Robin2003 Show full post »
Robin2003
I think I've just realized what is bothering me so much, other than the obvious heartache, shock and sadness. The staff wants to just sweep it under the rug and say it's "one of those things" that is cautioned about on the form one signs. My daughter would never pursue legal action - it would be futile, anyway. But what is important is that the vets be able to convince us to the best of their ability that there was no mistake made and that if possible, it won't happen again - I don't know if this is asking too much or not". Maybe they can't know what exactly happened. I do think they should a agree to a meeting with all parties involved and explain things. It's just a matter of whether my daughter and her husband could face that or if it would be a productive step in their grieving process.
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
I agree. I think maybe it would be a good idea to sit down with the dvm(s) who did her surgery and talk to them. Hopefully that can help to answer questions about what may have gone wrong. Hugs <3
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
Robin2003
I took my other daughter's dog to his vet in the country yesterday. She is one of those vets we wish all vets were like - jolly, loving, down to earth. Sort of like James Herriot. She's not in the same area at all as the vet who did the spay, so I told her what had happened to get her take on the situation, She said that she had never lost a puppy during a spaying, but had lost a mother dog during a C section. She was an older mother and it had been an accidental pregnancy. The anesthesia combined with the stress on her heart caused her death. So she believed that in Annie's case, it was probably the anesthesia combined with a heart abnormality. Heart problems in dogs this young (six months are often undetectable), she said. She told me to express her condolences to my daughter - so kind! I think that this is what we have to believe - that it would have happened at any vet office and at any time she was spayed. That Nature decided what to do in this case. It is a consolation - it doesn't make missing Annie or being sad she only had those six months to live any easier - but it helps to think we know what happened. (I haven't told Annie's Mom, yet, about my conversation with the country vet - sometimes, it's hard to know what she wants to know and when.)
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Robin2003
I am so glad you found a vet to give you some insight and maybe some peace for the terrible and sad situation you and your daughter are going through.  Your kindness and compassion are so clear in your notes and I am so so sorry for the situation and the loss of a young life.  It is uncanny as you have let me know you have had a special Maggs in your life as I have and a special Annie, which I have as well.  [Annie was my mom's last companion]It is difficult to know what your daughter and son-in-law need to hear and when but from the notes you have sent me I can tell you know what and when to do the 'best' thing. . . You seem like an amazingly strong lady - 
I am beginning to believe, nothing is left to fate.  The new vet came at the right time and was the right messenger for Annie.  Take care.
Quote 0 0
Robin2003
Oh, What a wonderful thought, CKMP! I hadn't thought of it that way. I truly believe that we are guided in ways we don't understand and if we listen to those inner voices, we will receive the help we need.
Quote 0 0
AbbeysMom
Hugs and prayers to you and your loved ones. <3

-Abbey's Mom
Quote 0 0