Dom
Howdy, I lost my WGSD last Sunday.  We are going through the grieving process as "normal" as can be expected.  

My concern in this post is not for us, but our lost Apollo's pack brother, Trajan.  Just to clarify the situation these were both intact male White German Shepherd Dogs.  They were introduced late in life and I was told I was stupid to introduce two intact males.  I probably was, but to make a long story short they became very close brothers.

Apollo was the alpha, and so was extremely important in Trajan's life, understanding pack behavior.  I don't know if Trajan witnessed Apollo's death, but he certainly saw Apollo's remains, as we all did.  

Trajan doesn't eat on his own now.  We can hand feed him and he can finish his bowl, but only if we hand feed him.  Sure the dog trainer in me says leave him alone and he will get hungry and eat, but that's not all.

Trajan lays down at the spot Apollo expired.  I can understand that, German Shepherds are loyal.  But I'm worried he is depressed and will get sick.    

I would like some input on Trajan's health.  I could contact the vet, the but they haven't even contacted me with condolences on Apollo's death....and this is a reputable hospital...Alameda East VCA which was featured on Animal Planet.

Trajan isn't in any danger yet and maybe he'll be ok soon, but I'd appreciate any help for a grieving dog, especially from someone who has gone through this with multiple dogs.  It's the first time for me.  Thanks.

Quote 0 0
Jessa
Hi,

Firstly I am so very sorry for your loss.. Losing a pet is never easy..

I remember when my Dads border collie passed away.. My little Maltese sat on her grave everyday for weeks. She seemed so sad and lonely.

My parents eventually got another dog which really helped Maddie (the Maltese).

That being said, these were desexed girls..

I'm not sure if that helps or not..
Quote 0 0
camunki
so sorry for the loss of your Apollo....and i am sure Trajan is grieving along with your family members.

I lost 2 dogs this year, and thankfully have one left, and she (Jemma) gets sad, we give her comfort, extra love and let her know that she is so important. You are doing all the right things for Trajan, maybe take him out for extra walks, or car rides or whatever it is that he likes to do....and hand feeding is ok, as long as he is eating.

I wish i could give more input....sending you supportive hugs....

Cam

Quote 0 0
rachbu
My kitty lost his sister (not littermate, but the companion kitty he's had for his entire life) on Monday.

He keeps sniffing at the blankies she used in her final days, and stands in the closet where she slept when she needed to hide in the dark.

My baby boy has a heart murmur which was just diagnosed when he saw his sissy die.

I'm extremely worried.

He has only known life with another cat, but I don't know how I'll know when he's ready for me to get him a new companion.  I'm scared the companion will need more attention from me than Cuddy did and he'll feel like his mommy doesn't love him even though the new companion would be for him too.  I don't know if i should get a baby kitten or a cat who is a few years old.  I just want my Moe Moe to be happy again, and I know right now he is just as lost and sad as I am.

Please know you are not alone.
Rachel (Cuddles's mommy)
Quote 0 0
Dom
Thank you rachbu.  So, so sorry to hear your baby Moe has a heart murmur and I'll pray it's not serious.

I have lost 2 cats, and for one of them we did go out and get a new kitty right away.  For us, it helped ease the pain, taking care of a kitten again.  We still have that kitty, she was Apollo's little buddy.  It's a hard decision though, and depends a lot I think on Moe Moe's personality.   

For Apollo we will definitely not get another dog.  We have Trajan and know we will have to go through this pain again someday with him, and with our kitty.  We're not ready to take on that commitment right now.

We bought Trajan a ball.  Doesn't sound exciting but Apollo and Trajan couldn't have toys because they'd get aggressive with each other.  Trajan didn't quite know what to do with it but remembered how to play fetch.  We then went upstairs and he chewed on the ball for a bit, then went about other business.  After Trajan went to bed, I found he had left his ball where Apollo died.  A gift for his lost brother. 

Quote 0 0
Dom
Jessa wrote:
Hi, Firstly I am so very sorry for your loss.. Losing a pet is never easy.. I remember when my Dads border collie passed away.. My little Maltese sat on her grave everyday for weeks. She seemed so sad and lonely. My parents eventually got another dog which really helped Maddie (the Maltese). That being said, these were desexed girls.. I'm not sure if that helps or not..

Thank you Jessa.  That's how Trajan is, sad and lonely.  I don't think we will get another dog though.  We will devote our attention to Trajan for awhile at least.  Your post does help, it shows you are concerned enough to take the time to respond.  Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
Dom
camunki wrote:
so sorry for the loss of your Apollo....and i am sure Trajan is grieving along with your family members.

I lost 2 dogs this year, and thankfully have one left, and she (Jemma) gets sad, we give her comfort, extra love and let her know that she is so important. You are doing all the right things for Trajan, maybe take him out for extra walks, or car rides or whatever it is that he likes to do....and hand feeding is ok, as long as he is eating.

I wish i could give more input....sending you supportive hugs....

Thanks camunki.  Wow 2 dogs in one year, I'm so sorry and my heart goes out to you.  It's so hard losing just 1.  Thank you for your advice, that's what we do with Trajan, give him extra love and hugs and do more things with him.
Quote 0 0
CKMP
I understand your worry and concern Dom - we had two sisters - litter mates and have just said goodby to one in March.  While I am still grieving deeply, our little girl seems to have worked through her loss as well a bit better than her humans.  For quite a while she was very subdued and very quiet - I would say 3 or 4 weeks and her appetite was smaller than normal.  Just yesterday  which means it is two months and many days since we have been without her sister, she played with us - running around the house been chased by us as she used to be chased by her sister.  We did what others have suggested: lots and lots of extra
time, care and attention; maintenance of some old routines she once shared with her sister and the introduction of some new ones just for her.  It is difficult and very worrisome - and I can see she still looks for her sister in the old favourite chair and outside spots.  I can see too when it is a very difficult day emotionally for me she is also 'down in the dumps'.  Emotions are so
raw and so intense it spills over into extra worry about her - as the remaining companion we do not want anything to happen to her now.  You are not alone in the concerns, apprehensions and grief.  
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I'm sorry for your loss.  I lost two dogs in March.  Eddie a German Shepherd mix and Henry a Rottweiler.  Chewy, my schnoodle was especially close with Eddie.  Eddie's death was unexpected and so Chewy never saw him dead nor I think did he sense any sickness in Eddie.  Chewy was SO DEPRESSED, so was I so we both slept most of the time but I started to notice Chewy wasn't eating, didn't care about his walks and slept on Eddie's bed, which he NEVER did.  He spent a lot of time on Eddie's bed staring at the wall.  I was very concerned and my vet said he was depressed.  I did get another dog just because Chewy has always had other dogs and I thought this would be good for him. He is eating now because he doesn't want the new dog to eat his food and he shows a bit more interest in squirrels in the backyard because the new dog is chasing them.....it is so hard when they don't understand.  I do think that your dog knows Apollo is gone is good for him.  Maybe just time.

All that said, if you don't want to get another dog just yet, in the past when I've had two dogs and one passed, and the remaining dog was depressed I took him to the dog park often and this seemed to help.

Good luck.
Sue E
Quote 0 0