Jackz
We lost our 12 year old Mini Schnauzer named Sherman last Tuesday the 12th. Watching him decline over the last summer was horrible. My wife and I finally came to grips with that dreaded decision on Tuesday. Appointment wasn't until late in the afternoon. That was the longest day of our life, watching the clock wind down until it was time to leave. Our youngest son insisted on being there and thank God because he was so strong for us. I have a million beautiful memories of my baby boy, but the only image I have in my head is seeing him laying on that table once he was gone. I'm balling my eyes out typing this. I want that picture to go away so bad but it keeps coming back. I have family and friends that have all lost beloved dogs and they have all reached out, but I feel like this is too much to bear. I want my boy back......house is so empty. I would post a picture of him here, but I'm not ready to look at all the pics I have of him. Not yet.
Quote 0 0
helenbutcher
Feel your pain!  2 days ago we had to put our sweet little 14 yr old dog Candy to sleep as a month ago they said she had lung cancer but expected her to LAST several more months but Wednesday she had a few seizers and we rushed to the emergency vet hospital and they kept her 2 days of medication but still had more seizers.  My 25 yr old daughter held her during the process and she is having a really bad time currently.
Helen Butcher
Quote 0 0
Freddyq
I just read your posting, and i am so sorry for your lost of Sherman and i understand your pain.. It must have been very hard to watch him pass... I just lost my sweet beautiful Keera a few days ago also. In my sitution what happened was she was strong and healthy and we took her to the Vet to get Spayed/Fixed on Wednesday and she died Thursday morning.. She was perfectly healthy and they killed her!!! I am so upset, and can not stop crying as well.. My wife and are other 3 dogs are devestated as well.. She was my sweet baby girl, and now she is gone.. Let us believe together that Sherman & Keera knew we both loved them dearly and they are playing together right now together in Heaven...
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
So sorry to hear about Sherman, it is terrible. The miniature schnauzers are so cute. I hope you can lose that last photo in your mind of him and replace with happy memories, altho I totally understand it is not easy to do. It has been nearly 2 months since I lost my dog and I keep replaying the last day as well. I know people try to help but it's very hard. I wish you the best in these terrible days of grieving. Big hugs to you.

Lisa

Quote 0 0
Jackz
helenbutcher wrote:
Feel your pain!  2 days ago we had to put our sweet little 14 yr old dog Candy to sleep as a month ago they said she had lung cancer but expected her to LAST several more months but Wednesday she had a few seizers and we rushed to the emergency vet hospital and they kept her 2 days of medication but still had more seizers.  My 25 yr old daughter held her during the process and she is having a really bad time currently.

Thank you for your comment. I am so very sorry about your sweet little dog Candy!  I know your pain and it is deep and raw......how brave of your daughter to be there for you. My wife and I were so comforted to have my son there for that horrible day. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jack
Quote 0 0
Jackz
Freddyq wrote:
I just read your posting, and i am so sorry for your lost of Sherman and i understand your pain.. It must have been very hard to watch him pass... I just lost my sweet beautiful Keera a few days ago also. In my sitution what happened was she was strong and healthy and we took her to the Vet to get Spayed/Fixed on Wednesday and she died Thursday morning.. She was perfectly healthy and they killed her!!! I am so upset, and can not stop crying as well.. My wife and are other 3 dogs are devestated as well.. She was my sweet baby girl, and now she is gone.. Let us believe together that Sherman & Keera knew we both loved them dearly and they are playing together right now together in Heaven...

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Keera! What a shock that must have been! At least with Sherman, we knew what was coming. I too hope they are running around, playing together! I miss my baby boy so much!  I will keep you in my prayers.

