jaxdoxiecrazy
Lost my sweet 7 year old Dachshund, Arnie, on Monday. He had been quite ill for over a month, saw his vet on May 27 and placed on 4 scripts. By Sunday, he was so ill we had to go to an emergency clinic. Stayed overnight, as he had exploratory surgery Monday; he was full of stomach cancer and had to be euthanized.

Although I did everything I could for him, the sudden decision has broken my heart. I didn't even get to say goodbye, as he was on the operating table when vet called with the terrible news. When will this pain go away??

pup2.jpg
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
I lost my 8 year old Ebby (see Ebby's story if you want) about a month ago.  She was perfectly fine on Monday, pretty listless on Tuesday morning and was diagnosed with severe anemia.  Between Tuesday and Thursday she had several vet visits, a night at the emergency vet, 3 blood transfusions and a trip to a specialty clinic.  By Thursday morning her hematocrit was down to 7%, she was vomiting, having trouble breathing and not very responsive.  I made the decision to have her put down because the vet said she doubted she would survive, and I couldn't stand to see her so miserable.  It's been one month and I still cry at least once a day.  I miss her terribly and although I know I did the right thing, there's this huge hole in my heart.

Arnie is a beautiful dog (a face anyone would love) - and I know how you feel, he was only 7!!  It doesn't seem fair - and the pain won't go away overnight.  I have found this site very helpful, depended on it a lot the first couple of weeks.  I don't check it quite as often now, and am starting to feel like doing a few things around the yard (we also have 2 other dogs) - the the hole is still there.  I hate to even wash her dog bed - feels too final...

My thoughts are with you.  You truly did everything you could for him - doesn't make it any easier, but I hope you really believe that.  It was kinder to have him euthanized while he was already sedated, than to bring him back to say 'good-bye'.  Hugs to you!
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0
Manjack
what a beautiful picture of your Arnie.
We unfortunately share a common diagnosis. My dog was too weak for surgery but the vet performed an autopsy and suspects stomach cancer.
Something else we share is a broken heart.
You are right, you did everything you could as we did but euthanasia was our choice too. Our last gift to them.
However we are left with the pain and heartache of our losses. I lost my dog almost 9 weeks ago.
It does get better with time but I still have a long way to go.
The first weeks are really tough. I spent them sobbing and crying for hours at a time. As the weeks progress the desperation and panic subsides to be replaced by sadness and loneliness.
I cry multiple times per day but the bouts last minutes instead of hours. Sometimes the tears just erupt.
All of us here at the forum share a common bond, we have loved and lost. I have found the people to be kind and compassionate and they gave me an outlet in the early days when I thought I was losing my mind. I still visit daily.
I am still waiting for the pain to go away. However from the reading I have done I do believe that one day I will smile rather than cry when I remember our time together. I wish that for you too. Some of us are further along the road than others in our grief journey but know that there is support here and people who understand exactly how you are feeling today.
Quote 0 0
Bendigd
I'm so sorry about your precious Arnie. I am not sure how we ever go on after we lose part of ourselves.
My sweet boston terrier, Elphaba, was attacked by another dog. She died a day later. She was only 8 and it was so sudden.
Sometimes I can't breathe. I want to scream and I know you must feel the same.
You were strong and brave for Arnie and gave him the peace he deserved.
I love this site because we can help each other as we grieve.
Quote 0 0
jaxdoxiecrazy
ebbsmom wrote:
I lost my 8 year old Ebby (see Ebby's story if you want) about a month ago.  She was perfectly fine on Monday, pretty listless on Tuesday morning and was diagnosed with severe anemia.  Between Tuesday and Thursday she had several vet visits, a night at the emergency vet, 3 blood transfusions and a trip to a specialty clinic.  By Thursday morning her hematocrit was down to 7%, she was vomiting, having trouble breathing and not very responsive.  I made the decision to have her put down because the vet said she doubted she would survive, and I couldn't stand to see her so miserable.  It's been one month and I still cry at least once a day.  I miss her terribly and although I know I did the right thing, there's this huge hole in my heart.

Arnie is a beautiful dog (a face anyone would love) - and I know how you feel, he was only 7!!  It doesn't seem fair - and the pain won't go away overnight.  I have found this site very helpful, depended on it a lot the first couple of weeks.  I don't check it quite as often now, and am starting to feel like doing a few things around the yard (we also have 2 other dogs) - the the hole is still there.  I hate to even wash her dog bed - feels too final...

My thoughts are with you.  You truly did everything you could for him - doesn't make it any easier, but I hope you really believe that.  It was kinder to have him euthanized while he was already sedated, than to bring him back to say 'good-bye'.  Hugs to you!
Quote 0 0
jaxdoxiecrazy
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story with me. My personal vet has requested all records from the emergency clinic's vet... not that there's anything that can be done now... but to give us both peace of mind that everything possible was done.

May God bless you for reaching out to those of us who are suffering so much.

Have a blessed day!

PS: I'm new to this site so I'm hoping I posted my reply in the appropriate place! :)
Quote 0 0
jaxdoxiecrazy
Bendigd wrote:
I'm so sorry about your precious Arnie. I am not sure how we ever go on after we lose part of ourselves. My sweet boston terrier, Elphaba, was attacked by another dog. She died a day later. She was only 8 and it was so sudden. Sometimes I can't breathe. I want to scream and I know you must feel the same. You were strong and brave for Arnie and gave him the peace he deserved. I love this site because we can help each other as we grieve.
Quote 0 0
jaxdoxiecrazy
Thank you so very much... this has been so difficult. When I leave work and go home, everything seems to be screaming... "Where's Arnie??" ... his bed, blankie, water bowl... and his furbaby sister, Abby, and brother, Armando. They KNOW he's gone. I seem to be hugging them and hanging onto to them a little tighter!

But, "this, too, shall pass" in due time.

Your words of encouragement have lessened the burden a bit. Thank you!
Quote 0 0
patriciak8
Im so sorry for your loss..I just lost my puppy this morning to Parvo...I can barely see from all the tear..Im deeply devasted..she was so young(only four months)..but she had the biggest heart I've ever seen..My reality now is such a mess cause people dont understand why her loss is a big deal for me..reading other people's story helps know that I am not alone.Its sad that we have to go through this..I personally cant understand it.I hope it gets better cause for now i feel like i cant take it.
Again I'm sorry for your loss.I hope you find comfort soon.
Mama loni
Quote 0 0