grievingcatdad Show full post »
Poofsmom
I am so sorry for your loss and what you went through.
I also apologize for an earlier post that somehow ended up on your thread instead of mine.
I totally understand how you are feeling, although our experience was not as rough as what you went through.
Please don’t beat yourself up over it. You loved your baby, which is obvious, and there are so many that don’t have that in their lives.
This is so painful, but I think that’s what happens when we really love, and I’m just now thinking that as bad as it is, I those precious years make it all worth it.
I hope you have some peace soon.
Quote 0 0
Sue1097
grievingcatdad I am so sorry you had to go through that. And I am so sorry for your loss! I had similar happen to my Draco kitty a little over a year ago. He had stage 4 kidney disease/failure and quit eating, drinking water, was trying to hide (which he never did), and was severely constipated. He was telling me it was time. I had insurance on him and even tried to get a kidney transplant for him before he got to stage 4, but they quit doing them in CA., in 2009 after 400 successful cases. Do not blame yourself for this. I went through that too. I was giving him sub q fluids and he still got badly dehydrated. On his last night, he yowled in pain. In the morning he would not even look me in the eyes, which was not like him at all. I took him to my vet. They did the IV procedure. That being said, I couldn't understand why my vet couldn't give him fluids to see if it helped. She claimed it would not make a difference. How do they know that unless they try? And what would it hurt to try? I have asked this question over and over. But I have to remember that he told me it was time, even though I didn't want it to be. He was 13. I did tell him this was not goodbye, but see you later. She used anesthesia first to knock him out. Then she gave him the other med. It appeared quick and painless for him. I will never ever forget that day. I think it's normal to feel like we killed our kitties, when in reality we saved them from a horrible, painful way to go. Don't blame yourself for this. Reason I say this is because it's what I have done. But I also need to remember I tried to do everything I could for him. He helped me through hard times too, including several outpatient surgeries. He would not leave my side for 2 days with each surgery. He was my best friend. Grieving is normal. Let it happen. But remember you will see your fur baby again someday. I have never heard of the abdomen procedure. I would question your vet about that. Be firm and make sure you get an answer. Did they even try to do IV first? What is their reasoning? Did they mention that maybe she was so dehydrated they couldn't get a vein? To help me through this process, I had large pictures made of Draco and have them on my wall. I also set up a spot on my dresser with his toys, etc. It's a little memorial spot, but it helps. I also had him cremated, so he is still here with me. After researching foods for cats, it may have been caused by what I was feeding him. I have more cats and they are all now on grain free natural wet food. No more dry for my kitties. I changed the diet for my dog as well. I understand this could have been a genetic issue, but I'm not taking any chances again. Draco was a purebred Egyptian Mau and they are considered the oldest and healthiest cat breed. Reading others posts, it's normal to feel what you are feeling. After some time, you will start to remember the good times. I have video's of Draco sticking his paw in the water and licking the water off his paw. He wasn't watching what he was doing and missed the bowl once. He stopped and looked at it like he was saying: "What the heck?! Then he realized he missed the bowl and without hesitation continued what he was doing like he was saying: "I meant to do that!" I can now smile at that video. Our fur babies are so very special to us and yes, they are our best friends. Keep remembering that you will see her again someday and it will be a happy reunion. Draco will welcome her with open paws. He loved other kitties and always tried to be friends with them. 
Susan Walker
Quote 0 0
Jmtcn
I am so sorry you had to witness that. I put my 18 yr old cat down a month ago today. I wasn’t in the room with him. I just couldn’t do it. I watched 2 brothers and both my parents pass and the image still haunts me. I don’t regret not being in the room. I never could have handled it. It killed me putting my cat down. He was my best friend. He truly was. I feel so sorry for you. I can imagine all the images going through your mind. You loved your kitty and now the grief and guilt set in. Your baby is free from harm now and is at peace. It’s you who has to go through all the pain. My best wishes to you. I cry every day.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
You are right, grievingcatdad. I support you all the way.

This  stupid method of giving the sedative....is so wrong.

Why don't they locate a vein, put a port in, and then administer the sedative and eventually the final drug through the port???
To my way of seeing that is not rocket science, but very simple. It's said that once the sedative is injected, it can be hard to find a vein....etc What do they mean by that?

My dear Misty was so far gone she didn't need a sedative thank God. She passed in seconds from the final injection alone. It was that much of an emergency situation and I am grateful it was exceptionally peaceful considering what she'd been through.

But I had another dear dog put to sleep in 1999. And when the sedative was administered he yelped like crazy. It hurt!! The vet (kind and compassionate and in tears at the end like your vet was) -gave him the sedative shot into a muscle. That's the way they do it. My God that hurts! Ever had a shot into a muscle?
Why do they do that?

I have never witnessed an abdomen shot for the sedative.

I can understand in cases where the blood pressure is so low that the vet cannot locate a vein, and it is a crucial emergency situation. But otherwise it is wrong in my opinion. Very wrong.

I am so sorry for your loss. Bless her Soul. Where she is now, believe me -she is okay and still loves you very much indeed.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0