AL
Hello everyone, 

I am a new member and first I'd just like to thank whoever started this forum and all of you for sharing your stories. It helps to know that I'm not alone in my grief. I'll try to keep this short. About two months ago my wife and I lost our dog Rocky who we've had since our freshman year at college (I'm 31 now). Being so young and having that responsibility, we built our whole lives around him. We took him everywhere with us he was truly part of our family. Everything he did made me smile. He was our everything.

Then, this last July I took him to the vet because I noticed that he had been slowing down a little and seemed to have trouble getting comfortable. The vet found a mass in his abdomen the size of my fist (he was only 20 lbs beagle/jack Russell mix). The vet recommended taking a sample of the mass before surgery and reluctantly we agreed. We didn't want to put him through any more procedures than necessary as he was getting older already 12 years old. Well the next day after taking the samples we knew something was wrong. He wouldn't eat and would barely move. So we took him to a 24 hour vet and had him checked out. They said he was anemic but should be fine through the night. So we took him home and tried to get some sleep. Then in the middle of the night as i was laying with him he started to vomit and seizure, and died suddenly.  Seeing my dog that I loved so much go like that truly hurt me. I hope he knows how much I loved him and how I wish there was something that I could have done. I wanted him to grow to be an old dog and die peacefully in his bed but I guess we all can't have that. I still feel guilty like there was more I should have done but I know that every decision I've made for him in the last 12 years I've done with his best interest in mind. I was lucky to have him for as long as I did. 

I hope it helps to get this off my chest. I still come home everyday from work and get sad that he's not there. Everywhere I look in my house reminds me of him. My hope is just to get to a place where I can think of him and be happy not sad, because he truly brought me so much happiness in life. Thank you for allowing me to share. I hope one day I see him again, till then I love you Rocky. 

Sam Phone Photos 007.jpg
Quote 0 0
aconner24
Hey there,
I recently lost my dog after he became very sick overnight as well. It was very unexpected and extremely hard to watch. Every day hurts and everything is a reminder. Hang in there, you’re not alone.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Rocky. What a nice picture you posted of him. He was a very handsome boy. In time you will get to that place where his memories make you happy but it is still early days. Unfortunately you will need to mourn the loss of Rocky. Don't try and rush it. Just try and go with it and let out the pain you are feeling. I know how hard it is. Take Care and be sure to one back with an update on how you are doing. I think you will see him again! Wishing you peace,
Sam
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
I am so sorry for your loss. It seems they are just not with us long enough. I'm sure you did all you could for him under the circumstances. The loss is deeper than we could have imagined.

RIP Rocky.
Quote 0 0