Toho
This has been the one of the toughest days my wife and I have experienced. Last evening we had to put our 13 year old cat, Penelope, to sleep. We both have been crying most of the day. Every time we look around our home we remember her presence in one room after another. We look at each other and start to cry. Our house doesn't feel the same. It feels empty and cold. We can't seem to shake this feeling of dread. How do we cope?

On top of our feelings our other two cats keep loping for their sister. We are loving on both of them. Were not sure7 we're overdoing the love? In essence we all feel terrible. It hurts just to look at her water bowl. If there is anyone out there that can help us with this we would extremely gratefull.

Thank you.
Quote 0 0
Woodypatty
I am so sorry for your loss of  Penelope. I know your hearts are breaking.Cry as much as you need to. Write on these threads if it helps. There are many here, me included that know what you are going through  and we will be here for you as you take this sad journey. My Moma dog and her son have needed extra loving since loosing our Raven. Your cats are grieving too so I think the extra love is needed. I wish I could tell you that you will feel better quickly but it has been my experience that this is a slow process. We grieve so much because we loved so much and we were loved so much in return. I wish you some peace in this day.                                           
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
This may be the hardest thing you ever experience.  I can tell you from experience that you will feel better and time is what it takes.  I lost my beloved dog Ted in July so I get it.  You will cry a few less tears each day and ultimately you will replace them with bittersweet memories and happy thoughts.  I can think about my wonderful Ted and have s smile on my face even though I still miss him terribly.  This is a tough time of year without loss so please try to take it easy and just let the tears flow as they need to.  No one will care if you do not celebrate the holiday to the fullest.  Most people are very understanding though you may find some are quite insensitive.  You just have to muddle through as best you can.  This site is full of understanding people who will listen to anything you want or need to talk about.  I still find it the best therapy!  I hope you can find some peace and happiness in loving your other babies as they too are missing Penelope.
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Meghanm
Toho, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Penelope. I am sure your heart is breaking right now. I wish I had some words that could completely erase your pain. Especially right before Christmas, to lose your beloved cat must be unbearable. Please know you are not alone. There are plenty of people here who care about what you have to say and want to help you. Also please know that whatever way you choose to grieve is right for you...do not feel pressured to act or behave in a certain way. There is no normal. I believe pets grieve in different ways after one dies and I am sure your other pets would appreciate a little extra love. Please know you are in my thoughts.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0
angie95

I am very sorry for your loss of Penelope.  I know exactly how you feel.  I had to put my beloved Sparky to sleep 3 weeks ago today.  In the beginning I came to this website several times a day even if it was to just read posts.  I cried my heart out for at least a week.  Then I made a memorial garden area in my yard.  I even had a memorial stone made for the garden.  I was happy it arrived before Christmas.  Today was especially sad as I had a toy for him that I had already purchased that I knew he would really like.  It is hanging in his stocking.  I just ordered an ornament for my tree with his picture on it.  I think I am going through a stage of fear of forgetting him so I am creating many reminders.  I also have my dogs sister.  She is grieving as well.  We are giving her extra love.  I don't think you could love too much.   

Angie

My Sparky 5/26/2000 - 12/5/2010
Quote 0 0
judylinn

I am so sorry for your loss too. It's so hard to lose a fur family member. Your other animals, will also be grieving, talk to them, it will comfort them as well as you. You can't ever give too much love. You all just need to let the grieving happen. I know how hard it is, but we will be here for you. It's too bad the site was down when you first posted. I saw your post and felt bad that I couldn't get on the thread to post. However I said a prayer for you and will continue to. Judy

Quote 0 0
Becky

We lost our beloved Bert in June & I still miss him so very much.  We have since adopted 2 new cats from the Humane Society; both of which were there for over a year.  They don't replace Bert by any means; but it gives us joy to know we've given a home to a needy animal.  We now have 4 cats--3 from the shelter & 1 stray that showed up in our yard.  We love them all & they bring us much joy & comfort.  Bert's close companion, Ernie, grieved deeply & we were afraid we were going to lose him, too.  He started to acknowledge Butterball's presence after about 2 months & has again become a playful cat.  He still goes in the garage & looks for Bert; but plays with the 3 girls & defends his position as head of the house.  I pray you'll find comfort in knowing you're not alone, & that there are other animals who need your love & care.

Quote 0 0