BuckeyeGal71
[16346463626_0f9f3c4071_n] 

Scooter died this Monday.  He was almost sixteen, his birthday would have been in March.  Best cat I ever had.
Quote 0 0
BuckeyeGal71

He was a great, great cat.  I got him at one of the lowest lows of my life.  After working at one corporation for almost 23 years, I was downsized at the age of 43.  Finding another job in this godforsaken area was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  For three years, it was a hit or miss thing, mostly miss.  The stress was horrifying.

One year before I found permanent employment, some of the neighborhood kids brought him to my door.  I told them that if they would go all the way around the block... and noooooobody else would take him..... then I would take him, temporarily.  But truthfully, he was exactly what I had wanted.  We used to have a black tabby when I was growing up, and he was such a great cat.

Of course, you know what happened, LOL.

Quote 0 0
BuckeyeGal71
He was the healthiest, most high energy kitten I ever had.  Also, as my then boyfriend put it, "Scooter was the most affectionate animal I've ever seen.... cat or dog, male or female".

Also, he was a hunter.  From the time he was three months old, he was a deadly force to be reckoned with. 
At one point in time, some of my neighbors had rats.  I went to the police.  I went to the Mayor.  I went to City Hall.  Nooooobody would help me.  But Scooter was catching them, left and right.  He was my hero.

One time he brought a live baby rat into the house at three o'clock in the morning.  I couldn't tell he had it in his mouth, he held his head down, and I didn't have my glasses on.  I was so horrified when it ran down the hall, I screamed to the top of my lungs.  Even I didn't recognize myself, LOL.  Finally I was able to grab Scooter, rat in his mouth, and throw them both out the front door.

After that.... he would just bring the rat to the front door, and break its neck for me.  As if to say, "Seeee??? you had nothing to worry about, I had it all under control."
Quote 0 0
BuckeyeGal71

We buried him on Tuesday.  I was beginning to wonder if we were going to be able to dig through the frozen earth, but my boyfriend took care of that, God bless him.  Also I think the Lord sent some sunshine that day for that very purpose.

Even after all the weight he had lost, I still could barely fit him into his box.  He always was a big boned cat, always weighed around sixteen pounds.
Rest in peace, big boy.  Ain't no kitty I love better than you.

In years past, I always took my cats to the vet, gave them all the white man's medicine, and watched them die anyway.  With Scooter, once I saw the handwriting on the wall, I just let him be in God's hands.  And truthfully, I think it was 1000 times less stress for both of us.  His passing wasn't too bad, I've lived through much much worse.  I would never condemn anyone who puts their cats to sleep, because sometimes, it's the only thing to do.  But I'm so grateful that we could just spend our last days together, doing the things we always did, and loving each other.

He's going to leave a cat shaped hole in my heart, but I have a lot of happy memories.  Like when he would lay out in the sun with me, LOL.  He would lay in the grass belly up and we would catch a few rays together.  And then, when he figured I had had enough... in about an hour.... he would let me know that it was time for me to go in the house.  :)

Quote 0 0
BuckeyeGal71
Woops, my fonts got messed up on that last post.
Quote 0 0
loft2111
I loved reading your story about Scooter, what a character.  We all working through our losses and it's not easy, remembering the happy memories is the best we all can do.
Take care
Little Man's mom
Quote 0 0