d2bnorman
Hello, I'm new here but feel I need to talk with people that hopefully understand what I am going through. I brought Dozer home when he was 7 weeks old, a beautiful brindle English Bulldog. He has been the most loyal, loving unconditionally, understanding dog I have owned. We have had 5 bulldogs over the years which were all special, but Dozer would never want to leave my side, he always wanted to be with me and was content just to be near me. 
He has slowly declined over the years with arthritis and recently could not keep food down and appeared to be in pain, with heavy labored breathing, I even took to carrying him up the stairs so he wouldn't have to struggle with them. I made the gut-wrenching decision to put him to sleep 2 days ago and am having a very hard time dealing with it, I miss him so much and just want him back so I can hug him again and let him know he is loved. I held his head close and kissed him as he took his last breaths, I will pick up his ashes tomorrow at the clinic. I wouldn't trade the last 11+ years with him for anything. I thought I was a pretty mature 64 y.o. man but this has shaken me and I am crying in waves as his memories come back to me, God I miss him! Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.
D Norman
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Daniel,

I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet, loyal Dozer. Clearly you and Dozer had a special bond and friendship. It is so difficult to make that final decision for our much loved pets, but we do it out of love to end their suffering.

I believe that animals can reach a part of our hearts that nobody else does. And when they are gone it is heartbreaking.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
njzip
Very sorry about your good friend. It takes a lot of time to get over the loss of a good buddy. I lost my dog on October 22 and I am still sick about it. Each dog is an individual. When they pass it hurts. You see your friend again someday. Believe me I know how you feel and I hope things get better for you.
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
So sorry. I know how you feel. My dog passed away in September. She was going to be 18. It is very hard. She was my life.

Michele
Quote 0 0
Rebbecca
We too had to put our girl to sleep. We were able to do it here at home. She was almost 13 and I can honestly say, she was, as I’m finding out now a huge part of our lives, our days, our decisions.
I find myself laughing and crying at the same time.
She’s only been gone for 3 days now
Quote 0 0
BlackPaws

Dear Daniel

Sorry for your loss, Dozer was denfinetly a great dog and friend. Recently i loss my dear cat, i cried a lot for him, missing my buddy so much. I empathize with your feelings, sometimes i feel like there is a void in me. But remembering happy times with my buddy gives me a little strenght to stop feeling awful, our dear friends and companions will always be in our hearts. I hope keeping that on your mind could help you get through your loss.

Thank you for sharing and i sincerely hope you can get better.

Chewie
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Daniel:

I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my beloved dog in September and can't stop grieving. She was such a big part of my life. I miss her so much. You did the right thing by coming here. We all understand. Let the tears flow. That is a very healthy response and has nothing to do with maturity. You were a great pet person and Dozer loved you dearly.
Please post here often - it can help.

My condolences,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Deebee58
So sorry to hear about Dozer. I lost my beautiful Staffordshire bull terrier Sassy 8 months ago and although the pain dies ease I am still given to breaking down and crying from time to time but not 4 orc5 times daily as I was to start with.
I thought I would never get another dog it somehow felt disloyal to her but I couldn't stand the quiet in the house any longer so 4 months ago I got Jasoer, a rescued Staffy cross, he will never replace Sassy and I will never forget her but he needed a home and I needed to try and move on.
It is probably too soon for you just now but in 3 or 4 months time you may feel you are ready to love another dog.
Good luck.
D a bryce
Quote 0 0
ShadowDad
Daniel, grief knows no age limit. I am 58 and lost the love of my life a month ago-my beloved Shadow. The loss of my beautiful girl has shaken my life down to the foundation. She was my life and I loved for her. I am so sorry for your loss, and I understand your pain. This is the worst pain anyone can imagine. It is akin to losing a child. It will take time and lots of support. Know that there are people like us out here who are sharing your pain. Seek out loved ones who can help. It is so painful. Prayers my friend.
Quote 0 0