Loobie
My husband and I lost our Syrian hamster Nubs on Tuesday night. She was 2 years old but we had only adopted her in January to give her a forever home in her old age. She suddenly became ill and then died in our arms within a few hours. I have had three days off work because I can't bear going in, and I just keep crying all the time. No matter how small she was and how short her little life was, she was a part of our family and i am heartbroken. It feels like the pain will never go away.
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hammies are such sweet little friends, and I understand how deeply you are grieving. Please come back and tell us about Nubs's silly antics and cuddly snuggles. 

The pain will ease and you will recover and smile again, but that takes time. Be gentle with yourself and do your best to remember the wonderful life Nubs had with you. Thank you for rescuing her and making her a part of your loving family. And always remember that, because of you, she knew she was loved and lived a happy life to the end. If only our furries could live longer than they do. They always leave us too soon. 

I'm wishing you gentle footing on your path to healing. xoxo
In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0
Loobie
Thank you for your reply.

She was a naughty little hamster who would always try and climb too high or get too close to the edge of the bed. She liked to try and chew holes in our bed sheets, clothes, and her wheel, whilst she completely ignored all the expensive chew toys we bought her. 😂 She loved to hoard food, and would tip her food bowl over every night so that she could stick her head right into it and completely empty it. When we cleaned out her cage there would always be mountains of food hidden in her den. Her favourite foods were kale, carrot, and these little apple pie flavoured crunchy treats we used to give her. When we buried her, we packed her shoe box coffin with sawdust to keep her warm, her little beach hut hideaway, some kale and apple pies, and her water bottle, just so she had enough supplies to take with her to Rainbow Bridge. She looked like she was sleeping so peacefully and we tucked her in for one last time to keep her warm.

We used to hear strange whistling/squeaking noises sometimes, and we couldn't figure out what it was. After the first few times, I noticed it was coming from her cage, and we realised she was loudly snoring, and we fell about laughing. She used to like cuddles, and would climb into the arm of my dressing gown and end up tickling me and making her way around in there until she popped her head out near my neck. She used to make little snuffling noises when she climbed on us, and her whiskers would tickle our ears. One time she tried to shove my hair into her pouch because she obviously thought it would make good bedding, and I had to pull it out whilst laughing. It was like a battle to see who could keep the hair. She sometimes would stand up like a little old lady, and her front paws looked like they should hold a tiny handbag. I miss her so much. How do I upload a photo?
Edit: figured it out. Photos added to original post and this reply. I like the one of her shoving food in her mouth . ❤
Quote 0 0
September
Loobie, I am sorry for your loss of Nubs. You gave her great love for a short time and that is all she could have asked for. My Timothy Rabbit passed away 7 weeks ago and I miss him so much. Many years ago we cared for my sister's hamster, Eric, while she was on holiday. He was the cutest thing. He would want to start to play at the most unearthly hour of the night, so I would be up and let him out of his cage so he could have a run around and some playtime, climbing all over me. He had a little ball and I would have to chase him around the lounge...he was so fast!

Bunnies, hamsters...they all have their own little personality and characters. Tiny creatures but, oh my gosh, the size of the holes they leave...

I can only say it will get easier for you. My grief and guilt is not so raw, but my heart will never mend completely. I know that.

Thinking of you xx

Lynda

Edit...I have just seen your photo of Nubs. She is beautiful. Crying now......why do our pets have to leave us????😭

"The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal"      C.S. Lewis
Quote 0 0
Loobie
I am sorry that you lost Timothy. I hope that you are managing to find some peace. Groups like these are the only thing that has kept me going these past few days xxx
Quote 0 0
September
Thank you Loobie. Your story of Nubs made me smile..what a diva! I posted some tales and photo of Timothy under 'Timothy Rabbit'. He was a very special bunny. I feel sometimes that pets like ours don't get the recognition they deserve when we loose them, that's why I came here. I just wanted lots of people to know about Timbob and know that I can still talk about him without being made to feel he was 'just a rabbit' and that by now I should be over loosing him. As time goes on, things are getting easier, but only very, very slowly, slowly xxxx

"The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal"      C.S. Lewis
Quote 0 0
Loobie
Timothy sounds absolutely wonderful, thank you for sharing that, it has helped me. I have posted a reply on your thread. What a wonderful bunny he must have been. ❤❤
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Aawww Nubs is so cute! What a face! My friend's son always had little mice and rats, her daughter had hamsters and my friend had a precious bunny. I've got cats, newts, and a terrarium with little garden snails. They all have names and personalities. All of our babies matter. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Nubs sounds like a character. She may have been small but she brought so much joy and that's what matters. And she knows you still love her and miss her. Anyone who tells you it's just a hamster has obviously never felt the love these tiny beings can bring. I hope she's leading my beautiful black kitty Raven on a merry chase right now, along with all our other precious lost babies. And they're all watching over us right now 🐱🐭
Quote 0 0
Loobie
Thank you Marie for your kind words. I am currently off work and just reading all these replies. I have chores to do but my heart is heavy. You are all helping xx
Quote 0 0
Marie123
You're so welcome Loobie! I got upset when my favorite garden snail, Harry Houdini, crossed the Rainbow Bridge last month. I don't think anyone else really cared but I'm gonna miss that little guy riding on my glasses around the house at chore time. As Dr Seuss stated in Horton hears a Who, "A person's a person, no matter how small." So just remember, any life that brings someone love and joy matters, regardless of species 🐱🐌🐭
Quote 0 0
Loobie
Harry Houdini! ❤

Great name, and lovely sentiment. I always pick up snails and other bugs/creatures if they are on paths so they don't get squashed. Gotta love all the creatures xx
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Yup he got that name cuz he always was hanging upside down on his tank lid and I'd have to watch the little escape artist at cleaning and feeding time! That's so cool you move the animals out of the way too. I almost got run over one time rescuing a turtle out of the road! I'm the crazy lady in the neighborhood but I wear the title proudly. Like you said gotta love all the little guys. They bring so much joy! 🐱🐌🐢
Quote 0 0