huskiesmom
Hi Everyone,
So I haven't been able to post until now because the pain has been too much. Lucky passed away on September 29, the day we were meant to leave for our last camping trip with him. Things happened very quickly in the last 24 hours. He wouldn't eat at all, and started whining in pain, and kept us up most of that last night. He could barely stand. That Thursday night he got into his crate and faced towards the wall, laying down. He never got into his crate like that and I felt like he was in so much pain he was looking for a place to be by himself because he knew his end was near.

Friday morning we called the vet and made the appointment for just before noon. We were going to see the vet that has cared for Lucky for 10 years. When she came in the room he barely looked up, and she said she felt it was time, so we were all in agreement. She said there felt like there was fluid in his abdomen. She gave us all the time we needed to say our final goodbyes. Most all the vet techs and ladies who work there came in a few at a time to tell him goodbye too. I will never forget how we all stayed there around him and held him as she gave him the injection. Our other two dogs were there as well and they laid down quietly as I think they knew something important was happening. I have replayed those final moments in my head so many times. The final heartbeats, his body lying so still, the final muscle twitch of a whisker as if he were saying goodbye. As much time as I had to prepare myself, nothing could have prepared me for the raw emotion I felt in those moments as I watched him slip away from us.

When we got home we left to go camping, and even the vet told us we should, as it would help to be out of the house and all the memories. When we came back home it was still so hard. Everyone has been so nice and supportive. Even my parents, who don't like animals or pets, have been really nice and told us how sorry they were. My friends are helping us plan a small memorial service for him. I went to pick up his ashes on Wednesday and the woman at the vet's office cried with me and gave me a hug when she gave me the lovely wooden box and pawprint.

It still hurts every day. I feel like as time passes, I'm leaving Lucky further behind. Every time I see a picture of him I start crying again. I am afraid of passing into depression, which I have struggled with in the past. My other two dogs do help a lot, but when I look at them I think about how one day I will have to go through this with them too. Because now I know, the other side of the joy of having a pet is feeling the loss that I feel now.
Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
I am so, so sorry that he is gone. I am glad that he had a peaceful, calm exit from the  world, surrounded by people he loved.I also have had mental health issues for a long time, so I sympathize on that front. I had the same thoughts about my surviving pup, because she is getting older. I took her to the vet and had bloodwork run and all about a week after he died, and it made me feel a lot better when everything came up normal. I am going back this upcoming week to have something else checked out, which is probably nothing but maybe something, and it certainly helps with the peace of mind.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0
Marie123
That's how I feel after losing my girl Raven. I'm glad I've got the other cats but like you said I look at them and know someday I'll lose them too. I'm so sorry about Lucky. It sounds like he definitely had the right name, as loved as he was. It's so good to see other people who care about these wonderful innocent creatures as much as I do. Before I came here I felt so alone in my grief. I hope that you find the same comfort during this rough time. When I light Raven's candle next time I'll include you and everyone else who needs some comfort 🐱
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Aw am so so sorry to hear this sad news I remember yous where going away with lucky for a wee camping trip , my hart so goes out to you honestly x plz stay on here for support , so many good lovely people on here x my boys away nearly 10 weeks and am still cut in 2 . I said prayers for lucky at night , and wondered how your trip went x am deeply sorry I feel your pain . Sending you hugs & love Annemarie 😢
Quote 0 0
huskiesmom
Thanks so much everyone, yesterday was tough. We are trying to stay busy with our other two dogs and today we are going hiking with them. Hopefully it will take my mind off things for a while.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
I hope you have a good time! It just might help to get some air. When I take my other cats outside I find it can help 🐱
Quote 0 0