mitre
A few months ago i started to feed a scrappy, skinny little cat that had been visiting our garden daily. One night during heavy rain and wind we invited him into the house, he curled up in front of the chair and decided he wanted to stay.

We took him to the vet and he wasn't microchipped so we decided he was coming to stay with us for good, he became part of our family.

This morning he ate his breakfast as normal bit wouldn't go out afterwards like he usually does. About 10 minutes later as i got ready to leave for work i found him totally still lying behind the door with a bit white foam in his mouth, not breathing. I lifted him and went straight to the vet but sadly he was long gone.

The vet suspects a heart condition but not knowing is the worst part. I feel so guilty and wonder is it something i done? Should i have noticed a problem? Was he in pain or did he suffer? I was in such a state of shock at the vet that i refused the post mortem as the thought of them doing anything invasive was just horrible.

The house just feels so lonely without him, he was just a baby (about 2 or 3) and was as much a member of our family as anyone else. So sad.
Quote 0 0
Sandy_T
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat of 12 years to a heart condition. You should not feel guilty. You gave this precious baby a loveing home for his last days. If not for you he would have died alone under a bush. He/she is thankful for that.
Quote 0 0
Micciou
I am so sorry for your loss. I too just lost my pal of almost 13 years, I had to put him done due to cancer and I felt so guilty, but this forum helped me understand that I did the best thing for him.  Please rest assured that your precious pal was very happy that you took him in, and when he passed he knew someone really cared for him.  Please visit this forum as much as you need to, because you will realize that you are not alone with your Grief and we are all here to support you. God Bless
Quote 0 0
Kimberlymichelle
I am thinking of you. I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby that you love so much. I lost my sweet dog Howie on the 8th of December and I still miss him so badly. I wish you peace and comfort as you navigate the grief process.
How lucky I am to have had something that I loved so much. Love to my Howie....always and forever.
Quote 0 0
mitre
Thank you all for your kind words.

Socks was in my dreams a lot last night. I saw him happy and contented, sleeping in his favourite position and showing off with his stretching and jumping. It was heartbreaking to awake this morning and not hear him trying to get my attention or sitting on my chest for a few minutes before i had to get ready for work. I put breakfast in his bowl as i usually do and when i realised it would never be eaten the tears came again.

I'm hoping seeing him last night was his way of telling me he is happy where he is now and that he wasn't angry with me as he wanted to see me again.
Quote 0 0
Mary_Jane
Hi Mitre. I'm really sorry for your loss of little Socks. Please don't feel guilty - you have done a wonderful thing to take him in from the cold and give him a warm and loving home. It sounds as though it was very quick and hopefully he knew nothing about it. It's lovely that you saw him in your dreams and I am sure that was for a reason. Much love to you, and thank you for caring enough to take him in when so many others wouldn't xx
"If the sky comes falling down, for you, there's nothing in this world I wouldn't do"
Quote 0 0
Tail11
Mitre, sorry for your loss. There are a lot of good folks on this forum that knows exactly how you feel. My Whisper was killed by my neighbors dog and it has been devastating to me. I am sending you warm thoughts.
Quote 0 0