Shillingg30
On Tuesday, we had to put down our family dog of 14 years. My house feels so empty and my heart is broken. I am not sure how to recover and I don’t know how to express this overwhelming sadness. I feel so guilty and I wish we could’ve done more to heal her. I try to look at pictures and videos of her and think of all the good memories but nothing takes away the feeling of walking through the house and being reminded that she’s not about to turn the corner to see what you’re doing or just come to you to keep you company. I’m just not sure how to heal from this. 
Quote 0 0
ClaudiaNY
I hear you, and I am feeling a similar pain and sadness over the loss of my beloved cat. I had to make the difficult decision to have her euthanized at the end of January. I don't know how to heal, either, but I just finally put up some pictures on my instagram and when I feel up to it, I am going to try to make a photo collage online also. There is nothing like the unconditional love of an animal. I am sorry that you feel guilty. You obviously loved her and did what you thought was best. I knew my cat was suffering and my vet, who had kept her alive for 3 years with advanced renal failure, told me it was time about 3 weeks before I actually made the decision. I felt guilty that I may have waited too long and caused her more suffering than she should have had to endure. So I think either way there is guilt - too soon/too late. I felt like I had kept her alive selfishly for at least a week longer than I should have. But I know she forgave me, and I have tried to reduce my feelings of guilt. I'm sure your pup knew you were helping her so she wouldn't have to live with pain. I'm so sorry for your loss. All we can do is allow ourselves the space to grieve.
Quote 0 0
Shillingg30
Claudia, I am so sorry about your baby as well. It’s such a heart wrenching decision. I’m sure your girl enjoyed every single extra moment with you. I send you good thoughts and appreciate yours as well. I think a photo collage is a wonderful idea by the way, you get a chance to revisit a different memory with each picture. 
Quote 0 0
ClaudiaNY
Thank you for your kind reply. Sending you good thoughts as well.
Quote 1 0
Shillingg30
We picked up her ashes today. There’s a certain feeling of calm to know that she’s back home where she belongs, but the heartbreak today just reverted back to the first day we lost her as reality also set in. Does anyone have advice or recommendations on ways to honor your pup correctly without feeling overwhelmed?
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Dear Shillingg30,

I am sorry to read of your loss of your beloved dog.

Many here have little memorials in their homes as you may have seen. There are various threads with photos of different memorials that will give you some ideas. Pet parents place the ashes of their beloved(s) next to a photo or photos, adjacent a candle (at times an electronic candle) and their pets toys, or collar or leash or other mementos. Their favorite things etc.

I still speak to my boys ashes every single morning and at night. It comforts me. I greet him whenever I return. I tell him about my day. The little lock on the cedar box that contains his ashes is the last thing that I see each evening when I go to sleep. It's image, gleaming in the prior light is imprinted on my eyes in the darkness before I pray for my beloved's spirit / soul to be watched over.

When it comes to our beloved's ashes. To me they are sacred. Holy. Mystical. As you may know, we are all made up of stardust. All living things on our Earth are made up of carbon. Carbon from stars that exploded 4.5 BILLION years ago. This includes you and your dog that departed. So that also means that your dogs ashes, are the ashes of stars. What could be more fitting? considering how bright and precious your pup was to you?

Kind regards and my sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
Shillingg30
James, what an absolutely beautiful post and I can't thank you enough for your words.  I am so sorry for your loss as well and I send you hugs through your time of healing. We were able to get a little frame with her name and a clay paw print. We are still working out what picture to choose as between all of us we had about a million lol. Her ashes right now are sitting in a mantel in the entry of our house and though it's so hard to not see her in the way i saw and loved her for 14 years, there's a sense of peace now that she's home with us, where she belongs. These last 2 days I've been able to say good morning and goodnight and not feel as much of an emptiness as i did the first 10 days without her. Thank you again for your kind words and I know your boy is so happy that you're keeping him so close and so involved. It's important that we remember and love them.
Quote 0 0