Maricela
I took by furbaby, Gilbey, to the vet on Tuesday, 7/22 and he was given a clean bill of health. On Thursday, 7/24, I had to take him to an emergency room and he later died. I am shocked and devastated and don't know what to do. He was my best friend and constant companion. I was told that he died from Cardiac Arrest due to shock and Hemorraghic Gastroenteritis. Has anyone ever experienced a loss that fast?
Maricela
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831

Maricela,

I'm so sorry about Gilbey. You have my deepest sympathy for such a sudden, devastating and inexplicable loss. There are others here who will let you know if a similar situation has happened to them. This is a wonderful place for support for the grief we feel after losing our beloved furbabies.

My situation was not as immediate as yours but it all happened way too fast. My Golden Retriever Murphy was just fine the 3rd week of May at our vet visit and then suddenly stopped eating a few days later and wasn't drinking as much. I kept taking him back day after day and they kept running tests which were coming back abnormal, not diagnostic for one thing in particular, but rather pointed to a number of things as "possibilities." By June 6 he was referred a specialty animal hospital where they performed every test in the book and still couldn't figure out what it was. On June 12 he had exploratory surgery to find the problem during which they put 2 feeding tubes in his belly to try and get him nourishment. It turned out to be massive pancreatitis that didn't show up on any of the ultrasounds or x-rays. He was having hyperbaric oxygen therapy, every test and treatment imaginable. He was to finally come home June 19, but took a sudden horrible turn June 18. I rushed down there, spent some time with Murphy, and he was sent to the Rainbow Bridge while I held, talked to and loved him. On May 31 he weighed 84 pounds, June 6 he weighed 79, and his cremation weight was only 67 pounds. It doesn't seem possible it all happened in just a little over 2 weeks and couldn't be diagnosed without putting him through surgery.  

I work in the human medical field and do know that cardiac arrest from shock due to internal bleeding can happen very quickly. I don't know why there were no signs of gastroenteritis, particularly hemorrhagic. Did Gilbey have blood work at your vet? Vomiting and/or diarrhea? I've had dogs with gastroenteritis before and they showed signs of being sick. Did the emergency room give you any information about why nothing was picked up before it was too late?

You obviously did everything you could for Gilbey by seeking proper care for him. I did with Murphy as well, but I still feel as if something was missed or I allowed too much or somehow didn't do enough. I miss him terribly, too, as he was my constant companion with working from home, always by my side, and just like my own child. It's the worst experience I've ever been through and still seems like yesterday. Sometimes these things are just out of our hands despite our very best efforts.

I would love to hear more about Gilbey and see pictures if you feel like posting some. We're all suffering here and understand your pain. Murphy and all the furbabies undoubtedly welcomed Gilbey to the Rainbow Bridge where they're all playing happily together, just waiting for the day we join them.

Again, I'm so terribly sorry this happened.

Blessings to you and Gilbey,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)

"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Gertie
Maricela wrote:
I took by furbaby, Gilbey, to the vet on Tuesday, 7/22 and he was given a clean bill of health. On Thursday, 7/24, I had to take him to an emergency room and he later died. I am shocked and devastated and don't know what to do. He was my best friend and constant companion. I was told that he died from Cardiac Arrest due to shock and Hemorraghic Gastroenteritis. Has anyone ever experienced a loss that fast?

I am so sorry for the loss of your little Gilbey. Yes, I have suffered a loss suddenly last year. My 11 year old kitty was not feeling well. He was treated on Friday for Asthma. I had to take him back on Sunday, he was put to sleep. He had congestive heart failure. Like you I was devastated. He was so loving and had passed his medical in Oct, he died Jan 20th. It seems they missed a heart murmur. I then went on to loose my 9 year old Lhasa in July. Some how I managed to move on. It took the best part of a year. I will always remember them and hold them close to my heart. I am thinking of you. Was Gilbey a kitty?

Sending you hug's,

Duncan & Myles Momxx
Quote 0 0
Maricela
Sorry, I did not post the details as I was too upset. But yes, for some reason on that Thursday morning, I woke up at 3am and found bloody diarrhea on the floor. That is when I took him to the emergency room. I just still don't understand, how on Tuesday afternoon, he got a clean bill of health on Thursday morning, he died. The e/r dr told me that HGE can be that fast sometimes, but that just seems too fast. I am struggling with so much guilt. . . should I have known sooner, did I not get him there fast enough, was there something more I could have done. Before that, he was completely fine. And when they did tell me that they suspected HGE, I looked up everything I could on the internet while I was in the waiting room and everything I saw seemed like he would be ok. He might have to stay in the hospital, but only in rare cases did death occur. It NEVER occurred to me that he would not make it.

