wjson
Highly doubt any type of support or forum will ease the loss of my dog Maverick... It won't bring him back, nightmare will go on and on... Each day that passes without Maverick is worse than the day before... Maverick was the love of my life, my sunshine, the reason I got up every morning. Maverick simply made me a better person ! 

Maverick died in my arms 2weeks ago from cardiac arrest... My attempt to revive him CPR failed... I couldn't help him NOR could I get help to him. The last 2/3minutes of his life was horrifying, the yelping, collapsing, gasping,standing up & collapsing again. Maverick was terrified and confused I could not help him. This experience will haunt me for the rest of my life, I cannot escape it.

There is no 911 emergency assistance for our pets! Only humans have the luxury to "911" assistance. It's not fair, it's not right.

I had no clue Maverick heart was "enlarged" he never displayed any symptoms relating to heart failure. 30 seconds before he died he was happily playing / romping around with his toy. How could I not notice / seen "life threatening" health issue, am I that stupid?

Last May 2015, Maverick was diagnosed with Mass Cell Cancer a tumor developed under his chin it was surgically removed & 6 wks later a huge mass of tumors grew back. I immediately took him to an oncologist & was prescribed chemo medication "Palladia" (pills) and after six dosages the tumors were GONE! Maverick tolerated chemo exceptionally well never vomited or bowel potty issues. He did experience muscle soreness but it was resolved by reducing chemo dosage. 
Chemo medication, Palladia was very expensive $500.00 per month ! It was worth every penny his cancer was in "remission".

When he was diagnosed with cancer I quit my job, for the past 10 months we have been together literally 24/7. We were inseparable, if I couldn't bring Maverick I didn't go.

3 days prior to his death I noticed the color of eyes seemed lighter, kinda glossy. And the way he would look at me, was different. I sensed something was wrong, I felt it.  Sick dogs are not  energetic, great appetite, drinking water & tail wagging happy dog ! I don't understand, how I did not recognize the severity of his heart condition. 

I don't know how, ok I don't want go forward without Maverick, I need him in my life. OMG I can't do this....
wendy 
Quote 0 0
wjson
Lastly, Maverick was only 8yrs old... I possibly could justify his loss if he was older? I'm inconsolable I just picked his ashes today. If im able to sleep you can bet I'll be sleeping with his boxed ashed.

This is a nightmare right, SOMEONE PLEASE WAKE ME !
wendy 
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
oh honey I DO hope that being here with people who truly DO understand your pain will give you some comfort. I am so sorry you are going through this.  I understand not want to go on without Maverick, I feel the same way.

My little Beagle Molly very suddenly had a stoke at age 14 so I do know how fast these things can happen.  We took a walk in the morning and suddenly she started acting strange, rushed her to the Vet and she was frantic and blind, so we had no choice. That was last Thanksgiving.  Molly being older didn't help at all.  Of course I knew it was coming some day soon, but that didn't matter, she is gone and that is ALL that matters.  There is no way I can kiss that beautiful face and hold her sweet little body.  She loved everyone and didn't have a mean bone in her body, so you see we do understand how you are feeling

My life has forever changed.  Molly was my heart and soul, my constant companion.  this brief description I told you about is because I want you to know that I know exactly what you are going through and it is horrible.  I wish I could tell you it will all be ok soon, but that most likely won't happen either.

