mysweetashley Show full post »
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Cheryl,

Your little girl "Ashley" was a beauty. Thank you for sharing a bit of her and your story and her photo here on the forum.

I think her cognitive dysfunction may have also contributed to her mindset at the end. Either way you had to show her mercy and release her from her pain & suffering and what was to come. It is important to remember and keep in mind that dogs in the wild's life expectancy is only around 10 years. And that is for a mid-sized dog. We humans extend their lives past their biological design by supplying them with shelter (from the weather / elements and natural predators), regular food and fresh water, occasional trips to the Vets and medication and treatment at times, and love and affection which is so important to overall well being. So although "forever" would not be long enough, 16 years is in incredible lifespan for a pup. 

I agree with many of the posts above including yours. Our beloved pets always wanted us to smile, be happy and laugh etc. Which is why they even tried to entertain us by being silly. My cat Marmalade also taught me how to always feel grateful, blessed, and content, as he was happy even though he was chronically ill, and a feral / stray with very little. And he also teached me how to live in the moment. Which is something which took me over 55 years to learn.

Marmalade could make me so grateful & happy to live in the moment with him, simply with his presence.  So yes, I concur, our lost beloved's wound not want us to be sad, depressed, anxiety ridden or racked with guilt and regret. They would try and shake us out of it, as they always did when we were having a difficult time in our life or had a bad day.

Like you said "Lets try and keep our chins up." Well said!

Kind regards,
James
Quote 0 0
mysweetashley
Memories_of_Marmalade wrote:

Hi Cheryl,

Your little girl "Ashley" was a beauty. Thank you for sharing a bit of her and your story and her photo here on the forum.

I think her cognitive dysfunction may have also contributed to her mindset at the end. Either way you had to show her mercy and release her from her pain and suffering and what was to come. It is important to remember and keep in mind that dogs in the wild's life expectancy is only around 10 years. And that is for a mid-sized dog. We humans extend their lives past their biological design by supplying them with shelter (from the weather / elements and natural predators), regular food and fresh water, occasional trips to the Vets and medication and treatment at times, and love and affection which is so important to overall well being. So although "forever" would not be long enough, 16 years is in incredible lifespan for a pup. 

I agree with many of the posts above including yours. Our beloved pets always wanted us to smile, be happy and laugh etc. Which is why they even tried to entertain us by being silly. My cat Marmalade also taught me how to always feel grateful, blessed, and content, as he was happy even though he was chronically ill, and a feral / stray with very little. And he also teached me how to live in the moment. Which is something which took me over 55 years to learn. He could make me so grateful and happy to live in the moment with him, simply with his presence.  So yes, I concur, our lost beloved's wound not want us to be sad, depressed, anxiety ridden or racked with guilt and regret. They would try and shake us out of it, as they always did when we were having a difficult time in our life or had a bad day. Like you said "Lets try and keep our chins up." Well said!

Kind regards,
James

James, thank you taking the time to write and to provide me with a beautiful reminder that my dear girl did lead a long and fulfilling life. In our grief and overwhelming sadness, it is so easy to forget. Death happens so quickly that it can truly turn our world upside down. Perhaps because we also fought so hard for her survival in the past 2 years, that I almost forgot what life was like before we had to act as full time caregivers to a senior pet.  

Seeing how reflective you are over the lessons Marmalade has taught you is so inspiring. He sounds amazing and so truly loved by you! You were both lucky to have found each other. I believe he would want you to be happy as well. 

I plan to start writing down all the positive experiences we have shared and what our lives together has taught me. I am also planning to reach out to vets in my country to highlight the importance of at-home euthanasia and hopefully they can choose to offer such a service. It is something I believe is so crucial after what I had to go through. It feels so cruel to have to put a pet down in their least favourite place in the world.   

Thank you once again, James for your comforting words.

Cheryl
Quote 0 0