Littledogmom
I don't know if this is the right place dor this post. I have not lost my beautiful 14 year old Briitany -Britta yet, but she is scheduled to be put down soon. She has lost over half of her body weight, her kidneys are failing and she is showing signs of dementia. Making this harder is her primary human my daughter Brittany is studying abroad in Korea for a year and will not ne here to say goodbye in person. We had hoped the little dog would make it until she got home. My heart is so broken and I cant quit crying. Every time I loom at my beautiful little girl I cry. This is so much harder than I ever imagined. I am glad this forum is here because the other people in my house are sad, but they don't feel the loss lime Brittany and I do.
Quote 0 0
Lola2010
This forum is for grieving pet owners, and grief has started for you before you have even lost your friend. She is a beautiful girl and I’m sure she knows she is loved. I lost my Lola when she had to be suddenly put down after an attack, but I almost lost my Stella 6 months ago. She was on the verge of death so I had decided to have her put down, as her heart could have gone into arrest at any moment. She needed a pacemaker, but the cost was high and the recovery would be difficult, if she survived the surgery. I didn’t want my family coming home to find our baby Stella dead on the floor. I wanted my wife to be there with me, but we couldn’t coordinate a time for us to both be there yet, so I waited. As I waited, the grief torr me up inside and I decided I couldn’t let her go. I called the vet and he immediately scheduled her surgery for that night.

She survives to this day, although I too had endured much of the grieving process. When you have to put your dog down, you have to go through your grief and let go first, rather than after losing your friend. I know the feeling, and I know you must feel terrible. At least I had the luxury of having an option to save my Stella, but sadly it sounds like you do not. My Stella is only 10, but had she been older, I may not have made the decision as she would not have been a good candidate for the procedure. Know that your girl has has a long life—longer than average for a dog—and that she is loved. It will take some time, but things will get easier. I’m sorry for your loss, and I hope your memories of your girl are pleasant and plentiful.

Lola (top), Stella (bottom)
Quote 0 0
Littledogmom
Thank you for the kind words. I do have time left with her because of the situation with my daughter being in Korea we have carefully orchestrated the vet appointment and her cremation. Rolling Acres in Missouri has taken care of my families fur babies that have crossed the rainbow bridge for some time. They have been wonderful. They have helped us schedule time in the chapel with Britta so my daughter can take as much time as she needs via video chat to say good bye. I am making the most of every day I have left with her and boy do we have a great send off planned for her. But it doesnt hurt any less. Thank you again so much.
Quote 0 0
Littledogmom
In 10 hours I will hold my little dog Britta as she crosses the rainbow bridge. She had the best day a dog could have today. She spoiled rotten. Lately it is hard to get her to sit with us for any length of time because she is in pain or confused. Today she came and laid her head in my lap for 5 minutes as if to say thank you and I love you. The house wont be the same without her. I love you Britta. You truely made our house a home.I
Quote 0 0
Littledogmom
My Britta just took her walk accross the rainbow bridge. She was such a brave girl. Not even a whimper. She went quickly and peacefully. My heart is broken. It wont be the same house without her. I love you beautiful girl.
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
I'm sorry for your loss. You are doing the right thing for her, because you love her, and she knows that. It's hard to make these decisions, but I think they tell us as best they can what to do. Even if you aren't aware of it at the time. I made the decision to euthanize Paris at 12:15 pm on Oct 29th, not expecting to have to do it for weeks, or months. ( I was optimistic, as her health had been seemingly good until about 2 months prior to this.) I asked for the latest appointment the vet had to come to our house, which was 6pm. But we called them back at 1pm and asked that they come as soon as they could. She was just sleeping, as she hadn't been sleeping the last two nights, and she was on pain meds, but I knew she was not going to get up again from where she was laying on the floor by her bed with her head in my lap. I know she was too tired to go on much longer, and she had been noticeably relieved after the decision was made, so I knew she was ready now. She hated being compromised, by pain meds or anything else. I know she is grateful for me letting her go easily, safe and warm and loved. I know we were lucky to have the experience that we did, and I hope all goes as well as this painful experience can go for you.
Quote 0 0
Littledogmom
Thank you all for the kind words. As I was driving home tonight I turned on the radio only to discover that yet again Christmas music had started bedore Thanksgiving. But is was one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Do you hear what I here", rigjt a the spot where they talk about a star shining in the night. I looked up and peeking through the clouds(it has been cloudy and rainy today), I saw a small star shining as bright as it could. The only star visable. I thinks all of these things were drom Britta to let me know that her journey accross the bridge was successful. It brought me some peace, id only fpr a moment. Love you little one.
Quote 0 0