Throck
We recently lost our pup Ralphie. He was 14. I am so tired of hearing that we were so fortunate to have him so long. It doesn’t help. The loss has left me with getting sick and upset stomach, and sobbing. He was our buddy. Always there to make things better. I am at a loss.
Quote 0 0
xxcesarxx
I lost my baby too, he was only 4. I always thought he'd leave me at 14 or so. But I understand how annoying it can be when people make comments to you about how "fortunate" you are. I get tired of people asking me if I'm going to get another dog. It is enraging! 14 years or 4 years , it doesn't make a difference dogs have short lives. I hope you feel better, it won't be an easy road. My condolences.
Quote 0 0
msweet13
I also lost my pup 6 weeks ago. He was 11.5 years old. I also heard that he lived as long as he did because of my care. Don't they realize that maybe I lived as long as I did because of his care?? I don't think that they mean to be insensitive. I think they are at a loss of what to say and rather than say nothing, they say things that they think mean something and try to give comfort, although very awkwardly. And odds are, they never lost a fur-baby. The one thing I have heard, especially soon after Brutus died was that "he was in a better place." The only anger I have ever felt since he died was when someone said that to me. What I was thinking, but did not say out loud was, since when is DEAD "a better place?? Where was I when that happened??" I know they were really trying to say that he is now out of pain and not suffering and maybe they were meaning heaven--they were trying to comfort me but did not know how to express it, especially because I was deeply in grief and feeling very very sad.

Throck -   I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Ralphie. As I said, sometimes people say stupid things but I do not think they mean any harm by them. They are just clueless as to the extent of your grief and feel compelled to say something to make you feel better although they fall very far from the mark.  Just take it for what it is worth. Only you know how you feel about your loss of your precious Ralphie and at some level you need to feel sorry for them and give them the benefit of the doubt. Hang in there. Please find comfort to know that everyone on this site has been in the same situation as you are only maybe the details are a little different. You are not alone and what you are feeling is normal. Losing a fur-baby is probably one of the hardest things to handle because of the unconditional love they give us and they are always there to make things feel better. I send you warm hugs and comfort and hope you spend some time on this site and visit some of the other posts here to see how others in a similar situation as yours talk about it--especially the responses from others who have been through it a little longer with helpful and hopeful words of comfort and healing.
Denise (Brutus' Mom)
Brutus von Dolce
06/19/2006 - 03/16/2018
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
Quote 0 0
Sooz
I am so sorry about Ralphie. I just lost my boy on Thursday, and haven't told anyone who isn't a pet person, because sometimes they just say the most stupid things!!! I find myself hyperventilating and so upset when the waves of grief hit, that it's all I can do to keep from vomiting, too (sorry, maybe tmi, but that how deeply upset I get). My heart breaks with yours.
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
Olgita256
I’m so sorry for everyone’s heartache. I lost my boy 6months ago and I’ve been told so many times how he lived a long time (15.5) years and I know they mean well but my pain is no different whether he lived 4 or 25 years...that bond...that love...it’s timeless! Sooz- my I understand how you feel. The first few weeks I felt as something was ripped out from me. I lost a good 15 lbs... I had to seek counseling... 6 months later I still cry once or twice a week. But time has helped. I used to not believe people when they said “I think about him everyday” but I’m here to tell you... there is not one single day that I don’t think about my sweet boy. We hurt much because we loved much. Prayers for everyone.
Quote 0 0
Sooz
I'm so sorry we all find ourselves dealing with this kind of loss, but am so glad for this site, and knowing that others understand! 
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0