GingerMidnight
My little girl (cat) died 2 days ago. Euthanasia is so hard. The vet told me that she would not live long and was probably in pain. But she was walking that morning and ate a little. She hated all of her medications. But should I have waited? I question my decision. Was the vet right that she would not recover? I confuse myself as I try to sort this out.
What I definitely do know is that I miss her so so much. I can still feel her in my arms, but she is not there.
I have another cat, Morris. He is sleeping by Ginger's blanket and using her litter pan. He is pulling away from me. I hope this is temporary and just his way of morning.

Right now it is hard to believe that I will ever feel good again.
How do others cope?

Diana
Quote 0 0
Katel
I'm so sorry.  We all second guess our decisions.  I had to pts my little dog 2 days ago.  That morning
he was quite perky but then went down suddenly.  For 3 months he had been battling
bone cancer and my vet assured me it was time.  I don't think vets do this lightly.
He told me my dog had begun to feel acute pain and maybe that's how it was with your little cat.
They have ways of hiding it .
For me although I'm devastated I feel right that i ended his suffering and gave him peace
I do hope that that knowledge comes to you and in time gives you some comfort. 

Hugs
Kate 
Quote 0 0
GingerMidnight
Thanks so much for your support. This is a very painful time. It is hard to imagine the pain ending.
So sorry for your loss.
Diana
Quote 0 0
patent123
@GingerMidnight

Euthanasia is absolutely the hardest thing! I to struggled with did I make the right decision? I still do actually.  In the moment it felt 100% the right path to go...after it was done and the pain engulfed me I am overtaken with second guessing myself.  I trust my vet 100% hes always gone above and beyond to care for my pets and helping educate me on their needs...but its still so hard.  I think everyone has what ifs when it comes to saying goodbye to their pet.  I often times wish I had endless amounts of money so I could have tried every medical route possible to cure my friend...but honestly would that have been fair to her? Its so hard to say goodbye.

I also have a cat who is withdrawing like yours.  My dog has been gone almost a month now.  My cat and dog weren't friends but they very peacefully lived together.  I find him hanging out in the basement more and less in his sunny spot on the couch.  He comes up to eat then retreats to his basket in the basement.  Its really as if I do not have a cat at all.  I see him for about 30 seconds a day.  I know he is probably confused by the new dynamic in our house.  I'm sure your cat is also just going through the motions of losing his friend.  My cat has been acting "off" since we said goodbye to my dog.  Just like with us it takes them time to adjust and heal.  I'm sure it comforts Morris to be able to smell her and thats why he sticks by her bed/litter pan.  Give the little guy some time and I'm sure he will return to his old self.  

I still struggle with the pain I have good days and HORRIBLE days.  Try and do something to honor your cat.  For me I took some treats to the shelter dogs and walked a few.  I also talk to my dog all the time and when I'm feel extra sad I just say FC I miss you.  I also hold her ashes and talk to her.  Sometimes just talking helps heal your pain a little bit.  It does take time though...we spend all these years with our friends being a part of the family so it will take time to cope with the pain of losing them.  I hope you find some comfort soon.
Quote 0 0
GingerMidnight
Thank you so much for your support and for sharing your story. I am glad I am not the only one having difficulty and second guessing myself after euthanasia . It is so hard to get up each day without Ginger Midnight. Thanks again for letting me know that I am not the only one with a living pet who is pulling away..
Have your questions about euthanasia starting to fade? My vet kept saying she only had a few days or maybe a week or two to survive. And my vet thought it was time for euthanasia but I was hoping for an unrealistic miracle.
Diana
Quote 0 0
patent123
For myself I have days where I think why didn't i do more wait it out see what might happen....but I know in those final days my dogs life went from amazing to depressing. I hated seeing her paralyzed confined to her cage. She was such a family dog. She was involved in everything so to see her being stuck was awful. For me the pain I experienced watching her sad was far worse then letting her go. I'm happy I tried the various vet suggestions my pup still could feel DEEP pain in her rear legs...but you really had to push almost to the point of breaking the skin but she couldn't stand, walk, or go to the bathroom with out me squeezing her. The days of blaming myself or the what ifs aren't as severe as they were but I'm still so sad and depressed. I still in ways blame myself for her injury I should have monitored her jumping but it happened. Sometimes illness or injuries steal our friends from us. Its so unfair and a cruel reality check that no one lives forever. Someone on here told me better a day early then a week late. I think that's true. We shouldn't keep our friends alive to suffer if we can bring them back to a happier place. Unfortunately the best decision are sometimes the hardest. I hope you an your cat have a good weekend...or as good as can be had given everything. We are all here for you. With time as you heal the pain of euthanasia will become less.
Quote 0 0
GingerMidnight
Thank you so much for your understanding and support
Diana
Quote 0 0