What I can tell you is that being on this site with other people who are so compassionate and caring will give you some comfort.  We are ALL willing to listen to whatever you say and offer any comfort possible.
Birthday photo.JPG 
janice
Quote 0 0
Baumert81
I understand how you feel. My bestfriend Hogan was hit by a car a little over a month ago and died in my arms. He wasn't even 8 years old yet. I replay that moment in my head every hour of the day. The first 2 weeks I was inconsolable! Now I feel the fog lifting and the grief becoming more bearable. Hang in there buddy! You gave maverick a wonderful life no matter how short. I wish I had more time with my pal also, but now I am grateful for the time we did spend together.
Hogans Daddy
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
wendy, i'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved maverick and I know how you feel over losing a loved friend suddenly from heart related issues.  I have been permanently disabled due to a failed spinal surgery from an auto accident since 2002 so I've had 2 service dogs to help offer me a better quality of life - goldie and recently, my sweet roxie.  goldie crossed the bridge dec 12, 2006 as a result of the contaminated pet food issue and roxie dec 26, 2015 when her heart suddenly stopped during the chest ultrasound.  goldie was 6 and roxie had just turned 9.  it is so hard when they don't show us they are hurting or when the passing happens too suddenly for us to really comprehend anything.  I still do not know how I managed to drive home that stormy night crying as I was other than to think an angel was with me in the car.  since January 21, 2007 roxie has been my rock and we went to obedience classes through advanced and by her first birthday she was assisting me as my service dog.  roxie even picked up on her own to alert me with one bark and her paw on my leg if I was getting upset which can lead into other issues from the accident; she looked after me and helped me up when my legs went numb and I fell; she was my constant companion and admittedly I took it for granted that I had many more years with her.  when our special friends are this close to our hearts it truly is devastating to us but I can now rejoice over the fact that I was chosen to take care of such a special soul and am filled with gratitude for roxie's help, especially in teaching me how to walk again with her and without the forearm crutches that I had to use.  at first after the fog began to lift I had no clue how I was going to manage without her and while I still should have a service dog...in roxie's honor and memory for all she brought me through, right now i'm trying to go it alone until I can't.  continue to talk to maverick as i'm sure his spirit is back with you and think of him across the bridge playing with all of our loved friends young, healthy and whole once more.  we all will see our friends again and hon, we're here for you!  many many hugs
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
camunki
Wendy, I am all too familiar with your story, i lost 2 of my Chinese Shar Pei's last year. One was 13 years 10 mos. (Munki) on 12/3/15 and my other was 9 y/o named Daizy on 1/2/15. ...they "both" had MCT in their lives........Munki , never had to have any chemo, she had "clean margins" but it was a high index cancer.......and she lived well 4 years over since her diagnosis. In the end, cancer spread to her lungs and she could not be saved. I had my last 6 days with her after the grim news. 

With Daizy, she had "dirty margins"..she was on Kinavet, another chemo pill from france, very expensive but it helped her live 2 years and 5 months of life.....then her cancer spread into many MCT"S they could not remove them cuz there were so many, then the cancer spread to her internal organs, her liver. I had exactly one month of life with her when i found out the devasating news, and her health declined.

You did everything you could for your beloved Maverick, and I feel your pain, 8 years to me seems young, as I lost my Daizy at 9 years and 3 weeks old. Did the vets ever see any heart problems in the past, any type????

The picture you have of your Maverick is beautiful......I know that I slept with my dogs collar at nite, the blanket she last layed on, anything for that "closeness"....please do what you have to, to feel the connection...........and please know you are not alone.

I love the Shar Pei breed and losing two of mine in 2015 was devasting..........my heart goes out to you

Cam

Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
I am so sorry for your loss of maverick. what a great picture. It is devastating to loose them . I had to put my beloved Sadie down on feb 18th due to renal failure. Try and take some comfort in knowing our babies are all playing together at the bridge. They are living life on their own terms free of pain and disease.
Wishing you peace and healing. You are not alone. We are all here for you.
Sending hugs
Tammy
Quote 0 0
maryellen1952

I adopted 3 adult Pekingese from a breeder who didn’t take the best care of them earlier in their life & after 4 years all of them died within the past year & all were less than 6 years old.  There are many of us who have felt the same as what you are now going through so just remember that It is normal to experience these emotions.

Everything you are experiencing is NORMAL & It will pass as you go through the process.  Just allow yourself to express your emotions and in the long run you will feel much better & you will then realize that you did everything you could & that now he is no longer suffering.

Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I'm so so sorry.  I feel your pain I really do.  I have the same feelings about my Eddie as he was fine one day and gone the next and I DIDN'T even know he was sick!!  He didn't act sick and then bam to the vet, surgery and died after surgery.  Heartbreaking, shock, guilt, deep loss. March 9th.  Then my 2nd dog, Henry, had to be put down March 31, more guilt of not knowing if I did the right thing.  I don't eat, can't sleep unless I take sleeping pills, which I have been doing just so I don't have to be awake without my pals.  I am so so sorry, please know we understand but there is nothing we can do but give support which has been helpful to me. All I want to do is google and talk about this in hopes that I get some peace that I did right by Henry and that he and Eddie will forgive me.  
Sue E
Quote 0 0
wjson
camunki wrote:
Wendy, I am all too familiar with your story, i lost 2 of my Chinese Shar Pei's last year. One was 13 years 10 mos. (Munki) on 12/3/15 and my other was 9 y/o named Daizy on 1/2/15. ...they "both" had MCT in their lives........Munki , never had to have any chemo, she had "clean margins" but it was a high index cancer.......and she lived well 4 years over since her diagnosis. In the end, cancer spread to her lungs and she could not be saved. I had my last 6 days with her after the grim news. 

With Daizy, she had "dirty margins"..she was on Kinavet, another chemo pill from france, very expensive but it helped her live 2 years and 5 months of life.....then her cancer spread into many MCT"S they could not remove them cuz there were so many, then the cancer spread to her internal organs, her liver. I had exactly one month of life with her when i found out the devasating news, and her health declined.

You did everything you could for your beloved Maverick, and I feel your pain, 8 years to me seems young, as I lost my Daizy at 9 years and 3 weeks old. Did the vets ever see any heart problems in the past, any type????

The picture you have of your Maverick is beautiful......I know that I slept with my dogs collar at nite, the blanket she last layed on, anything for that "closeness"....please do what you have to, to feel the connection...........and please know you are not alone.

I love the Shar Pei breed and losing two of mine in 2015 was devasting..........my heart goes out to you

wendy 
Quote 0 0
wjson
Beaglemomma wrote:
oh honey I DO hope that being here with people who truly DO understand your pain will give you some comfort. I am so sorry you are going through this.  I understand not want to go on without Maverick, I feel the same way.

My little Beagle Molly very suddenly had a stoke at age 14 so I do know how fast these things can happen.  We took a walk in the morning and suddenly she started acting strange, rushed her to the Vet and she was frantic and blind, so we had no choice. That was last Thanksgiving.  Molly being older didn't help at all.  Of course I knew it was coming some day soon, but that didn't matter, she is gone and that is ALL that matters.  There is no way I can kiss that beautiful face and hold her sweet little body.  She loved everyone and didn't have a mean bone in her body, so you see we do understand how you are feeling

My life has forever changed.  Molly was my heart and soul, my constant companion.  this brief description I told you about is because I want you to know that I know exactly what you are going through and it is horrible.  I wish I could tell you it will all be ok soon, but that most likely won't happen either.

What I can tell you is that being on this site with other people who are so compassionate and caring will give you some comfort.  We are ALL willing to listen to whatever you say and offer any comfort possible.
Birthday photo.JPG 

Hi Janice, thank you for the kind words and sharing the loss of your loved one Molly. Wow Molly's pic is quite beautiful, I found it hard to close & look away from. She and Maverick share the same "eyes" oh my those eyes... eye's that touch you in ways you cannot describe. Im so sorry for your sudden loss & horrifying experience. The word "sorry" seems so inadequate. 

As you related about Molly loving everyone & everyone loving her. Maverick gave & received love the same way, people were naturally drawn to him and he knew it. Maverick got more Christmas Cards than I did, allot more. Quite comical & heartwarming going to the mail box finding mail addressed to him.

You are right about people here, they're overwhelming pain to their pet loss is heartbreaking.

I truly, truly admire their strengths and their beliefs, which I don't have.

**** Mavey OMG.jpg 
wendy 
Quote 0 0