Toulajit
Hello everyone.

I am going through a terrible time.
My boyfriend and I rescued a pregnant cat from the streets, about 5 months ago. She gave birth to 4 kittens and we were able to find homes for her and 2 of her kittens. We still had 2 that we were trying to find homes for but I fell in love with one of them that I named Darla.
I lost a 4.5 year old cat in May named Lulu and I swear Darla was Lulu reincarnated...it was just crazy how much Darla reminded me of Lulu.
We went away for a couple of days for Thanksgiving. The kittens were in the garage with plenty of food, water and warmth. We have 2 cats of our own, Loki and Zorn. Loki has cancer and he gets stressed out very easily so we are keeping them separated.
We got home saturday evening and they were all so excited to see us. We let the kittens out to run around as we always do in our fenced in backyard. At one point while I was sitting on the couch I heard a thud on the door put it was too loud to have come from a kitten. I don't know why I didn't check to see if the kittens were ok. I figured they were playing and something got knocked into the door.
When I went to check on them a little later, Socks was sleeping on top of a cabinet like he always does but Darla was missing. I started calling out for her and didn't hear or see her anywhere. I stayed up until 3am looking for her and calling out for her.
I finally went to bed thinking maybe she will show up in the morning like her mom used to do.
When she didn't show up in the morning, I had my boyfriend go to the neigbors to see if she was in their backyard.
My worst nightmare came true. They said they found her dead in the early morning in their backyard and that their dogs had killed her.
Apparently one of the dogs had dug a hole under the fence that none of us knew about.
My heart broke into tiny pieces and I can't seem to get it together.
Just hours before she went missing in the car ride home I was telling my boyfried how thankful I was that I felt God had brought Lulu back to me in the form of this little Darla darling kitten.
I feel so responsible. So confused, hurt and angry. Maybe if I had checked where that noise came from I could've saved her life.
This is so hard.
Quote 0 0
MyBella
Hi Toula,

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet adorable Darla, such a cute photo of your sweet girl.
Such a horrific way for you to lose Darla, so sad.
Sending our most positive healing thoughts your way. May the love of your sweet girl always be felt so deeply in your heart, bringing with her love, the peace and healing your heart deserves and desires.

Sincerely, Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Darla is adorable! I'm so sorry you lost her so young under such awful circumstances. Please don't blame yourself, which is easier said than done as I've been there many times. Sometimes we think we've got everything under control but then life kicks us in the rump. It's not fair and it's a terrible situation. You were trying to provide both the kittens and your Loki with the best care possible. And just know that without you, none of these sweet souls would have survived at all. God bless you for taking in the mama cat and for caring so much about Loki as well. Don't add guilt to grief.
Blessings to you at this hard time 🐺❤
Quote 0 0
Toulajit
I thank you both very much. This is exactly what I needed to see today. ❤
Quote 1 0
Marie123
You're so welcome, Toulajit. I lost a tiny kitten I'd rescued many years ago under circumstances that couldn't be helped too. It's awful. I just keep thinking about how these babies wouldn't have had any chance at all without someone stepping in to help 🐱❤
Quote 0 0
Toulajit
You are absolutely right! One good thing that came out of it is that we will be keeping her sister. I just couldn't imagine giving her away when she just lost her sister and she gets along well with our Zorn. I can't believe how much joy these little furry fluff balls bring to us. Darla was the sweetest kitten i'd ever met. One thing that comforts me is that I showed her love every day. She would jump on my lap and purr purr purr. When I would walk away she would yell at me 😂 I miss her so much but i'm excited to give her sister (unamed because we didn't think we would keep her) the best life that I can.
Quote 0 0
LuckyLouWho23
I’m so sorry for your loss of Darla. It’s hard when something tragic happens to our sweet family members. I’m glad to read that you’re keeping her sister. She will have a good home full of love. Once again I’m sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Yes, and be sure to give that precious baby a big hug from me too🐱
Quote 0 0