black section along his back :-)  I wish I could send one to you and to all of the Beagle parents here. 

Reading about how you saved very special. And he saved you right back. Seeing his pictures, he's looking right at you with so much love. As you wrote, he was right there by your side through surgeries & recoveries. I hope you get little signs that he is still with you...and continues to help you through many more years of remission. I wish that for you too! Many hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0