kate007
Hi everyone - I've only just joined this forum and am so glad to have found it. For the past year we have been looking after our friend's little dog as they had to move suddenly and were unable to have him for a while. Last week, on Wednesday, his owner came and collected him - and it was a happy/sad occasion. The little pup was so happy to see his owner, but of course we were sad that he was leaving us. I cried, but we knew we would see him again in a few weeks.

On Monday my husband got a phone call from the owner to say that the dog had died - he had got into their pool and drowned. It was a complete accident and none of us can work out how he got into the enclosure - it is fully fenced so he should not have been able to get in.

I think I've been in disbelief for the past few days, but today I can't seem to stop crying. He is continuously on my mind and I see him everywhere. All his funny little traits and his silliness. He was only 10 years old and he should have lived for so much longer. I feel devastated for his family - which includes children - as they were so excited to have him home again and only a few days later he was gone

I know I'm grieving - it's also bringing up the loss of our GSP two years' ago to cancer (he was 9) and our cat a year ago last May. 

I guess I just want to know that my feelings are normal. I've been so angry I want to smash something, I've cried my eyes out, I've felt almost okay, I've felt guilty about not walking him more when he was here. 

I loved him so much - still do. 

How can I move through this? I wasn't his owner, but I loved him. 

We have our own dog - and I know he is confused - his little mate has gone and his Mum is upset. I've been giving him lots of cuddles and walks, but he is worried. I don't want him to be.

I don't really know what else to say.

Thanks for reading this.

Kate

Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Kate, isn't it amazing how much you grew to love this dog after just a year?? Gosh, they have such a way of burrowing deep into our hearts! It sure sounds like this pup was extremely lucky to have you and your family caring for it over the past year. I'm sorry I don't really have any words of advice or comfort, i'm really struggling myself. Tomorrow will be one week without my Rookie.... his ashes came home to me this past Tuesday, and it's just so hard to comprehend he's gone. There's times where I literally feel like my brain isn't working normally! I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope tomorrow is a bit better for you. - Melissa
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
Kate, I'm sorry this happened to you. Accidents are so tough, as there is no warning and they're gone in an instant. He was very lucky to have your love and you were lucky to have him too. Guilt has an ugly way of always finding it's way into our minds. He loved you back for all the wonderful things you did for him. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but there just isn't. I pray you find peace and comfort in the memories you have of him. 
Quote 0 0