rwilson724
I just had to have my nine year old Pomeranian mix euthanized yesterday. She had terminal kidney failure. The pain is overwhelming. I came in from work today and I miss her so much. How long will the pain last?
Quote 0 0
MissingClark
Hello,

I too just lost my pet last night and feel an overwhelming sense of grief.  I felt a little silly telling my coworkers I couldn't be there today because my cat died and I can't stop crying, but they were surprisingly understanding. I think many people have pets and really do know what its like. I also did some reading about pet-grief that has been helpful to reaffirm my very emotional response to this. Here is something I read that helped: http://www.petlosshelp.org/10commonquestions.html

Also talking to people has been helping. Keep posting here and let your friends and family know in person and on social media. 
Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
The pain won't last forever, but your memories of her will. I'll tell you a little bit about my story in the hopes that it will help you see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My big greyhound apparently had cancer, and I wrote the signs (mostly not eating as much) off because he has hated the past 2 summers because of the heat and always dropped weight, then put it back on in the fall. His body decided enough was enough and his immune system went haywire, destroying both his red blood cells and platelets. On Saturday afternoon when I brought him to the emergency vet, he had a 50/50 chance of survival, but by Sunday, it was down to about 5%. It broke my heart to make the call to put him down before his body completely gave out, but I could see that his liver was failing and his heart was starting to go, and I didn't want him to die scared and alone, so my other dog and I spent a few hours cuddling with him and then he didn't even have the energy to stay awake, so we called the vet and he had a quiet, peaceful passing. I didn't eat anything except the occasional slice of cheesecake for 3 days, and when I wasn't crying, I felt completely exhausted and numb. I work with kids, so I pasted on the world's fakest smile for them, but was relying on Klonopin to not be sobbing all day long. I did that for about 2 weeks, until I finally got the chance to talk to his emergency vet a few days ago, and he explained in detail what was happening with the big guy's body, and how he would have almost certainly died if I didn't let him go first. I am an incredibly private person, but I also have a couple of friends who love dogs as much as I do who were willing to text back and forth for hours listening to me talk about how my bubba would still be alive if I had caught the cancer sooner, and maybe I should have given him some more aggressive treatment, and how generally I didn't do right by him.

17 days out, the pain is starting to ease a bit. I don't wake up crying in the morning anymore, and I don't cry myself to sleep either. I tear up when I talk about him (as I'm doing now), but it's manageable. One thing that I did to help remind me to focus on the positive was to plant a container of grass in my front window, which is now holding the box with my buddy's ashes. That way, when I look at it, it is still sad, but I also know he is continuing his all-time favorite pastime of lying in the grass in the sun after a good romp. That way, there are some happy associations too. 

All this goes to say that the pain is not going to last forever. Eventually you will start to process your grief, and the good memories will start to seep back in. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0