RoxanneA

I lost my Quincy yesterday and the pain is so intense I don't know if I can bear it.  He was fine one minute and the next thing I heard was a blood curdling howl and he was laying on the floor breathing hard.  A few seconds later he stopped breathing.  I took him to his vet for a necropsy and he said that he probably died of a blood clot.  I'm having a hard time believing that he's actually gone because he was so full of life.  Even though he was 13 years old he ate like a horse and played like he was still a kitten.  I looked forward to coming home because he and Lionel (my other cat) would be waiting for me at the door and followed me everywhere I went.  He was so affectionate and loving and made my life complete.  I can't eat or sleep and I feel like I'm not being a good mom to my other cat.  I'm trying to show Lionel love and attention but my heart's just not in it.  Is it normal for me to want to just be left alone?  All I can think about is Quincy.  Lionel isn't eating either and I'm wondering if animals grieve too because they were best buddies for 13 years.  Does the emptiness and pain ever go away?  I'm having him cremated so I can keep him with me forever at home.  I'm hoping that will help me get through this.

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Roxanne,

I am so sorry to hear that your precious baby Quincy went on his journey to Rainbows Bridge. Your other cat is grieving as well.  A strong bond can form in 13 years of living together.  When my first cat died(Kudo), Nico would wander around to each room, howling(siamese) and looking everywhere for his life mate.  It took about a month before he started to act normally again.

The desire to want to be alone is normal.  Feeling alone even when with others is also very common.  You are going to feel sad for awhile, but it does get better with time.

Thinking of you,Quincy and Lionel.

Karen

Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
RoxanneA

Thank you for your words of encouragement Karen.  I'm sorry for your loss as well, and it's comforting to know that time has a way of healing.  My sweet Quincy will remain in my heart forever, and I'm looking forward to being with him again one day. 

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Dear Roxanne,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your sudden loss.  It's hard enough to make sense of things when we know the end is near, but when it comes so suddenly it is such a terrible shock.  My heart goes out to you and Lionel now.

Everything you are feeling is absolutely normal.  The sorrow, the guilt, the loneliness...it's all normal.  Lionel misses Quincy too, and the two of you will comfort each other through this painful time.

To answer your question, yes.  The emptiness and pain eventually fade, but the love remains forever.  As time passes and the shock subsides, you will feel that love a little more with each passing day. 

You and Lionel, and your sweet Angel Quincy, are all in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
It is perfectly normal for you to want to be alone.  The pain of losing a precious loved one is intense and profound.  It's been 5 days since my beloved Ted died and I still have no desire to talk to anyone other than those who understand the pain and grief I am feeling.  This is the only place that I have found that solace.  I hope you will find comfort knowing that you are not alone.  Each day, I feel a smidgen better.  I think that you will too.  It just takes time to replace the grief with the happy memories. I have also spent each day writing a letter to me dear Ted telling him about my day and how I am feeling.  I have found this to be extremely cathartic. Your precious furbaby is looking down on you tonight from the Bridge not wanting you to be so sad.  He is OK, playing in the sunshine with new friends patiently waiting for the day when you will meet again.
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Boogie
It is surely a shocking experience, but Quincy passed very quickly. He was lucky. He probably didn't even register what happened, he just jumped straight over to Rainbow Bridge. 

It will take time for you to get over the shock. It's like suddenly being hit in the head with a two-by-four. You're dazed, you don't even know what's happening around you. 

Lionel needs you, bigtime. He doesn't understand what happened, only that he has been abandoned by his best friend, someone he spoke with on a telepathic level. He needs you to assure him that everything is alright. Even if it is hard for you to do, please keep making sure that he feels extra loved. He's a hurting, living being who needs you now. Your love for Quincy will feel a lot stronger than your love for Lionel for a long time, it's normal to be so numbed that you can't seem to feel love for your remaining pet. But pretend you feel extra love for him...he will appreciate it in his difficult time and suddenly the barrier to your emotions will lift and you will be so grateful that you still have Lionel with you. 

My Boogie died on 3/25/2010. She was the best dog anybody could ask for. I will be with her again when my time comes.

A drawing of Pax by Heather Spears. She specializes in bereavement and is wonderful to work with, she understands how we feel. She can be reached at spears.heather@gmail.com
Quote 0 0
Polly
I'm so sorry to hear of the sudden, shocking loss of your beloved Quincy, may he rest in peace.

The early days are so very hard, both for you and Lionel. You've both lost a very special friend and poor Lionel needs his mum now more than ever. Take comfort in each other. Take each day at a time, and eventually that all consuming numbness and pain will start to fade, to be replaced by quiet and peaceful acceptance, and you will find your love for Lionel pouring into your heart again.  
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
I have made a promise to myself to replace one tear each day with a happy thought and a hug to another furbaby, be it my own precious Jack or someone else's bundle of joy.  This forum has been a God's send to me. 
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0