trancelion
It hurts so much. My little Dory girl passed suddenly last Thursday. I only got a year and couple months. I adopted her at 11 years young after the passing of my 17 year old minpin, Dutch.

I came home Thursday and she was collapsed and she fought for 7 hours at the ER before her little heart gave out. She was such a shining beacon of joy and bark and fluff. She slipped into my heart and we'd only just grown to be so in love with one another. She made me feel so less alone, less depressed. She was joy incarnate.

I wouldn't want it to not hurt, but I don't know how to deal with the guilt, the.

She'd nearly passed out a couple days earlier at the park. I took her to vet knowing that the incident had been serious, that something was terribly wrong, even though she was already back to her happy bouncy self. The vet told me to get her to cardiology that was the next step. All I could do from there was wait for a cardiology appointment. The soonest was two and half weeks. Every day for three days I came home telling myself it would be okay but dreading the worst. I had to believe she'd make it to that appointment. And then she didn't. And it seems so unfair. I knew. I knew. But all I had was hope and she still didn't make it.

It hurts so badly. The 'what ifs' and 'if onlys' are like agony. Couldn't more have done?

My beautiful little girl. My dory

IMG_3267.jpg 

Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
What a beautiful girl your Dory, those sweet dark eyes.  I am so sorry you lost her. I know about all the guilt and what if's and should have's that we replay in our minds. We are only human and we do the most we can with the information we are given. You did your best by Dory and I am so sure she knows how much you love and care for her. 
Quote 0 0
Purzel
So so sorry for your loss of your beautiful Dory. And I am even more sorry you had her for only just a relatively short time - still she was blessed that you took her, loved her and cared for her. I am sure she was given a beautiful home. You see, sometimes things happen rather quickly and your heart already knew in some way, right? I doupt seriously that she could have been saved as you had already done everything possible that could have been done at that time. We all do question ourselves afterwards if we could have done anything better than we did - and alone those questions should show us how much we really cared. You are not alone in this - we hear you.

My heart goes out to you
Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
trancelion
Thank you both so much for the kind words. It just spins around in my head and becomes bitterness and that not what I want to think about, I want to remember the blessing of having her in my life. I just needed to speak it and someone to say what I know is true. Its just so hard. So thank you so much. 
Quote 0 0
chance
dory is beautiful. Such sweet soulful eyes. You probably thought/hoped she would live as long as your last dog. a long life for a dog. I thought the same. I lost my ridgeback in May at 15. i just knew my beagle mix would live that long or longer. he was a smaller dog. but at 12 he got diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. i lost him last month. I commend you for opening your heart to a senior dog. i respect people who do that. After losing two now , i’m searching for a young dog. being selfish , as the years zoom by. you taking in dory was so selfless and so full of love. and although the time was short I would have to think she came into your life for a reason. i feel your pain. it’s the hardest thing to go through. prayers and hugs.
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dory. I truly admire people like you that are able to adopt seniors. It takes a very special person. I know it wasn't long enough, but I am so glad Dory got at least one year with you. You didn't mention what her situation was before you, but it's clear she finally knew true love with you❤❤. I LOVE the picture you posted; Dory is so cute!!

Quote 0 0
trancelion
chance wrote:
dory is beautiful. Such sweet soulful eyes. You probably thought/hoped she would live as long as your last dog. a long life for a dog. I thought the same. I lost my ridgeback in May at 15. i just knew my beagle mix would live that long or longer. he was a smaller dog. but at 12 he got diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. i lost him last month. I commend you for opening your heart to a senior dog. i respect people who do that. After losing two now , i’m searching for a young dog. being selfish , as the years zoom by. you taking in dory was so selfless and so full of love. and although the time was short I would have to think she came into your life for a reason. i feel your pain. it’s the hardest thing to go through. prayers and hugs.

thank you so much. Im so sorry to hear of your loss as well. I want to rescue seniors. This hurts so much more than I was prepared for though. I was devastated when my old Dutch died at 17, but I do see now that I was very lucky and blessed to get him for so many years. He was sick and slowing down for a while in his last year, but Dory, she was such a energetic little soul to the last moment.
Quote 0 0
trancelion
Rookiesmama wrote:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dory. I truly admire people like you that are able to adopt seniors. It takes a very special person. I know it wasn't long enough, but I am so glad Dory got at least one year with you. You didn't mention what her situation was before you, but it's clear she finally knew true love with you❤❤. I LOVE the picture you posted; Dory is so cute!!

Thank you thank you. Dory came from a high kill shelter in Kentucky to my home in Canada. It was chance. I wasn't even looking to adopt her but her rescue was bringing her through Toronto. I wax and wane between feeling so blessed to have gotten the time we had and then that it seems so unfair, she should've gotten more time. It's useless to say but if I'd known we get so little time I'd have made it even more special for her. Cherished every day and not taken one minute for granted. I'd never had such a happy little dog. She was adoring and spunky. I just still can't believe she is gone. 
Quote 0 0