siah Show full post »
siah
dear rolana,
thanks for warm comments and sorry about your loss.. hope things are getting better for you. i know exactly how you feel. my love for animals are the reason i get so emotional. it is a good thing to feel like that because your little companions they can feel and sense the love that you give them.

wish you the best

shawn

Quote 0 0
freakiecat

I'm sorry to hear of everyone's losses.  Without meaning to sound selfish, I feel very blessed to have a place to share the story of my own recent loss.  Laney was my ex-husband's dog but as he and I are still close friends she was still a part of my life.  She hadn't been eating for the last week or so, so when I was over at my ex's Sunday night I recommended he call the vet first thing in the morning even though it was a holiday.  He was able to get a 5:45PM appointment and I said I wanted to go along.  He picked me up and the smell coming from Laney was just horrible, like she was rotten inside.  We were optimistically hoping it was a terrible tooth/mouth infection gone awry that could be cured.  Laney had to be carried inside as she'd gotten very weak.  The vet looked in her mouth and said that it wasn't the problem.  The smell, he told us, was indicative of kidney failure and the yellow in her eyes indicated possible liver problems as well.  He said he'd have her prognosis in the morning so we left her there for the necessary bloodwork, etc.  Around 8:40AM yesterday, my ex called and said the diagnosis was cancer.  One of Laney's lungs had already collapsed and the vet recommended having her put to sleep.  My ex was hoping that even worst case scenario (such as it was) he would be able to take Laney home for just one last night with her before having her put down.  The vet said that even the trauma of lifting her at that point might be enough to kill her so it wasn't possible.  I told my ex to pick me up and we'd go say goodbye to Laney together.  The vet called one more time before my ex left to come to get me.  Laney had just died.  We went to the vet's to say goodbye just the same.  It was so hard to look at her lifeless body which had so recently been the picture of good health.  There was never any indication of anything wrong until the very end.  When my ex dropped me off, I crawled back into my bed.  I got up a couple of hours later and just cried.  I did my best to try to fill what was a very empty afternoon and evening and by late that night, I was crying uncontrollably.  The hurt and sense of loss is no less even though Laney technically was no longer "my" dog.  I hope my ex likes the residency I created for Laney here.  I think he will approve.  Thank you all for reading and for sharing.  We're all here for each other and there is a lot of strength and healing in that.  My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering.  freakiecat           

Quote 0 0
siah

this goes through my mind so much, it is probably stupid question but is there any scientific proof that cats and dogs know they are going to die like us humans? do they know that they won't be able to see us anymore the way we see things. i am just so curious to know. 

Quote 0 0
freakiecat

It's not a stupid question at all.  As far as there being scientific proof as to whether an animal knows it is going to die, I do not know.  I, however, DO believe THEY know and in the case of my recent loss, Laney didn't want anyone to know just how sick she was until it was too late.  May comfort find you.  freakiecat 

Quote 0 0
luvmyakita
I am very sorry to hear about your loss of Siah. We had to put Tunaka to sleep on Monday night and I have been in a bubble ever since. When leaving the vet on Monday I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital because I couldn't breathe. Losing him has been so painful.
You are lucky, I think, to have other cats. At least you have the warmth and softness of others to hold. 
Tunaka and me used to hang out together at night on a big sleeping bag and relax. I have been cuddling with the sleeping bag because it still has his scent and some of his fur on it. 
We all need to hold on to something of our pets to keep them alive in our hearts. A sleeping bag, picture, whatever is special to us.
Quote 0 0
legia
I feel the same way, my cat died on Wed afternoon while I was at work. But I spoke to my vet about how she may have died and it made me feel better. He said they actually prefer you not to be with them when they die. Cats like to be alone when dying. Also most are not conscious when they are dying as they usually have a seizure. I think having a chat to the vet helps.
Quote 0 0
Sheri_H

Shawn.. I know exactly what you mean about the morning & night routine.. My Rico was my 1st priority (when I was able to treat him) morning & night.. it was exhausting! Finally, Rico let me know he was "DONE" with receiving any more treatments (consisted of giving him fluids & meds.. Had to be creative with the meds. Rico was a BIG cat & my hands are small.. Neither my husband or I could get pills into him, even with instructions AND a pill popper thingy..! Gah..! I finally gave up after only about 3 weeks of that.. Didn't make sense to try & treat him when he fought me so much & then would throw the stuff back up, too.. poor thing.. I've felt the guilt about that also but, I have been telling myself that we did do all we could & not let those thoughts try & consume my mind.. btw.. I've cried at work, too. But I don't care if my coworkers feel uncomfortable.. cuz if they are.. its ok. I understand the process of grief & its phases & I understand there are people out there who just won't understand.. I have enough around me though, who do.. and now here as well.. what an awesome website this is :-) 

---------------------
Please visit Rico's residency:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/RICO002/Resident.htm
Also, more pics of Rico can be found on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1291163525&aid=2023119#!/photos.php?id=1291163525
Quote 0 0