Luckyboy16
We had to put our 6 1/2 year old black lab mix to sleep yesterday. His name is Lucky. He some how got liver disease and it took over he lost 30 lbs from not wanting to eat. We tried everything to feed him and still I failed him because I couldn’t help him. He was the best dog I ever had. He was more like a human than a dog. I can barely see the screen as I type this from all the tears still falling from my face. This hurt us especially my wife. Lucky chose her as his person. I can’t type no more. Oh Luck my heart is broken. I’m so sorry I couldn’t fix you boy. I love you
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Chris I’m so sorry you and your wife are going through this. I wish these things never happened to our beloved. Lucky was soo young, it just isn’t fair. You didn’t fail him, you did all you could and he knows how much you love him. This is the hardest thing you will endure, the pain is epic😔 many hugs,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Luckyboy16
Thank you for the kind words. We adopted Lucky from a shelter when he was about 4 months old he was so timid and would come to the front of the kennel and lick your hand as long as the kennel door was shut. When it was open he would coward towards the back. There was something about him. It seemed as if if he had a human soul. He was more like our son then a dog. I know that probably sounds odd but he was. He was the sweetest kindest dog I have ever had. I wish I would have taken him on more walks. He is so missed. I hope he knows that. I pray to God that dogs go to Heaven. Lucky is the kind of dog God would want as a companion. He is perfect. I feel like random thoughts keep flying through my mind. My poor wife, how can I get her through this?
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Chris,
First off, let me say I am very sorry for your loss. Our animals never live long enough, but 6.5 years is so young! Also, it does not sound crazy when you mention more like as son than a dog....I think all of us here completely understand. Lastly, you mention how you can help your wife. You can help her simply by being there. Don't rush her, just listen if she wants, give her time if she needs it. Don't judge. She might want to keep something of Lucky's out that doesn't make sense to you, just accept it. We all travel this journey, but we all travel it different ways. I'll keep you both in my thoughts. 💜💜

Maybe when you're ready you could share a picture of Lucky. I would love to see him. 😊
~Melissa
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Tankie is as much my daughter as my birth children are, it doesn’t sound odd to me at all. But they don’t have the souls of a human, their souls are pure, their love is unconditional🐾 I believe we are souls in a body and our souls are forever whether we as humans go to heaven has been left to our free will but animals are sinless. Not to be preachy but our love for them makes us think of things we’ve been taught, now we pray they are true, for them.
Chris your concern for your wife, that concern is what she needs. Way to many couples grieve apart after the first few weeks. Some seem to get back to normal when for others normal is gone, forever. Just remain open and raw and honest with each other. This kind of grief is epic, it’s no different than the loss of a child. It’s a long journey and rough on a couple over time. Be extra kind to each other,,,,,

Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Luckyboy16
This our Lucky boy! The brown dog is his brother Chopper. He is looking for his brother. Thank you everyone for you kind words thoughts and prayers. We have cried so much. I miss our boy. He had the best wagging tail ever! He would lay with my wife on the couch and I would look at him and say, “Daddy” and his tail would start to wag. Then I would say “ come give Daddy some kisses and he would hide his face in my wife’s lap. He was amazing.
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Thank you for sharing the pictures! 💜 You are all in my thoughts. The first weeks are very difficult, be gentle on yourself.
Quote 0 0