I tried to post a picture of him earlier, but it said it exceeded the size limit. But he was a 13 y/o male Brussels Griffon. They are normally shown with clipped ears on the web, but I did not clip them.

He was such a joy and I honestly don't know how I am gonna survive this.

Maricela
Quote 0 0
Gertie
I know how sad you are. Going through grief has many stages. Shock, guilt and anger. We have all traveled that road. It takes time. But time is sometimes the enemy. It leaves you with doubts and a huge hole in your heart.. Please know Gilbey loved you, that will never change. Remember all the good times. I found writing here about my babies helped me. I promise you will smile again when you think of him. He would want to to do that. He is close by watching over you.
Remember you are not alone.

Duncan & Myles Mom.
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
My dog was running down the hallway of the ER, I picked him up, sat down, his head fell over and he died. I understand FAST. I was so stunned I gasped, the vet came over and said his heart was slowing down/dying and all I could do was whisper as fast as I could in his ear.......I love you, I love you, I love you.....over and over........

You are in shock. Please go slow and be very gentle with yourself, I am so sorry for your loss.

You are not alone.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
MonkeysMama

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine the shock and confusion you're going through right now. 

On top of everything you're going to be feeling, please try to not let guilt be at the forefront. If your vet gives your love a clean bill of health, there's not much else you can do besides believe it to be true. 

I wish you weren't going through this heartache right now.

I am happy to hear that you shared so many years together. I know it doesn't change the pain but every moment is so important when it comes to this one. 

I just wanted to reach out, extend my heartache for you and let you know, just as so many have and will said, you are not alone.

Not at all. My heart still aches and every day is hard and it's been well over a month since my sweet baby boy was hit by a car.

It feels impossible.

Please just take one day...one moment at a time. We're all here for you in those moments of weakness.

Thinking of you and sending love,
Angelena

Monkey
April 1st, 2011 - June 7th, 2014
Rest in peace my sweet baby boy, I can't wait to see you again.
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Hi Maricela,

I was glad to see you joined the ceremony tonight. Did you find it helpful? I found it difficult the first time, but since then it's become more and more comforting. I hope it helped you a little. There are many here who truly care.

Thinking of you,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Brett_Fairchild
I'm sorry for your loss.  My cat died two weeks ago, and I've just been devastated by what happened.  I never knew how bad it could hurt to lose a pet until now.  It's nice to be on a website like this where others can feel your pain and understand what you're going through.  I'll pray that you'll find strength to get through this tough time.
Quote 0 0
frerika
I am so sorry for you loss. I understand how you feel. I lost my Bailey last Tuesday. I to took her to the vet no more than a week before and was told that she was alright and when I rushed her into the emergency room a week later I was told that she had fluid in her lungs they told me she had lung disease. I beat myself up wondering if I should've taken her to a different vet and got x-rays and blood work done. We don't always get the answers how, why, when. I feel your pain and I know that you wish you saw the signs and could have saved your baby. But the truth is that you did everything that you could do and your baby knew that. This forum has been so helpful for me and I am sure that it can be of some comfort to you. I am hear for you and I hope that as time goes on, the pain leaves and you can think about all the wonderful times you and Gilbey shared. I pray that God gives you peace .

Frerika,
(Bailey's mommy)
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
My heart goes out to you on the sudden loss of your sweet Gilbey.  I understand the confusion that you are feeling.  I also understand the guilt...we all seem to have feelings of guilt, for various reasons, after we say goodbye to our adored companions.  I have been there too.  For weeks I tortured myself with the "If only..." and "I should have...." and "Why didn't I..." and the list goes on.  Then i eventually came to the acceptance that I loved my dear Bella so much and everything I did was for her. If I could change what happened I would.  If love could have saved her, she would have lived forever.  You too, did all you could for Gilbey.  You sort medical advice and was assured that he was in good health...there isn't anything else you could do. When it became apparent that something was wrong, you visited the vet again.
Unfortunately, some things are just out of our control.  Gilbey knows that you loved him and did all that you could.  Hold your memories in your heart forever.

I may be able to help with resizing your photos.
1. Open your photo on your computer.
2.click on edit
3.Then open it again when the new window opens up.
4.click on properties.
5. Click on resize
6. Select a size --->smaller.
7. Save the new, smaller photo.
8. Insert the new smaller photo into your posts.

I wish you peace and healing.

Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0