balto_3
Hi,
I had the most amazing dog I named Balto. He was a rescue pup that was part Shepherd, Retriever, Husky mix. He was only with me for a short while, but brought so much happiness to my life. We had are daily routine of first being greeted by a big hug from my little boy followed by are daily walk while we explored and he marked his territory. I refer to him as an old soul because of his demeanor and love he had toward me in such a short period of time. I taught him how to hug and loved brushing him and petting him while he would lay next to me. Anyway yesterday he was outside running around and I found him not breathing. I attempted CPR and tried to bring him back but he was gone. I just don't know what to do or think because his heart was gold and the amount of love I gained for him in such a short time is very rare to find.  
Ryan
Quote 0 0
Tiger07
my heart goes out to you. i too lost my best friend, my little cat on sunday after a short illness, i knew it was time to have him put to sleep (still battling with doubts to be honest) but your Baltos death was so sudden, with no time for you to think about or prepare yourself.  i have no real advice for you. just wanted to let you know, you do not have to face this alone. i found this forum just last night and i have found some comfort here, just to know that people understand as we have all been there and are in varying stages of our grief journey
Quote 0 0
balto_3
Thank you for that nice comment. Its just hard not understanding what happened. I truly didnt know his full medical background, but according to everything he was in perfect health. Its so hard knowing he is gone and the amount of love he had in this world. His soul was genuine gold as was his heart. 
Ryan
Quote 0 0
Tiger07
aw i know. some animals have the most beautiful souls don't they? my Tiger was the same. i wrote a letter to my cat on my facebook (set so only i can see it, as i dont want FB 'friends' to read my heartfelt thoughts and have them make comments to me - you know the sort of comments that make them feel good and look caring to anyone reading it) and it actually helped me, to remember the lovely times and the funny things he did, so many lovely memories to have - it stopped me from ruminating about the recent times, his illness and his death. i plan to make further comments on that status (only for myself to read of course) when i feel like telling him something, the things he did that i am so grateful for and that made me love him so much and that made me laugh, as he was a funny little boy. maybe you could try something like that? or write your feelings about him down, to pull the thoughts out of the jumbled mess that grief turns our minds into.  
Quote 0 0
balto_3
That is a wonderful idea you have. I also wanted to tell you how sorry i am to hear about your boy as well. I think getting out our feelings will help and focusing on the good times rather than the loss will truly help us in this hard time. I honestly believe that though they are physically gone, they are still with us in our hearts. 
Ryan
Quote 0 0
Tiger07
most definitely always with us in our hearts. and memories never die.  we are have suffered trauma and need to heal, which we will, hopefully every day will be a little less raw 
Quote 0 0
balto_3
Just dont be hard on yourself for the tough decision you had to make. It truly was the best decision you could have made for your buddy. And I believe we both will see our friends again someday. 
Ryan
Quote 0 0
Iwalt22
I don't know what is more difficult, losing your friend suddenly with no warning or knowing they will pass and watching them slowly deteriorate.

I was completely unprepared for my Apollo to pass 3 weeks ago. He had spent the week with his brothers at an open pen kennel. I have the pictures of him playing and eating snacks. When I went to pick him up he collapsed. He died shortly after we arrived to the vet.

As I go through this forum I see many with similar experiences. Apollo showed no signs of health issues. It may have been a blood clot or Addison's.

It has become easier with time. I choose to remember the good times, however short they were, and the amazingly positive influence he had on my life.

I'm sure you have many happy memories with your pup too. My heart goes out to you and I hope you find peace in time.
Quote 0 0
balto_3
I agree, I dont think either way would be easier. I am sorry you lost your friend so fast as I did mine. I have been going back and forth with what could have caused this. He was perfectly fine early in the day. He laid next to me watching a movie and was as energetic as usually. He even wanted more hugs that day than usual. My dog learned how to jump up and put his paws around you when he wanted attention. But anyway it doesnt make sense and I am sure that you are beside yourself trying to understand why your beloved friend was taken to sudden. We may never know that answer, but I do believe that are lost friends would want us to find peace in the good memories and I am certain they passed knowing what love felt like. Many animals do not and for that we both can be thankful to have given them the love they deserved and received the love back from them as they wanted to show. We both will find peace in time. I am certainly here to  talk more if you would like. And that you for the kind words. 
Ryan
Quote 0 0