ppsbat
We have 14 and 1/2 years with Roscoe P. Coltrane our fabulous basset hound.  He was my constant companion and friend.  His health was failing so we decided it was time.  I took him to the vet this past Monday April 27th.  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.  He was our son's dog given as a gift to him by his sister but he moved away so we kept Roscoe.  Roscoe was there for us when we lost our six year old grandson two years ago.  Now our house seems so empty.  A piece of me is gone and I cannot stop crying.  I feel guilty that I took him to the vet.  I know he would have died anyway but it is harder than anything I have ever done.  We had two other dogs before him that had to be put to sleep but I never cried like I have cried over Roscoe.  Maybe it is my age and all the losses I have seen in life but I am praying I can get over this.  Any suggestions?
ppsbat
Quote 0 0
MyBella
I am so sorry for the loss of your grandson and your Roscoe. I understand completely the feeling of emptiness you are experiencing with the loss of your constant companion, it is so painful.
Grieve for as long as you need and visit this forum often, hopefully by sharing with others, your pain can be somewhat eased over time.
I am truly sorry for your losses.

Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
ppsbat
Thank you so much.  I do appreciate your words of comfort and understanding.  I have heard from others that I should get another dog right away to fill the empty spot.  Is that a good idea?
ppsbat
Quote 0 0
Manjack
Ppsbat please accept my condolences on your losses. Our family lost an 11 year old boy not that long ago and we euthanized our beloved dog just over 2 weeks ago. So I know the pain you are feeling. Please don't feel guilty that you took him to the vet. As I said in another post that was your last gift to him. We have to make the tough decisions as the adults in the partnership. 2 weeks ago I thought Iwas losing my mind. I could not sleep, eat and I cried non stop. Then I found this forum. It helped me express my feelings with no judgement. I think the deep grief you are feeling is a measure of the depth of love you have for him.
There is no getting "over" this. We just learn to go on. Life has changed forever for us. In time the memories that make you cry today will make you smile. We are just not there yet.
As for another dog you are the only person who can decide if that is right for you. Most people suggest that you take the time to mourn and grieve your loss do that if you decide to get another pet you can give it the time and attention it deserves and not see it as a replacement. Again it depends on the person and you make that choice.
Know you are not alone. We are here for you. We share your pain. We understand it and grieve with you.
Quote 0 0
MissingHula
Manjack- Your are right.  It does help to unload my pain on this forum.  My amazing angel, Hula, dies on Sunday and I am still crying on and off unconsolably.  It just hurts so bad.  Coming home from work today (I thought I was getting better) and not seeing her sweet face looking at me thru the window just started me bawling again.  I loved her so much. I got on this forum and it has calmed me down a bit.  I am just so sad.
Quote 0 0
ppsbat
I want to thank you Manjack for your encouraging and understanding words.  Yes, we need one another when we have lost a pet for certain.  And you made a lot of sense when you said that someone had to be the adult in the partnership and make the decision when it was time.  That helps to have affirmation.

MissingHula...thank you for replying as well.  I certainly understand how you feel when you come home from work and do not find your precious fur baby waiting for you.  I feel the same way.  Often on the drive home this week, I have begun to cry as I turn the corner to get home.  I know my Roscoe won't be waiting for me.  He followed me everywhere I went in the house and it was a great companionship we had.  I think that is why we are grieving the loss so much.  We loved our babies!!!  As we all help each other, we will be helping ourselves as well.  Time will bring healing.  Just hard right now.
ppsbat
Quote 0 0
Manjack
Ppsbat I wonder how you are doing today.
If I have learned anything from this experience it is that we have to take it one day at a time. Just yesterday I went to work and coped quite well but when I turned into the driveway and there was no little head in the window waiting for me I completely lost it.
So expect to have these moments of grief that hit suddenly.
On the other hand take courage in that old expression "it takes time". As we approach the 3 week milestone of our loss the crying spells are probably as frequent but they don't last as long. It will take some getting used to, all those little rituals that are no longer part of our everyday lives. There will be a new normal.
I keep telling myself that I would not want Oreo to have lived longer in the shape that he was. It would have been cruel of me to keep him alive, an emaciated skeleton of his former self who was too weak to climb a step.
Some of the things I have done to try and grieve in a healthy way are:
I told Oreo's story to two of my best friends. I talked and cried, and talked and cried some more. They listened without judgement and encouraged me to cry and let it all out. That was very therapeutic.
I wrote a journal about how he came to us, about his life with us, his likes and dislikes , his habits, how much happiness he brought us as well as his illness and death. I plan to add pictures to this little journal and keep it with his urn.
I have a locket with some of his ashes that I wear close to my heart.
I have not yet done this but I intend to make a financial donation to the local SPCA (no kill) shelter.
Everybody grieves in their own way. I just thought that I would offer some ideas that helped me. Week 3 is easier than week 1 so take courage from that.
My locket says "forever in my heart"
Quote 0 0
bullymomma
I also lost my dog this past monday! The pain is indescribable. I hope that his memories are enough to keep you at peace. My thoughts are with you!
I love my dear sweet babies! <3
Quote 0 0
mybaby1robert
Loss of that special bond is so devastating.  The loss of a precious creature of God and the loss of a child is just almost more then I can fathom.  I just hope all of these very kind people at this site can help you.  They have helped me.  May you find peace friend.
Quote 0 0