AHarris10
We have been advised that our precious boy Jim should be put to sleep. He is suffering from a number of age related illness and the light has gone from his eyes. It's clear he's had enough.

We're struggling to let him go. Our world revolves around him and we can't begin to contemplate life without him. I can't imagine not being dragged out on multiple walks, looking at the sofa and him not being there, kissing his huge nose and holding his paws while he sleeps.

The time will come soon and I know that nothing will ever be the same again.
Amanda
Quote 0 0
Bryn
Amanda. Jim is a beautiful boy and looks like he's been one of the lucky ones to have had a loving family and comfortable life. That's all they would ever ask for in this world and you have given it to him. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Chris.
Quote 0 0
MuchasMom
Amanda, I am so sorry for what you are going through with your dear Jim. He is so handsome, and clearly so loved by everyone in your family, even your cat! He must be a very special boy. I understand your struggle, this is the hardest choice to make. Until that time comes, spend as much time as you can with him, love him, spoil him, and hold tight to the memory of the beautiful life you shared. Know that you are not alone - everyone on this forum is so kind and supportive, and we all understand this heartbreak. Deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Emilie
Quote 0 0
AHarris10
Many thanks for all of your kind words.

We are just sitting here with him knowing this is his last day. His lungs are filling with fluid and his body is slowly closing down. We don't want to wait until he's in distress. He goes to sleep tomorrow morning. He seems to know. He's been having a hobble around and greeting his old pals.

Here in Brighton, UK we have an 'end of life' vet who has got to know him and will come to the house. We have one last night with him and I can't think beyond that. The house is full of his toys, treats and games and his photos are on every surface.

Our lives have revolved around him for so long. I don't know how I'll bear the pain of being in the house without him and of not holding him again.

Amanda
Quote 0 0
Manjack
Like you I knew for the last two weeks of my dog's life that he was dying. I cried a bucket of tears in anticipatory grief, that which USA online mentioned.
Despite knowing what was coming I was totally unprepared for life without him.
Take the time you have left and tell him how much you love him, soothe him, smell and touch his fur, lie with him, whatever brings him comfort. You will be glad later that you did this.
Unfortunately we have to make that horrible decision for them, our last gift to our precious pets. Like you our world revolved around our toy poodle.as I sit here looking at his urn and desperately wanting him back I still don't regret euthanizing him almost 8 weeks ago. Talk about mixed emotions!!!
It is so hard to learn to live without them, you are in for a rough ride. I know that all too well.
I found this forum a couple of days after my dog's death and thank goodness that I did. I found others who understood my feelings of panic and desperation and I came here frequently as I encourage you to do. I still visit daily.
Know that there are many people here who have walked your path, some more recently than others. We are here to support you and we grieve along with you.
You have given Jim a wonderful home, lots of love and a life that many dogs would envy. In time I hope that knowing this will bring you comfort.
Quote 0 0
AHarris10
Everyone we know says if they have their time again they want to come back as Jim!

He's not been the easiest of fellows to look after. He's a rescue and had a bad start in life, he was always running away and getting into scrapes.

But he's trained us well, his word is law around here, and he is the most stubborn, strong-willed hound I've ever met. I'm just hugging him and telling him his hound mummy is waiting for him. We only ever had him on loan from her.
Amanda
Quote 0 0
Cameronheel
Amanda,  

My heart goes out to you.  I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago with my dog and we knew that Sunday May 24 would be our last day and night with her.  It is rough and there is nothing I can say to make it any easier.  Just cherish your time with her and know that if your baby is in pain you are giving Jim the best last gift you could give him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

John
Quote 0 0
AHarris10
Thanks John. We are still in shock that he's gone. He was our world for so long.
Amanda
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
AHarris10 wrote:
Thanks John. We are still in shock that he's gone. He was our world for so long.

I'm so sorry for your loss of darling Jim. He's a beautiful boy. Thank you for sharing his photos. Making that dreaded decision is a terrible weight to bear, even if we know it's the only way. Jim was incredibly fortunate to have found you, and his love for you and yours for him is so evident in your words. He'll always be your world and you'll always be his. Meanwhile, he's playing happily with my Murphy and all the other precious furangels who were there to greet him when he arrived at the Rainbow Bridge.

Blessings and sincere sympathy,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
dogauthor
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn), you are truly kind and understanding participant in this forum, and you always seem to offer solace to those who are inconsolable, especially in the days immediately following the loss of a dear companion.

I especially love you quote that "sometimes there is a dog who completely wraps itself around your heart...."

God bless you, and may you find comfort for your own loss.

Richard
Richard Hooton
Quote 0 0