eproe71
The second pet I have lost this year, my 16 year old dachshund, Tootsie.
She had 13 great years, the last 3 we dealt with mast-cell tumors and 3 surgeries.
This past week, my girl took a turn for the worse and I had to make the difficult decision.
Today I had her put to sleep and brought her ashes home to be scattered in the yard she loved to run.
I know I made the right decision, she was suffering.  But I am still hurting and I feel lost.  The house is quiet tonight.  I don't know    how I am going to get through this one.

Ed

Tootsie.jpg 
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Ed, it's the worst pain. And to lose two this year, that's purely awful.

I'm so, so sorry about your sweet baby Tootsie. She looks adorable!

I'm so glad you are here. Everyone understands all too well. My heart goes out to you very much.

Take good care of yourself while your grief is so raw. And I hope writing here and hearing from other grievers will help you much.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
eproe71
Thanks for you kind words Catie.  This forum helped me back in May when I lost my cat unexpectedly.  I was just beginning to get beyond my pain when I had to make the decision to put my loyal pal down today.  Ughh.
I think time is the only thing that will help.

I am sorry for your loss as well.  Hope you are doing better than I am.

Ed
Quote 0 0
CK1991
I'm sorry too Ed! Tootsie is such a beautiful girl and with such a kind look about her. Its just so hard to lose two pets in the same year. I did as well and it tore my heart out. I've never been able to write their story. Maybe someday. You really did make the right decision not to allow Tootsie to suffer and it was a decision made out of love. Now when you walk in your yard, she will always be there. I found it so helpful coming to the forum and knowing that I wasn't alone in the awful grief and devastating pain I felt. I hope it will help you again. I'm so sorry for both your losses! Big hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am sorry Ed for the loss of your Tootsie, and for losing 2 precious babies in one year, it takes a toll on the heart, especially when you are grieving for one of your babies then lose another within a close time.

You were a great Dad and did not let your Tootsie suffer, and what a beautiful pic you posted of your baby.

Please keep coming back and posting, it takes away that alone feeling.

Cam

Quote 0 0
eproe71
Thank you all.  You are so kind.  I hope you are all dealing with your grief.
I'd like to tell the story of how I came across the greatest pet I've ever known- if anyone would like to hear.  I think it would help me to type it out.
December 30, 2002, I had to go to the local pet store to pick up medication for my tropical fish.  The store i chose was the only one that sold the medicine I needed.  When I got there, I noticed a litter of Dachshund pups- born on Halloween.  I quickly drove home and asked my wife if we could adopt one and low and behold she said yes.  I drove back down to the store and played with the 4 puppies in the pen area.  One in particular, was the smallest- the runt of the litter.  She came right up to me and wagged her tail.  I picked her up and she licked my face relentlessly.  That was it.  She was the one.
I brought her home and named her Tootsie.  I spent the next 16 years of my life with her.  My best friend.  As loyal as you can imagine. 
The last few years were rough.  She was diagnosed with mast-cell tumors.  I had three different surgeries performed over three years to try to extend her life.  She suffered from excessive stomach acid because of this illness.  I ground up antacids and fed them to her in milk.  I went home for lunch every single day to let her out and to clean up after her.  I washed her bedding twice a week at the laundromat in order to keep her clean.  I did everything I could think of to keep her comfortable this past year.
The last week, she took a turn for the worse.  I cooked her a steak dinner and took her for one last drive in the car.  She soon stopped eating and drinking.  She could no longer walk or go to the bathroom.  She slept all day.  She was shutting down.  I slept on the couch with her on her last night at home in case she passed.  I knew in my heart it was time to relieve her suffering, but could I do it?
I had to make the toughest decision I have ever had to make.  I took her to the vet for one last time.  I was with her the moment she passed.  At least she wasn't alone.
Now, I cry when I am alone.  I try to avoid letting my 11 year old daughter see me like this.  She cries when I do.  I miss my friend.  But I know it was inevitable.  I guess we are all just temporary fosters for our pets.  For we will usually out live them.  We need to provide our pets with food, shelter, and love while they are here.  Every adoption will ultimately end up in pain.  But it was so worth it.  I would do it all over again- even with the pain I am suffering now.
Quote 0 0
eproe71
Tootsie1.jpg 
Quote 0 0
catiebee
What a precious girl. Her photos are adorable! She looks verrrry spunky! 

I love her story. It was great that your wife was up for the adventure of adopting this little punkin. 😉

And oh, how you loved this sweet baby! You worked so hard to keep her with you and to tend her needs. I'm so sorry she became ill and that she had to go. It is truly a heartbreaking experience to love them so much and to be so loved by them, yet have to part. I realize it's inevitable, but it's so stark and so wounding when it happens. Tears are healing and often they keep coming for some time.

I wish you much comfort and encouragement now and in the days ahead. Thank you so much for sharing her with us--what a little doll!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0