DonnaM
I don't know what to say.  So much pain.  He was 16, died yesterday while being prepped for a routine dental cleaning so totally unexpected. Vet feels awful, he seems to have had some heart failure. He was sticking close to me and my husband these last few days. Maybe he knew?  We're so devastated.  Ernie has 2 brothers, Bob and Gus, also had routine dentals yesterday.  They came home without Ernie and are sad too.  Vet sending Ernie to our local university vet school / clinic to see if they can identity what happened.  Hurting so badly.

Here's a picture of my big sweet boy, lounging in the sun on the patio table last summer:

My Ernie.jpg 
DonnaM
Ernie in the Sky, With Diamonds

Quote 0 0
catiebee
What a darling boy! Donna, I am so, so sorry for your loss. The suddenness is such an awful shock. I'm sure it will take real time to absorb what has happened. I know the heartache and grief are just outrageous, especially the first few days.  I hope you will write all that you want or need to here. There is much warmth and understanding from the members. 

It's a long, painful journey and my heart goes out to you. Take good care of yourself while you're feeling so much raw pain.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
DonnaM
Thanks for your kind words. 

One thing that's difficult for me is I want to know if Ernie's OK, safe and loved wherever he's at.  If he's anywhere.  I know there are lots of opinions out there as to what happens to us and our furry friends after death, but I'm also a natural skeptic and have a hard time believing things I can't obviously see.  At the same time, I feel like maybe he's close by?   

What do people think?  It's like I need to have the kitty sneak up behind me with a 2x4 and hit me over the head with it, and say "Hey Mom!  I'm OK.  Really!".  I would give me such great comfort if I had confidence his little soul was nearby.    

DonnaM

Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
They are always with us, but especially when we need them. I believe we can see signs, if we look for them. And I definitely believe that we will see them again. Too many things have happened in my life to not believe. Ernie will always be with you in some way or another.
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
Dear Donna 

So sorry to read that you
have lost your Beloved
Cat Ernie.

Yet,we are here for you
having lost our Beloved
Pets too.

Quote 0 0
exburt
I would've liked to have a beer with Ernie.

Wherever he is now, I'm sure he's OK. 
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0
DonnaM
My dear exbert -- I think you may have just healed me.  I had many, many beers with Ernie.  So did my husband, friends and family.  He was always hanging out whether it was just me in the garden or Larry and I playing cards on the patio, or when we had parties or BBQs.  What a glorious, giant, furry, purring, hilarious blob of cat he was.  Thank you!
DonnaM

Quote 0 0
catiebee
Your post makes me smile. Ernie sounds like pure joy, pure sunshine. He must have been suuuch a character!!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
BuddyRo_and_PetieGirl_Mom
What a sweet and precious baby. I am so sorry that you lost him. We lost our Buddy almost two weeks ago, also unexpected, in fact, we were told he was getting better. I do understand the overwhelming pain. Just hold your family and your other pet babies close, and do all you can to take care of yourself. I will pray for you and your family. 
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Hi DonnaM,

I’m so sorry for your sudden loss. Ernie was a very beautiful cat. I hope you’re hanging in there, everything considered.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
exburt
Glad to be whatever help I could. Ernie just looks like a totally chill dude. 

After I saw your reply, I tilted a tall, cold IPA in his honor. 

Smooth travels, Ernie!
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0
DonnaM
Thanks everyone for your kindness and caring, it really helps.  exburt -- You have really made my laugh.  You pegged Ernie to a T with just one picture.

I recently bought a big orange and white stuffed kitty toy, will have him to keep me company like Ernie always did.  I'm sure once it gets warm and my husband and I start having beers on the patio again, my neighbors will think we're crazy having a big stuffed toy lounging with us.  But who cares.
DonnaM

Quote 0 0
catiebee
I know you miss him tons. I'd have loved to have met your Ernie boy! 

I think it's great you found the stuffed kitty in his honor. The neighbors can get their own!

Wishing you solace and peace....
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0