LiquidRider

My 3 year old rescue male doberman passed away on July 4. I am devastated. I have been up all night. He had been sick for a couple of weeks with diarrehea....had bloodwork...stool sample work...xrays done...the vet said he had an enlarged liver and spleen...but she could not figure out why he had diaherrea for a couple of weeks. He had started eating his prescription soft food this last week and seemed to be bouncing back. But on Sunday he refused to eat. I tried hand feeding him and he ate just a little bit. Then Sunday night he was laying in his usual spot when he just started breathing really hard. I called my brother in law so that he could take us to the hospital. By the time we got there he passed away. He died in my arms. I really don't want to go into the details of his final moments. But it was so sad watching him like that. I just kept on looking into his eyes in those last moments and he was looking at me. And then his eyes just went blank.

He was a tough dog to the end. He showed me the true meaning of loyalty and unconditional love. He was always there for me. He was my true and best friend. Mazo, I miss you so much buddy...
Quote 0 0
CHASMOM

LiquidRider - I am so sorry for your loss of Mazo.  It's so hard when we don't know what's causing their distress and feel so helpless.  You did everything you could to help Mazo and he knows this.  My beagle died in my arms too, not from illness but because I had to make a very hard decision.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.  You were there for him and he knows how much you cared for him and loved him.  He took your image with him in those last moments and of course a piece of your heart.  With time you will be able to smile when you think of him instead of feeling so much grief.  Everyone here at this site understands what you are going through.  Visit often.  People here have helped me get through some very tough days.  My heart goes out to you.

Quote 0 0
LiquidRider
Thank you so much for the kind words....it's just so hard because his final moments keep on playing in my head...and then coming home from work to an empty house and not being greeted by a smile and a wagging tail is heart wrenching...my home feels empty...and then seeing his toys, empty crate, bed, and an old chewed up tshirt of mine that he loved to sleep on is so heart breaking....
Quote 0 0
luvuPOT
I'm really sorry for your loss. I couldn't help but tear up from your story. I didn't get to see my angel's last moments but I do get the pain. I just lost mine this morning.
Quote 0 0
DebbieD

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know about playing final moments because I remember how my Misty was having such a tough time breathing at the vet as they were trying to diagnose her. I left, with an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach and she passed soon afterwards. When you're ready, maybe going through some old pictures of when Mazo was healthy will help to bring back good memories.

Quote 0 0
CHASMOM

I also know what you are going through thinking about the final moments.  I did the same thing.  It's a hard thing to get over but with time you will think of other memories more often than the final ones.  Once in a while it will pop back in but it will be a bit easier to handle.  I'm so sorry.  I know what you are feeling right now.  DebbieD is right.  As soon as you are ready, look at pictures of the good days.  That's how Mazo would want you to remember him. 

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Dear LiquidRider,

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Mazo at such a young age.  It's so hard to accept the fact that their lives had just begun.  My heart aches for you. You tried so hard to help him get well.  When things didn't work out that way in the end, you were holding him in your arms and gazing into his eyes.  What a blessing for both of you that he knew you were right there with him.  He will be your best friend forever, never more than a whisper away from you.  Bless you for loving him so well and for giving him a lifetime of love in the short time he was with you.

You and Angel Mazo are in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
donnalee
LuquidRider, that is so sad.  I know it wasn't easy but, in the long run, I think you'll be glad you were with Mazo when he passed.  Many who come to this website end up feeling guilty because they were not able to be with their baby at the time of passing.  I'm sure it comforted him to have you with him. You were his best friend, his security. 
I hope you know you did everything you could and Mazo knows that.  We wish the vets could diagnose correctly and turn things around 100% of the time, but, unfortunately, it just doesn't happen.
I understand how you feel about coming home to an empty house.  Coming home and not being greeted by your furry friend is one of the toughest, if not the toughest thing.  It's been 12 weeks for me and I still come to the front door, unlock it, and think about him not being there....every single time.  No matter how hard the day had been, everything just washed away when he greeted me at the door. I'm sure it was the same for you.   I could barely get the door open and that nose would come around the corner....as you say, the wagging tail, their excitement to see you.   That pure, unconditional love they give us is just the best!  When it is suddenly taken from us, it truly takes time to recover.   
I'm so sorry for what you have gone through and please know we are all here for you.     

Quote 0 0