Ralphkomarsky Show full post »
LisaAndy
I have been doing much better this past week, I even sent an application to adopt another dog, and that gave me something to look forward to...but I may not get him because these rescue groups can be real pains in the necks. I know I can make a great home for this dog. 
But they let me fill out an application and asked if I wanted to meet the dog. I said yes and never heard from them again.

So that is a whole nother story! I think having another pet to take care of but you know it is a different relationship might help me at this point. But then today BAM I am crying again about Andy and I was doing so well. 

It's a real emotional roller coaster for sure!
Not one I wanted to be on at this time.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Yeah my Mum always had saying for when life got to be too much, and now I use it-"Stop the world! I wanna get off!" I don't know where she got it from, but it's spot-on in cases like these, plus it brings a smile to my face picturing people hopping off the globe like it's a carnival ride. It definitely fits! 🐱
Quote 0 0
1furbabymom
Marie, I know I have said that a few times in my life too. And honestly, here lately I really feel like I just want to get off.

Lisa I've always wondered how the rescue part worked. I've heard of people getting pets through them but having to almost jump through hoops. I'd hate to get so far and then be let down when I wasn't chose. I think I am ready to look at some kittens again, but I'm scared at the same time. I know that I won't have anyone to watch him/her when I want to go visit my oldest son, especially if my other two leave and go back to the east coast. I don't want to leave a kitten alone. But I wish you luck with the process, hopefully you'll hear from them soon.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Kittens are such a blast! I'm not quite ready for another yet, though. I don't think my other cats are just yet either. Maybe if you get one you could fix him/ her up in a little crate or kennel so they don't get into anything they aren't supposed to while you're gone? They sure like to turn up in some weird places! 🐱
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
The rescues want to make sure that the pet gets into a good home, because the pet has been abandoned once, which is understandable. However they often put very unreasonable restrictions on the adoptions. I've seen that you MUST have a fence (why this makes one a good dog owner I don't know) I just saw on a poodle rescue that you must have a fence but promise not to let the dog go out in the fenced area alone without you so you can keep it safe from predators! Why not just take it out on a leash and forget the fence! It's a tiny poodle why does it need a fenced yard?

Usually they don't like those who work full time, live in apartment, have children, might have children, are too young, are too old. I read one which said "If you are in your 20s and think over the next 15 years you might get married and have children, please do not apply"!!!! And I just read "make sure you are going to outlive the dog" - um none of us know how long we will live. I think it was a nice way to say No One over 60 need apply.

I understand their pickiness but the best dog owner I know lives in an apartment and makes sure she takes the dog out every night for 2 hours to the dog park. Just because you have a fence says nothing. You can put the dog out in the fence all day like my next door neighbors who never take their dog anywhere.

If you don't want the tenth degree, you are best off going to your local Animal control . For cats there are a ton to choose from and it is more inexpensive. Unfortunately I want a small non-shedding dog because of my allergies and all these types of dogs are immediately sent from the County shelters to the rescue groups. I think they are worried that they may be adopted for "bait".  The SPCA and the Humane Society are also better than these smaller private rescues.  You would do well to try them for a kitten or a cat. You can go in and select one and fill out the paper work there and take it home. I had to give 3 references who they are calling. I need to wait 2 weeks to get a chance to meet the dog. This is what they told me. Then I was trying to pin down the date to meet the dog, and they didn't answer my email. I waited two days and asked them again and no answer.

I put in a request and filled out application and was told I could meet the dog but now they are ignoring me. I answered all the questions right : ex I am home most of the time, I don't work outside the home, I have no small children, I have a fence, the pet will sleep in my bedroom,  I am not planning on getting pregnant, I am middle aged, my home is quiet, I have experience with dogs etc. I would not discipline the dog for peeing in the house etc etc.  But they won't answer my email about meeting the dog. 

Ralph, sorry for taking your thread off track! I just am trying to heal and I thought helping another poor thing would be something I could do for Andy, who I helped have a better life for ten years. He was a rescue and I got him from the SPCA and it was very easy
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
And furbaby mom, you can look online at Care.com and hire a pet sitter when you go away to come to your house. It is easy to find people with good references to watch your kitty when you travel. Also there are other websites offering cat care. PetSmart Pet Hotel offers overnight cat care.  You could even find a local teenager to come or a neighbor to come to watch the kitten. You could also take it to the vet who do kitten and cat sitting. It's all not cheap but that is the one down side to owning pets- you need to make arrangements when you go out of town. I can understand you are nervous. Perhaps you need a little more time before committing to getting another. 
Quote 0 0