OmarR
I posted about my loss of Emma in the "Loss Forum".

Purdue could not find anything wrong with her, until the biopsy AFTER she passed. It was 3 weeks, from start to finish.

They said it was a rare form of Cardiac Lymphoma. They couldnt have caught it. Only by doing a biopsy of the heart itself, and they said that could have caused cardiac arrest.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would like to hear your story. Even if it wasnt cardiac specific.

I want to hear if your baby wasnt able to be diagnosed with some form of lymphoma until AFTER they passed away.

My baby has been gone 5 weeks. I guess it gets a little easier, day by day.

Thank you for listening!
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
First, I am sorry about Emma's passing. Cancer is becoming so common with our pets. I read an article that attributed certain dog foods and lawn treatments. It's an awful experience for both the pet and owner. It was a week from the " suspected diagnosis" until I freed him. He was running off leash the week before that, but not quite himself, in looking back. My Beau was given a highly suspected, but never 100% confirmed diagnosis of carcinomatosis, an aggressive and terminal mets cancer. Based on the litre + of bloody fluid in his abdomen and the very abnormal ultrasound and biopsied fluid. I opted against exploratory surgery for the origin (why?), which could have made things worse more quickly and against an autopsy. Based on his initial mild symptoms, something was wrong. I think the ultrasound done to drain fluid and all the tests and stress sort of exacerbated things and he went downhill quickly from that point on. Lost control of his bowels, regurgitation, vomiting, becoming not interested in food and play an a general lack of happiness. I freed him before the worst of the cancer took him. His quality of life was diminishing, he just looked tired of not feeling well and I didn't want to put him through more stressful testing. He hated going to the vet in the end. He was not himself prior to the diagnosis, nothing major, thought it may have been his usual medical flare ups, but I had a hunch something was up this time that was different. Animals cannot tell us and vets what hurts, so vets have to rule out or in some cases, take a guess, based on past cases, as said. Sometimes an autopsy is the only way to confirm. They are also masters at hiding their pain, until they can no longer do that. Hope this helps. It's been three months and I will say, time does heal. I still miss him and it all seems surreal at times, but I am mending and glad he is comfortable now. Hope this finds you healing...
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
She was a beaut, by the way. We and they, got robbed of some good future years, didn't we? But, I guess it was just our journeys. 
Quote 0 0
OmarR
Silvermini3,

I am sure I will find more info about your sweetie in another thread....but may I ask....Why did you choose against the necropsy(autopsy)?

As for me...it was killing me NOT know. Did I miss something? Did I screw up?

And you are right...we were robbed of some good years. How old was your sweetie? I see some of these other threads, and people are definitely as saddened by the loss of their senior dog. I would have given anything to see my Emma live to 12-14 years. :(
Quote 0 0
chicagocats
Omar - I'm so sorry for your loss of Emma. Purdue is an excellent place and I was going to call them to ask them if they could do anything for my Carma cat, but everything happened so quickly that I couldn't. I had just gotten the estimate from the surgeon in Buffalo Grove and we had just done the ultrasound and started her on treatment for bladder cancer. She was only on the treatment 2 days and then started urinating blood. The hospice vet said he didn't think that the 7mmx9mm tumor was the complete cause of her going downhill so quickly. I just had the urinary ultra sound done the week before she died. I'm wishing now I had requested a full abdominal ultrasound to see if the cancer had spread - but at the time I didn't even know she had cancer. We thought she had bladder stones or kidney stones. I knew cancer was possible given her symptoms, but none of her blood work showed a change in red or white blood cells. The hospice vet said she had more going on -possible cancer somewhere else or that her kidney disease had suddenly gotten worse.

I'm going round and round in my mind about what I could have done differently and if I made the wrong choice with using the medication.

She has been a bit off since February and we've been to the vet more than 5 times doing tests. It wasn't until the last time we went that blood showed up in her urine draw. It just went downhill from there. I'm so frustrated by the tests and lack of knowledge from the tests. It seems like we ran so many tests - blood, urine, ultrasounds, x-rays. It took too long to piece this together and even then, I don't feel we still had the full picture.
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
OmarR - I opted out because the vet, the oncologist and the previous owner who he came from (was also a vet) were not at all optimistic. Based on the tests performed (fluid analysis, ultrasound etc) and probably past cases. They all highly suspected an aggressive and mets cancer. Chemo would have no effect and because he was hating to go to the vet at that point, I opted out on more invasive procedures. He was wiped from all of them already. I wanted him to be "present" mentally in the little time we had left. The previous owner was honest with me and I'm glad, by saying she would be surprised if he lasted the week. So I administered palliative meds, loved him and cared for him as I always did and had a very quiet and peaceful week, just he and I. I asked him at one point, actually his last day, if he could help me know when he's had enough and he did, physically. So I freed him at that point. He gave me a gift by letting me know in his own way, I gave back to him. I respect your decision as decisions are very personal. Autopsy, treatments, when to free them etc. I will admit that I did beat myself up a little afterward (we are so good at that), second questioned how far I should have gone, did I free him too early. But I think we know our pets better than anyway. What they need, when enough is enough etc. I choose to free Beau before the worst of the cancer. But he was definitely declining and I saw a lack of luster in him. He looked sad. And tired of it all. He had a medically challenging life to begin with, so maybe he had enough of the fight. So it's a different experience for everyone. I honor your decisions. And again, I am sorry. I hope the results brought you some peace. Beau was 9, his breed can live up to 15. Three months ago yesterday....
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
Another thing....the older I get and the more experiences I have and see with others, I am coming to believe that we all have a journey and it has a meaning, even our animals do. But it's still hard to say goodbye....
Quote 0 0
frostymommy
Hi Omar ,
The breeder said that Frosty’s parents were tested for cardiac health, but I looked at the contract but it only says eyes and hip tested. Frosty collapsed from heart attack within 8 mins and had no pulse when my car arrived at the vet. The vet said it is very likely heart attack, given how fast it happened. We didn't do necropsy... there was nothing we could do at that point and the kids were already so upset. So we cremated him and got his ashes back 4 days ago. It was heartbreaking. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement, your Emma is such a Beauty! Frosty is so blessed that he has Emma and all the pups n kitties to play with in heaven. Praying your Tulip is doing well... take good care! By the way, did your insurance company pay for the necropsy and how much does it generally cost?
Soph
Frosty Joy 5/14 - 7/16
Quote 0 0
OmarR
Sophie,

Since Purdue is a teaching hospital, they paid for the autopsy. They did not let me know the cost.

I was a little hesitant at first, picturing them slicing open my Emma up. But I knew that she was not there anymore, and only her physical body remained.

As I type this...I am crying uncontrollably. This is all I can type for now.
Quote 0 0