Wendy18
It all happened so fast. She started vomiting on Sunday, so I took her to the Vet. He diagnosed her with an intestinal infection and gave her meds. Unfortunately, she could not keep them down so I took her back to the Vet. He sent me to the Emergency Hospital where she was diagnosed "in diabetic crisis". I had no idea she was diabetic! She was admitted and they started an IV and insulin. I called that night and she was OK. Then they called me yesterday and told me she had passed away!
She was barely 10 years old, and I am still in shock. I feel so bad I did not recognize the symptoms.

Thank You for allowing me to share.
Quote 0 0
donnalee

Oh Wendy, that is so sad.  My heart breaks for you.  I'm so sorry for this very unexpected loss of Lilybelle.   She was very precious.  What a lovely name.   I know it seems unbelievable that something like this can happen.  As you read threads here, you will find out these unexpected illnesses happen more frequently than we would imagine.  That doesn't make it any easier, though.  It's very shocking and so very sad.  She must not have been showing any symptoms of the diabetes so I hope you won't blame yourself for that.  I can certainly understand how you would still be in shock.  There was just no time to prepare for this.   This will not be easy and it takes time to grieve the loss of our babies.  Please know that we are here for you and that we understand.  Again, I'm so sorry.  My heart and my prayers are with you.    

Quote 0 0
tikibarb
I am so sorry for your loss.  Our beloved babies are very good at hiding their illnesses from us.  I am not sure why but it happens very often that no one notices symptoms until it is too late.  I know how sad and lost you feel.  It is impossible to know when these things will happen and it is very hard on the heart when it does.  This site is a place of healing and you will find love and support from all of us who have lost previous furbabies.  You will be in my thoughts and I hope you can find some comfort knowing that you are not alone.  Your pain is real and it will take time to heal.  Please tell us more about your precious baby when you are up to it.  It really helps to talk about it.
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
TxGuy

So sorry for your loss. Prayers of comfort to you.

Quote 0 0
judylinn

I'm so sorry for your loss Wendy. even doctors miss diabetes in humans, so don't be hard on yourself, she may not have presented any symptoms until you saw them. I'm so sorry, that is a huge shock and loss. we will be here for you Wendy.  prayers. Judy

Quote 0 0
Wendy18
Thank you all so very much. I did notice she had been drinking more water and peeing more, but it has been very dry here so attributed it to that. Prior to the vomiting spell, she had been her spunky self. I miss her so much.

(((Everyone)))
Quote 0 0
erica212
I know that it is heartbreaking to not see any signs of them being sick. I too went through that, drinking more water and peeing more, but we live in AZ. where it's hot and dry, so I never thought that would be a warning sign of what was to come. It wasn't something out of the normal for ours to do. So many of us in here lost loved ones because they got sick with no warning signs at all, and as much as we hate what happened, there was nothing we could do to stop it. I won't lie, it hurts like heck.
I am sorry that you have to go through this, but at least coming here to talk and no that you are not alone with how you feel, does help, even if it is just a little.

Take care,
Erica
Quote 0 0
Woodypatty
I am so sorry for your loss of Lilybelle. I know how you are hurting. I too didn't see an illness early enough to save my Chow/mix Squeakers 5 years ago.I still feel some measure of guilt after all this time but I am told illness is easy to miss in our k9s.  Three weeks ago I lost my dear furbaby Raven to a truck. Loosing a furbaby suddenly is such a shock. I am still trying to recover as I am sure you are. It will take time and I don't think we will ever totally get over the grief. My prayer is that someday we will see our precious ones again. Coming to this site has helped me in the heeling process. I hope it does the same for you.                                                                       Patty
Quote 0 0