jillyj1321
I was 10 when my family got our first dog, Snickers. He was a yorkie poodle mix, and he had traditional black and tan yorkie coloring. The first night we brought him home my parents had him sleeping downstairs in the kitchen. I could hear him crying in his crate from my room so I went downstairs to check on him. I wound up sleeping on the kitchen floor that first night, with him on my pillow, curled around my head. He was an escape artist, he always got out of the kitchen, no matter what we put up to stop him. He and I bonded so much. He turned to me when he was scared, especially during thunder storms, and would look for me when I wasn't home. Eventually we got two more dogs. Snickers didn't like having other dogs in the house. He tolerated them but he clearly missed the days when he was an only dog. He was friendly with other dogs though. My little 12 pound baby was best friends with the full grown doberman next door. He was also fiercely protective of us. He constantly patrolled our yard and protected us from everything, from birds to the UPS man. As he got older he became a little bit of a grumpy old man, he wanted to snuggle but only if you were in the position he wanted you to be in and you didn't move at all. As I got older, he was a constant source of comfort to me during very hard times. He got extremely mad at me when I left for college. He would follow me around for days when he saw me start packing, and the day I left, he would pee in the house to show his displeasure. When I was gone he would scratch at my bedroom door, trying desperately to find me. He would get mad at me even when I was gone for just a few days. I was on one of those short trips a few weeks ago when my family got the devastating news. Snickers, who was being watched by my grandma with the other dogs, had tried to take on a coyote. He was missing for about 8 hours before a family friend found him huddled underneath the grill cover at our neighbor's house. The friend rushed him to the vet and he went into emergency surgery. My mom flew home to be with him. A few hours after my mom got home, the doctors gave us the all clear, telling us that Snickers should be fine. Their only concern was infection at this point but they had stopped the bleeding. Just five hours later, we got the news that Snickers had died. It had just been too much trauma for him to handle. The vet later told us that he now thought Snickers had likely taken on two full-grown coyotes, not just one. It was so typical of my baby, to be afraid of thunder but then try to take on two coyotes. I never got to say goodbye to my baby. When I put him and the other dogs in their crates as I left for the airport, I didn't give him his usual kiss because I was in a hurry. The guilt over the fact that I didn't say goodbye and wasn't there for him when he was hurt and scared, is still really hard to deal with. I still cry on a regular basis. My baby died a few weeks ago and I wasn't there to hold him when he passed. He was only 10.
Quote 0 0
Bear_Bear
Jillyj I am so sorry to read of the loss of your Snickers.  Please don't feel guilty.  The few moments that you wish you could do over are nothing compared to the countless happy and loving moments that you were able to share with Snickers over the years.  Snickers knows you loved him and still love him.  Take care.
Robin Adrian "Little Bear"s Mom
Please sign my baby's guestbook?
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/ROBIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
seckie15
I have lost pets and not been there.  I so feel your pain.  I recently also put down the best cat ever and it tears me up inside.  We will always feel guilty about something... There will always be regret in one way or another, but rest-assured that Snickers knew just how much you loved him.  I'm positive that the love you had for him kept him going as long as he could.  Sometimes their little bodies just can't handle it - no matter how big their hearts are or how much we love them.  In the life he had he was lucky to have you and I'm sure he knew this.  He is still with you in your heart and smiling down on you, waiting to greet you again someday.  You will be sad and you will hurt.  You will feel guilty.  All of this is natural.  You have no reason to blame yourself for anything.  We do the best we can.  Sometimes our pets are taken for granted because they are always there loving us... they are always just there.  We never think about losing them, but the fact is we usually outlive them and dealing with the death of a being that only showed you love is so hard.  Just know Snickers new he was so loved by you.
Quote 0 0
Lety
I am so sorry for your loss, I know exactly how you feel, my baby was a Yorkie/Shihtzu, he was only 4 Years, he was such a baby literally, he loved being wrapped in a blanket and carried around the house like a baby. I miss him so much, and just like your dog, he was very protective of the house and kids. I hope your pain gets better with time, that is what I'm hoping for me too. I have faith that God is going to let me hold my baby once again, that is what keeps me going.
Lety
Quote 0 0
Gertie
jillyj1321 wrote:
I was 10 when my family got our first dog, Snickers. He was a yorkie poodle mix, and he had traditional black and tan yorkie coloring. The first night we brought him home my parents had him sleeping downstairs in the kitchen. I could hear him crying in his crate from my room so I went downstairs to check on him. I wound up sleeping on the kitchen floor that first night, with him on my pillow, curled around my head. He was an escape artist, he always got out of the kitchen, no matter what we put up to stop him. He and I bonded so much. He turned to me when he was scared, especially during thunder storms, and would look for me when I wasn't home. Eventually we got two more dogs. Snickers didn't like having other dogs in the house. He tolerated them but he clearly missed the days when he was an only dog. He was friendly with other dogs though. My little 12 pound baby was best friends with the full grown doberman next door. He was also fiercely protective of us. He constantly patrolled our yard and protected us from everything, from birds to the UPS man. As he got older he became a little bit of a grumpy old man, he wanted to snuggle but only if you were in the position he wanted you to be in and you didn't move at all. As I got older, he was a constant source of comfort to me during very hard times. He got extremely mad at me when I left for college. He would follow me around for days when he saw me start packing, and the day I left, he would pee in the house to show his displeasure. When I was gone he would scratch at my bedroom door, trying desperately to find me. He would get mad at me even when I was gone for just a few days. I was on one of those short trips a few weeks ago when my family got the devastating news. Snickers, who was being watched by my grandma with the other dogs, had tried to take on a coyote. He was missing for about 8 hours before a family friend found him huddled underneath the grill cover at our neighbor's house. The friend rushed him to the vet and he went into emergency surgery. My mom flew home to be with him. A few hours after my mom got home, the doctors gave us the all clear, telling us that Snickers should be fine. Their only concern was infection at this point but they had stopped the bleeding. Just five hours later, we got the news that Snickers had died. It had just been too much trauma for him to handle. The vet later told us that he now thought Snickers had likely taken on two full-grown coyotes, not just one. It was so typical of my baby, to be afraid of thunder but then try to take on two coyotes. I never got to say goodbye to my baby. When I put him and the other dogs in their crates as I left for the airport, I didn't give him his usual kiss because I was in a hurry. The guilt over the fact that I didn't say goodbye and wasn't there for him when he was hurt and scared, is still really hard to deal with. I still cry on a regular basis. My baby died a few weeks ago and I wasn't there to hold him when he passed. He was only 10.
Quote 0 0
Gertie
Your beautiful Snickers would not want to see you cry. He loved you too much and knew you loved him. Yes, he was too young but what a life he had. Sounds like he was the King. Just remember all the good times, all the love between you. It lives on. He is still watching over you, loving you from afar.
I lost my beautiful Lhasa Duncan 3 months tomorrow. He was 9. Yes I got to hold him as he passed, it did not help ease the pain. Now I remember the good times. I will miss him til the day I die.
I am thinking of you and hope in time you will smile again.

Hug's to you,

Duncan's Mom.
Quote 0 0
BubbaRaysmom
I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Snickers. I understand that pain you are feeling. My sweet boy was only 11 when he passed. It was one week ago today that I said goodbye to him and my heart is still broken and I still have so much pain. I"m so so sorry you lost your Snickers so soon. It sounds like you two had a special bond and it sounds like he loved you so very much. I hope you find comfort on this site it has helped me a lot. Take care, sending love and light
Quote 0 0