Jack
Quote 0 0
Jackz
LisaAndy wrote:
So sorry to hear about Sherman, it is terrible. The miniature schnauzers are so cute. I hope you can lose that last photo in your mind of him and replace with happy memories, altho I totally understand it is not easy to do. It has been nearly 2 months since I lost my dog and I keep replaying the last day as well. I know people try to help but it's very hard. I wish you the best in these terrible days of grieving. Big hugs to you.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa, I really appreciate your comments. It is a week today and I just can't believe he is really gone. I keep looking at his section of the couch that he loved. It still has his indent. My wife put his favorite blanket in a huge zipped up bag so we woudn't lose his smell. It's so hard.......
I looked at your page and your dog is so beautiful. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jack
Quote 0 0
Jackz
Sherman's birthday was this past Saturday. It was a tough day. My daughter had my grandaughter's birthday party that day. My daughter has a mini schnauzer that was Sherman's brother from the next litter. I thought it would be difficult to see Sammy, but it wasn't. He looks like Sherman, but he's a different dog. It was comforting seeing him. But my poor Sherman...........we got his ashes back this week, and his paw print in clay. These are both sitting on our fireplace mantle in our family room where Sherman spent a lot of his life with us, cuddling on the couch. I miss my boy so much and it is so hard to see that little wooden box. But he's home now. My good friend just told me he just found out his Boxer has cancer. This is a horrible month.......
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
So sorry, yes the birthday and getting the ashes back make for a rough time. I am glad you could see Sherman's brother Sammy and enjoy seeing him. I do like to see all the little dogs too. I know what you mean about the couch looking empty. It's just a very hard thing to go through. 
Quote 0 0
Jackz
It was 3 weeks ago today we lost our Sherman. Things I haven't been able to do or do correctly since that day: haven't made scrambled eggs for breakfast. I love scrambled eggs. So did Sherman. Sherman always got some of my eggs, it was part of morning ritual. I don't consistently take my blood pressure pills in the morning. My routine was putting his food in his bowl and taking my pills while he ate. I now get to work and realize I didn't take my pills. I no longer go get the newspaper for my wife to read when she gets up. Sherman was always with me when I got the paper. My wife understands and gets the paper after I go to work. I can't get dressed in the morning in my bedroom. Sherman would wait patiently while I got dressed so we could go downstairs together. I get dressed in a different bedroom now. Lastly, I haven't been able to drive home from work without breaking down. My boy isn't there any more when I walk in the door and our home is so sad now. One thing that is now part of my new morning routine is to touch the box that holds his ashes and his paw print in clay. Sorry to be rambling.
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry for your Sherman, but you were there til the very end with him and he remembers all the love you have for him.
Yes, it is hard losing our pets and seeing them decline...but we have to be selfless and think of how they feel and you were selfless.

Yes, things change, everything changes as you are missing your baby at home, they take away a huge part of our daily lives.

I lost 3 pets in 21 months, Jemma, Munki and Daizy and here it is almost one year later with  my recent Jemma transitioning....and i still have her bowl, and Munki's and Daizys bowl on my countertop, I am just not ready to put them away.

And i cried 8 months every day for Daizy, 9 plus months for Munki and almost 11 plus months for Jemma.....the more i lose another pet the longer i cry.......... I am coming to terms of thinking good thoughts and stopping the tears, but the tears have stopped but still come rolling down my face every few days each week...........this is a long hard road for our babies, they are our lives.............and to this day, every day.............i kiss each of their ashes and say good morning......it is just a ritual that keeps me close to them.

My heart goes out to you and your Sherman...

Cam

Quote 0 0
Jackz
Thank you so much for your kind words. You lost 3 pets in 21 months? Wow, I am so sorry, that sounds unimaginable. So much changes after they are gone, doesn't it? Well, I hope your 3 are playing with Sherm right now.....
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
So sorry it is such a hard thing. I don't see things getting much better for me but I'm about to adopt or trial adopt another dog. I hope I like him, it's not supposed to be a replacement for the dog that died but I can't see how I can't expect him to fulfill some of that role in my life.
I'm no better and it's too quiet here so friends think a new dog to pet will help me. I hope he does otherwise if it is not a good fit they said I can try for 2 weeks and can return if it is not working out. I know that sounds mean but it's okay he is in foster care at a house and not in a cage.
I am very sorry it seems like the pain just stays ...we miss our little friends so much- life is completely different as you say- all the rituals in your life you associate with your pet are completely changed. This is what makes it so difficult.

so sorry!
Quote 0 0
Jackz
LisaAndy wrote:
So sorry it is such a hard thing. I don't see things getting much better for me but I'm about to adopt or trial adopt another dog. I hope I like him, it's not supposed to be a replacement for the dog that died but I can't see how I can't expect him to fulfill some of that role in my life.
I'm no better and it's too quiet here so friends think a new dog to pet will help me. I hope he does otherwise if it is not a good fit they said I can try for 2 weeks and can return if it is not working out. I know that sounds mean but it's okay he is in foster care at a house and not in a cage.
I am very sorry it seems like the pain just stays ...we miss our little friends so much- life is completely different as you say- all the rituals in your life you associate with your pet are completely changed. This is what makes it so difficult.

so sorry!

Lisa, I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing, taking in that dog.
I think this pain is going to last a long time. It's so hard to get your head around the fact that they are gone. I am retiring in December and was so happy to think I'd be spending more time with my boy, but God had other plans. My wife and I are going to wait about a year and are thinking about getting two dogs. We just can't do it right now.
I hope the dog you are taking in brings you some comfort. Please post and let us know how it goes. Take care.

Jack
Quote 0 0
LisaAndy
Yes it is 2 1/2 months for me and I found myself crying again in the middle of the night. I  hate not having him at night. I still don't know if this new dog is a good idea but things can't be any worse.
sorry that you are having such a hard time. My good friend had 2 mini schnauzers a  male and  a female. .the female got cancer at age 12 and died and now the male is 14. She said he is getting dementia. I don't know what she is going to do when he goes. Those little schnauzers are such loyal friends. They really have their own personalities.
Lisa
Quote 1 0